Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is another similarly puzzling, err, puzzle. Why approximately twice as many men die from it as women. 

Testicles

I have read that its down to the fact that the virus attaches to the ACE 2 receptors and men have many more of these receptors in their Testicles. For a similar reason people taking ACE inhibitors for hypertension have heightened ACE 2 receptors so again more likely to be affected.

So more receptors, more virus load on infection, more chance of death.

With a light virus load you are more likely to survive.

Virus load = amount of virus you get infected by when you get it.

Edited by Loddon

34 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Testicles

I have read that its down to the fact that the virus attaches to the ACE 2 receptors and men have many more of these receptors in their Testicles. For a similar reason people taking ACE inhibitors for hypertension have heightened ACE 2 receptors so again more likely to be affected.

Bollocks to you too mate.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Is it possible that BAME people don't socially isolate as much as white people?

Yes every possibility. 

Their culture dictates that they live in larger family groups which increases their risk of contracting the virus. 

They also congregate on a more regular basis for cultural and religious purposes,  all of which increases their risk of contracting the virus. 

It is no coincidence that they are a higher risk group it is just how they choose to live.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Also available to lefties in France ?

I found this. After being originally having a trust set up to dodge death duties.

"The left-wing Guardian newspaper has registered as a tax-exempt charity in the United States following years of financial turmoil, despite consistently campaigning against offshore tax avoidance by other companies".

Will have to dig a bit more to validate.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes every possibility. 

Their culture dictates that they live in larger family groups which increases their risk of contracting the virus. 

They also congregate on a more regular basis for cultural and religious purposes,  all of which increases their risk of contracting the virus. 

It is no coincidence that they are a higher risk group it is just how they choose to live.

Except this would only account for a higher rate of infection, not a higher death rate once infected.

56 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Testicles

Aha, I'd worked out it was something to do with angiotensin II receptors but wasn't clear beyond that. Don't suppose you can remember where you read this by any chance? 

Maybe this explains why 79% of male deaths with C-19 had hypertension, but only 39% or the general male population over 65 has it. Or so I think I've read! 

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is another similarly puzzling, err, puzzle. Why approximately twice as many men die from it as women. 

Could it be as simple as more men are out and about than women.... shopping, exercising, working, other?

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Don't suppose you can remember where you read this by any chance? 

No fraid not but if you google testicles covid 19 ace 2 there is more than you can read in a lifetime.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Could it be as simple as more men are out and about than women.... shopping, exercising, working, other?

Perhaps women are better at obeying rules.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Aha, I'd worked out it was something to do with angiotensin II receptors but wasn't clear beyond that. Don't suppose you can remember where you read this by any chance? 

Maybe this explains why 79% of male deaths with C-19 had hypertension, but only 39% or the general male population over 65 has it. Or so I think I've read! 

Any good? Talks about ACE2 from just after the start.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Rickent said:

I am not exaggerating,  it's like living in the middle of Tesco on the towpath here,  there are people out taking the Mickey,  having picnics and chilling out all over the place.

I am sat in my boat, 22 out of 24 hrs, only leaving it to shop or walk the dogs.

It's people flouting the rules which means we will all have to stay indoors longer.

Are you one of the picnic brigade that think this is all a joke?

Sadly there are some on here and elsewhere whose reaction will be along the lines of 'you don't own the towpath' as if that's the point. I don't know any more how to change their minds about this deadly virus. Maybe if someone close to them gets it they will finally understand not that I wish that awful reality on anyone.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

I found this. After being originally having a trust set up to dodge death duties.

"The left-wing Guardian newspaper has registered as a tax-exempt charity in the United States following years of financial turmoil, despite consistently campaigning against offshore tax avoidance by other companies".

Will have to dig a bit more to validate.

cant quite see the problem here, Guardian is owned by a non profit making trust and its news is free for all to read

Just now, Phoenix_V said:

cant quite see the problem here, Guardian is owned by a non profit making trust and its news is free for all to read

nor is it particularly left wing at least by international standards

7 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

It cant be left wing! I read it! It's free!?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

OK comrade ?

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It cant be left wing! I read it! It's free!?

It suffers from "BBC syndrome" dunnit?

If you are a right wing fascist like mrsmellyThe Guardian looks lefty to you. If you are left wing commie like, errr... most other boaters, the very same issue of The Guardian looks ridiculously right wing. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It suffers from "BBC syndrome" dunnit?

If you are a right wing fascist like mrsmellyThe Guardian looks lefty to you. If you are left wing commie like, errr... most other boaters, the very same issue of The Guardian looks ridiculously right wing. 

There you go. Just in the middle....sitting on the fence......just like me!

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Is it possible that BAME people don't socially isolate as much as white people?

I know in the 70's when BAME people starting migrating into the UK after that Tyrant Idi Amin threw them out of Uganda, many of their children had problems with their bones and rickets raised it's ugly head. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2630160/  Re 'English Disease' or 'Asian Rickets'

These Ugandan Immigrants were told to feed their children with plenty of eggs which are high in Vit D. I understand people with non-white skin have problems absorbing Vit D from sunshine. 

Vit D is essential for supporting the immune system..... maybe there's a correlation?

We've been on high Vit D and Vit K2 supplements since this wretched virus became a 'thing'.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes every possibility. 

Yes quite possible. Some posters are angry about this. I think it was Ian d who came to a very fast conclusion, blamed society for this, some kind of post colonial guilt I'd guess.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps women are better at obeying rules.

My wife wasn't. Oh well, she's gone now.

40 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I know in the 70's when BAME people starting migrating into the UK after that Tyrant Idi Amin threw them out of Uganda, many of their children had problems with their bones and rickets raised it's ugly head. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2630160/  Re 'English Disease' or 'Asian Rickets'

These Ugandan Immigrants were told to feed their children with plenty of eggs which are high in Vit D. I understand people with non-white skin have problems absorbing Vit D from sunshine. 

Vit D is essential for supporting the immune system..... maybe there's a correlation?

We've been on high Vit D and Vit K2 supplements since this wretched virus became a 'thing'.

Agree. Vit D very important for us oldies at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Agree. Vit D very important for us oldies at the moment.

What flavours does it come in?

But more seriously, I've been  seeing a wide variety of well informed peeps mentioning they take a range of suppliments inc vit D , C and zinc, and other stuff too. Been planning to make a list. 

What exactly do you lot take?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What flavours does it come in?

But more seriously, I've been  seeing a wide variety of well informed peeps mentioning they take a range of suppliments inc vit D , C and zinc, and other stuff too. Been planning to make a list. 

What exactly do you lot take?

Ramipril. Unfortunately.