Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

There is no lockdown, more people walking past our boat than ever, groups of people, same dogwalkers two or three times a day , a thousand people a day are dying and idiots just carry on as normal.

Until excersise is banned then this will continue.

• Greenie 3

It must be an urban thing. It is as quiet as anything here, almost spooky, with only a handful of walkers and cyclists, plus  one or two joggers,  all maintaining a good distance from others. Perhaps we are a bit more responsible in the South West.

Edited by David Schweizer

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It must be an urban thing. It is as quiet as anything here, almost spooky, with only a handful of walkers and cyclists, plus a one or two joggers,  all maintaining a good distance from others. Perhaps we are a bit more responsible in the South West.

Yes, I think so.

When not on the boat I walk the dog on the GU stretch between Camp Hill and Olton. Not the most attractive stretch of towpath but handy to where we live. Normally there is no one about but since lockdown it has been crowded with peoples as to be un-useable with a large dog.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

There is no lockdown, more people walking past our boat than ever, groups of people, same dogwalkers two or three times a day , a thousand people a day are dying and idiots just carry on as normal.

Until excersise is banned then this will continue.

Don't exaggerate! It's quite clear there is social distancing functioning and fulfilling the purpose in preventing hospitalisation numbers from going through the roof. You are wrong to call for exercise to be banned.

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 2

Think most are taking it pretty seriously , at least on my bit of the Great Ouse.

Loads of walkers- 99% of which keep a respectful distance going round the country park opposite. 

Still a handful of idiots still going out on their dinghies / canoes /paddleboards- sadly mainly boaters.

4 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Think most are taking it pretty seriously , at least on my bit of the Great Ouse.

Loads of walkers- 99% of which keep a respectful distance going round the country park opposite. 

Still a handful of idiots still going out on their dinghies / canoes /paddleboards- sadly mainly boaters.

Whats the difference between going walking or doing the same exercise on water? except the distances between people on water is greater than the overcrowded tow paths around here!!

• Greenie 4

Just spoke with my lad ont fone. He runs a pub with a lovely beer garden on the bank of the river Avon. He has closed off all entrances to the car park and gardens and out signs up staying closed off due to the virus. Yesterday lad went out to a group of numpty lycra clad cyclists who had lifted their bikes over his garden fence and were sat eating in his beer garden with bikes lent against the sign stating closed. They said they were only stopping for a break and it was a pub garden. he explained it was HIS garden and politely let them know they were now leaving. As he waited and made sure these plonkers were leaving his property a couple out walking asked if he was open as they " Only wanted a coffee " :banghead:

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Whats the difference between going walking or doing the same exercise on water? except the distances between people on water is greater than the overcrowded tow paths around here!!

I agree-no harm in it at all.

BUT- Rivers are shut to all non essential traffic. Wheres the exercise in buzzing about on a dinghy other than pulling the starter cord anyhow.

If that is OK why shouldnt I or anyone else go out on my boat and get some exercise doing a few locks...

42 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

.........fat shaming? 

The absence of a shirt in this case doesn't give a good impression. 

The filming appears to be at / near  the Victoria Embankment at Nottingham . I may be wrong but don't thing there are any water points just there . He is upstream of Trent Bridge and heading upstream which is effectively dead end as far as navigation is concerned .

8 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I agree-no harm in it at all.

BUT- Rivers are shut to all non essential traffic. Wheres the exercise in buzzing about on a dinghy other than pulling the starter cord anyhow.

If that is OK why shouldnt I or anyone else go out on my boat and get some exercise doing a few locks...

They could have been rowing the dinghy?

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

The filming appears to be at / near  the Victoria Embankment at Nottingham . I may be wrong but don't thing there are any water points just there . He is upstream of Trent Bridge and heading upstream which is effectively dead end as far as navigation is concerned .

Isnt there some moorings up there on the left?

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just spoke with my lad ont fone. He runs a pub with a lovely beer garden on the bank of the river Avon. He has closed off all entrances to the car park and gardens and out signs up staying closed off due to the virus. Yesterday lad went out to a group of numpty lycra clad cyclists who had lifted their bikes over his garden fence and were sat eating in his beer garden with bikes lent against the sign stating closed. They said they were only stopping for a break and it was a pub garden. he explained it was HIS garden and politely let them know they were now leaving. As he waited and made sure these plonkers were leaving his property a couple out walking asked if he was open as they " Only wanted a coffee " :banghead:

I think I would have been throwing their bikes back over the fence, into the road!

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Don't exaggerate! It's quite clear there is social distancing functioning and fulfilling the purpose in preventing hospitalisation numbers from going through the roof. You are wrong to call for exercise to be banned.

I am not exaggerating,  it's like living in the middle of Tesco on the towpath here,  there are people out taking the Mickey,  having picnics and chilling out all over the place.

I am sat in my boat, 22 out of 24 hrs, only leaving it to shop or walk the dogs.

It's people flouting the rules which means we will all have to stay indoors longer.

Are you one of the picnic brigade that think this is all a joke?

Edited by Rickent
  • Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What is wrong with people, it is a joke to some. Absolute morons.

50 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are services above Meadow Lane Lock on the Nottingham Canal, so maybe he’s on his way back from filling/emptying. 

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

It must be an urban thing. It is as quiet as anything here, almost spooky, with only a handful of walkers and cyclists, plus  one or two joggers,  all maintaining a good distance from others. Perhaps we are a bit more responsible in the South West.

same here in Bristol.

as usual we are exemplary - the rest of the UK should follow our example but please - STAY AWAY!

Just now, Rickent said:

What is wrong with people, it is a joke to some. Absolute morons.

I agree. I myself though am not convinced lock down is the b all and end all. There appears to be far less deaths in places like south Korea and Japan and they have far less stringent rules than we do, Japan is still going to work and their pubs and cafes etc are open daily till 8pm. For me its all about complying with the governments rules as unless we all go in one direction then it all becomes pointless. I suppose in twenty or thirty years time we will have some idea of which country did the best job and why. We certainly are never going to find out for several years and not on this forum lol.

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Same here in rural West Yorkshire. I can walk the dog along footpaths and through the National Trust Hardcastle Crags. Normally it would be packed on an Easter weekend, this year hardly anybody, and the few I meet are mostly locals walking the dog or going for a run, all of us socially distancing when we pass without anything being said about it.