Kedian side hatches/doors 1 yr on (not impressed)

magictime

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, magictime said:

Interesting, thank you. It might (might!) be that the staining there is a separate matter from the leakage, then. However, that staining is cosmetic and not my main concern. My main concern (to reiterate) is that water drips out below gunwale level on to the dinette cushions after heavy rain (mostly below the opposite corner of the window, the bottom right), which suggests to me that quite a bit of water is finding its way in from outside and staying mostly out of sight between the steel cabin and wood lining.  

Hmm. I think your main issue is a different one from the problem the rest of us have been trying to diagnose!

Which end of that hatch is lower i.e. nearer the stern (assuming the boat is ballasted with the stern lower than the bow)? 

Water could be running along the under side of the gunwale for some distance before emerging. So all we can say at the moment is that the leak is probably either at the point where the drips occur or forward of that point. The leakage may be coming through the new side hatch, or it could be that the hatch installation interrupted a previous leakage path which deposited the water somewhere unseen.

Can you easily remove the cabin lining in the area of the leak to see where the water is coming from?

• Greenie 1

My side hatch has a "closed cap" in that it's a proper trad with a flipover hatch.

It does not stop, in certain crircumstances  driving rain entering the "hinged gaps" running down and, by capiliary action, sucking the water into gaps, ultimately dripping inside.

Use silicon around the metal to wood gaps and, most importantly and for the third time  :) buy and deply some neoprene seal strip.

Unless it's condensation.

I think the "closed end" is a possible red herring.

Edited by mark99

On 19/04/2020 at 09:13, fudd said:

Was it Ambrose Fleming by any chance?

Ambrose was a grammar school in Enfield. We had a similar shop just across a field. Used to nip out lunch time and burn our lips on a single Cameron between 3 of us. Oh what fun we had.