Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MHS said:

There are services above Meadow Lane Lock on the Nottingham Canal, so maybe he’s on his way back from filling/emptying. 

That's  a possibility.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

I am not exaggerating,  it's like living in the middle of Tesco on the towpath here,  there are people out taking the Mickey,  having picnics and chilling out all over the place.

I am sat in my boat, 22 out of 24 hrs, only leaving it to shop or walk the dogs.

It's people flouting the rules which means we will all have to stay indoors longer.

Are you one of the picnic brigade that think this is all a joke?

If you're walking the dogs then you're joining all of us out exercising, since you too are out.

I'm not one of the picnic brigade, but you're taking what you see from your boat to suggest that people aren't abiding by the rules when the vast majority of people are doing and so therefore heavier restrictions shouldn't be necessary.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

If you're walking the dogs then you're joining all of us out exercising, since you too are out.

I'm not one of the picnic brigade, but you're taking what you see from your boat to suggest that people aren't abiding by the rules when the vast majority of people are doing and so therefore heavier restrictions shouldn't be necessary.

I don't have a problem with peeps who are out legitimately,  no matter how many there are but when I see folks walking the same dog three times a day, people sitting in groups chilling out in the sun , people fishing on the towpath it's quite clear that some are not taking it as seriously as they should, you only have to look around you to see what's happening. 

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The UK, of course, has a population, of which some have a very different outlook on life : "Me, Me, Me & Me", &  "I'll follow the rules if it is convenient to do so".

You might even say - You, you, you. 

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are currently discussions about the disproportional number of African / Indian people affected (fatality rate) and suggestions that whilst there may be an element of 'poverty' affecting the numbers, could it be something within the DNA ?

A high percentage of Doctors and nursing staff affected have been 'non-Europeans' so maybe it is not just 'poverty'.

Could there be something in the Eastern Asian DNA or culture which makes them more immune than Westerners are, who in turn are more immune than African / Indian people.

To avoid any suggestion of racism I have (maybe unsuccessfully) avoided the reference to Black & White but cannot really think of any clearer way of asking the question.

I posted on another thread about this. The Guardian was discussing this in an article 2 days ago - the high number of BAME origin peeps who get the virus.

One 'fact' presented was that in the first 10 doctors (front line response in hospitals) to die of the virus, all 10 were from a BAME background whereas only 40% of doctors in hospitals (front line I think) were BAME - as oposed to 'White'. That does suggest that they were less immune than 'Whites'.

As these doctors may have a far better standard of living than others, perhaps its not all about 'poverty' (although that has to be a factor). MP replied that BAME is too wider group to have 'common genes' and he may well be right.

As I said in the other thread, maybe these 10 doctors were more willing to get stuck in a the deep (high risk) end? Maybe they all still live with big families.

45 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I posted on another thread about this. The Guardian was discussing this in an article 2 days ago - the high number of BAME origin peeps who get the virus.

One 'fact' presented was that in the first 10 doctors (front line response in hospitals) to die of the virus, all 10 were from a BAME background whereas only 40% of doctors in hospitals (front line I think) were BAME - as oposed to 'White'. That does suggest that they were less immune than 'Whites'.

As these doctors may have a far better standard of living than others, perhaps its not all about 'poverty' (although that has to be a factor). MP replied that BAME is too wider group to have 'common genes' and he may well be right.

As I said in the other thread, maybe these 10 doctors were more willing to get stuck in a the deep (high risk) end? Maybe they all still live with big families.

There is another similarly puzzling, err, puzzle. Why approximately twice as many men die from it as women. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is another similarly puzzling, err, puzzle. Why approximately twice as many men die from it as women. 

X chromosome. Possibly.

"

What's more, she says, women also have two copies of the X chromosome, while men have only one.

"The X chromosome has lots of immune-response genes," Taneja says.

While women's extra X chromosome is generally silenced, she says, "almost around 10% of those genes, they can be activated. Many of those genes are actually immune-response genes."

That makes it possible, she says, that women get a "double-dose" of protection — although it's still too soon to know exactly how all this might play out in the context of COVID-19."

Edited by mark99

50 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Singapore IIRC went very early days to extreme lengths to trace anyone who was in contact with known cases and isolate them. Very targeted.

Our daughter lives in Singapore so we get the regular update.

In early Feb they were isolating peeps forcibly if they had it (ie they were tested) and all their contacts traced. As all residents have ID numbers it was easy to trace taxi rides etc, as all could be traced back to people. People not isolating when they needed to were put in jail. People who were not Singaporean were deported. Our daughter said it was quite scary. After the intial wave, it settled down but all the bars were shut (ones with food licenses stayed open, but even they have closed in the last week). They were however really strict measuring peeps temperatures. Downtown you couldnt get into an office block without them measuring your temperature. Every time you went in. People do what they are told in Singapore (otherwise they get locked up) so there is very little crime and compliance with what they are being told about the violence.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Could that be because the virus , as engineered by China, was targeted at the male population , but like some other products made in china it has proven to be not quite up to the required specification?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

X chromosome. Possibly.

"

What's more, she says, women also have two copies of the X chromosome, while men have only one. Taneja says.

While women's extra X chromosome is generally silenced.....

...you try silencing the Y one!!

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

The Guardian is owned by a lefty Trust, most, if not all of the rest are owned by individuals/families/nasty pieces of work with axes to grind.

I corrected that for you.

• Love 1