Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What flavours does it come in?

But more seriously, I've been  seeing a wide variety of well informed peeps mentioning they take a range of suppliments inc vit D , C and zinc, and other stuff too. Been planning to make a list. 

What exactly do you lot take?

Vit D ( quite high conc), echinacea (great to get rid of colds), cod liver oil and hobgoblin (gold or ruby)

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Vit D ( quite high conc), echinacea (great to get rid of colds), cod liver oil and hobgoblin (gold or ruby)

Hmmm never heard of  echinacea. And hobgoblin is prescription only or so I've heard.

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) seems to get mentioned quite often and spoken highly of. But this all seems well into the realms of quack medicine. 

Anyone know a doctor?

On the vitamin D thing, it is certainly true that a deficit of vit D decreases the effectiveness of the immune system. But you just need a normal amount. Having more than the correct amount of vit D doesn’t make your immune system better.

i think a fair proportion of the community doesn’t get enough vit d from sunlight, but I would imagine that boaters fare better than most due to the outdoor lifestyle.

Edited by nicknorman

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

On the vitamin D thing, it is certainly true that a deficit of vit D decreases the effectiveness of the immune system. But you just need a normal amount. Having more than the correct amount of vit D doesn’t make your immune system better.

i think a fair proportion of the community doesn’t get enough vit d from sunlight, but I would imagine that boaters fare better than most due to the outdoor lifestyle.

Yes to all this, and it seems terribly easy to get sucked into a world of cod-nutrition, where badly-informed amateurs circulate recommendations to take multiple supplements that cost astonishing amounts of money, albeit with the best of intentions.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Oi!

you knicked my tops.

Oh, I took him to be your dealer, trying drum up a bit more business....!

On 13/04/2020 at 09:46, MartynG said:

Man caught on camera  during Easter heatwave  with shirt off while  at the helm of a  narrowboat in Nottingham  - not a nice sight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11383100/brits-flout-coronavirus-lockdown-bask-parks-beaches/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=

especially when the boat name is my surname!

21 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I agree with you, we should get all our nutrition from diet. But ..... faced with what's happening it doesn't do any harm to pick up a bit of insurance. 

Just to add the fact we're all different, and I did read of a case of a lifeguard on a California beach that had a deficiency. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

But ..... faced with what's happening it doesn't do any harm to pick up a bit of insurance. 

As long as you are totally sure that it won't make your immune system overreact if you get the virus, obviously. 

I understand it's your immune system that does much of the damage in the severe cases.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I understand it's your immune system that does much of the damage in the severe cases.

This is something I've never seen discussed in proper detail. The deaths as I understand it are caused by the lung sacks filling with fluid and at the same time, the virus latching onto the heme in place of the oxygen leading to falling blood oxygen level and organs failing from oxygen starvation. A similar process to CO poisoning.

I saw this cytokine storm thing mentioned quite often a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem to get mentioned much currently. Seems to have been displaced by the above theory.

Must do some goggling about it.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

As long as you are totally sure that it won't make your immune system overreact if you get the virus, obviously. 

I put this in context with posts above. It appears non-white skinned people are being hit the most by this virus (in the UK). Thanks to evolution, dark skin pigment naturally restricts absorbing Vit D from sunshine as historically these races come from hot climes, whereas northern Europeans can't get enough Vit D from the sunshine because sadly we don't get enough of the 'current bun', hence we've evolved to have white skin to absorb more sun rays resulting in our bodies creating Vit D. Problems occur when dark skinned people start to live in climate that's different from their DNA homeland.... there's plenty of evidence about this on the internet.

Edited by Jennifer McM

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I put this in context with posts above. It appears non-white skinned people are being hit the most by this virus (in the UK). Thanks to evolution, dark skin pigment naturally restricts absorbing Vit D from sunshine as historically these races come from hot climes, whereas northern Europeans can't get enough Vit D from the sunshine because sadly we don't get enough of the 'current bun', hence we've evolved to have white skin. Problems occur when dark skinned people start to live in climate that's different from their DNA homeland.... there's plenty of evidence about this on the internet.

That is one explanation, but there are many others. Don’t you think that if there was valid scientific evidence that dark skinned people would fare better if they took vid D, the government scientists, who are all a lot better informed than you or I, would have suggested it? Or perhaps you think it is a government conspiracy to cull the “darkies”?

As you say, there is plenty of evidence on the internet about it, just as there is plenty of evidence that Coronavirus is spread by 5G. Hmmmmmm...

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

hence we've evolved to have white skin to absorb more sun rays resulting in our bodies creating Vit D. Problems occur when dark skinned people start to live in climate that's different from their DNA homeland

So to summarize this, you are suggesting we only need Vitamin D boosters if we are dark skinned?

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

That is one explanation, but there are many others. Don’t you think that if there was valid scientific evidence that dark skinned people would fare better if they took vid D, the government scientists, who are all a lot better informed than you or I, would have suggested it? Or perhaps you think it is a government conspiracy to cull the “darkies”?

As you say, there is plenty of evidence on the internet about it, just as there is plenty of evidence that Coronavirus is spread by 5G. Hmmmmmm...

This is a forum right.... for discussing. I mentioned in a post above that in the 70's when Ugandan immigrants were coming to live in the UK, some of their children developed Rickets - a lack of Vit D.  The people were encouraged to change their diets to incorporate more eggs. That's a fact!

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The way 5G spreads Coronavirus is dead simple:  The less-than-half-wits use their latest generation mobile phones to arrange to all meet up in the park ...

Theres a chap who posts on you tube about 5g and a particular video shows a tree with bark flaking off, he points to this as "proof" and comments that some idiot says this flaking is natural for the tree, rubbish he claims its 5g, whilst standing under a London Plane which is famous for its flaking bark and the interesting patterns it makes.

Another shows a tree which actually is in poor condition next to an LED lamp and claims it's a 5g transmitter, completely ignoring the recent trenching damage and excessive weed killer use.

Nutters everywhere :)