Kedian side hatches/doors 1 yr on (not impressed)

magictime

Featured Posts

It would seem to me they are better described as 'side opening windows' than hatches perhaps?

'Hatch' implies access and it doesn't look to me that they provide ready access at all rather ventilation on a warm day.

I have seen quite a few of these on boats, along with Kedians other work, and have never seen any problems prior to this. 

It is telling that the OP still hasnt come back to use with any better photos, or informed us whether the making good and woodwork was Kedian or someone elses. 

If the hatch has been fitted then subsequently the metal not insulated before lining(which looks likely with the stained wood) , then this is quite important.

Like my previous comment,  hatch delivered primed is rusty 2 years later, cannot be blamed on Kedian Engineering if the owner has subsequently not painted it properly or soon after fitting.

Edited by matty40s

55 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

On the other hand, this is the first negative review I have seen

Thank you for bringing me down to earth, Tree Monkey. Isolation is not helping me think clearly! You are of course correct, one should not be fooled by one negative post. It is the bigger picture that counts.

• Greenie 1

On 13/04/2020 at 18:16, matty40s said:

I have seen quite a few of these on boats, along with Kedians other work, and have never seen any problems prior to this. 

It is telling that the OP still hasnt come back to use with any better photos, or informed us whether the making good and woodwork was Kedian or someone elses. 

If the hatch has been fitted then subsequently the metal not insulated before lining(which looks likely with the stained wood) , then this is quite important.

Like my previous comment,  hatch delivered primed is rusty 2 years later, cannot be blamed on Kedian Engineering if the owner has subsequently not painted it properly or soon after fitting.

Sorry, I must have missed at least one email alerting me to new comments. 

The whole job was done by Martin - measuring up, manufacture of hatches, fitting which I'm sure included adding some insulation, wood lining. The steel was supplied with a coat of gloss and professionally painted within a few months when the rest of the boat was painted; the woodwork had three coats of exterior varnish added by ourselves very shortly after fitting. 

I might take some more pics tomorrow if people would find that useful. Someone (MtB?) made mention of the strange size and shape of the hatches; that's because they're designed to fit an existing window opening (they replaced two normal windows).

On 13/04/2020 at 14:20, The Happy Nomad said:

It would seem to me they are better described as 'side opening windows' than hatches perhaps?

'Hatch' implies access and it doesn't look to me that they provide ready access at all rather ventilation on a warm day.

I use 'hatch' rather than 'door' for just that reason, oddly enough! I think Martin calls them 'side doors'.

Hmmm thanks for the photos, they give a much clearer idea of what's going on.

I have to say it all looks very nicely done and nicely painted and looked after, and had it been me that made and fitted them I'd be all over this wanting to work out how came to leak. Not just because you are a dissatisfied customer but so I could avoid it happening to other customers in future. 

I'd say this can only be a design flaw (can we see some pics from the outside, of the frame, with the hatches OPEN please?) or an installation flaw, or a combination of the two. Its disappointing that Martin is not interested, never mind whether you are 'out of warranty' or not. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its disappointing that Martin is not interested, never mind whether you are 'out of warranty' or not. 

Particularly at the moment, as he has every excuse for not going to take a look and, presumably, plenty of time to be involved in an exchange of emails with photos, in order to help the OP to help himself.

Assuming the response was as described, (if not in so many words), I would think it will have done their reputation some harm. A different approach could have sent the reputation soaring higher than it already is/was.

I'd want to work out exactly where the water is coming in. So I would remove the horizontal wooden trim above the stained white panel - it only seems to be screwed on. That should help identify whether the rain is coming in between the doors and frame, in which case weatherstripping the joint is probably needed, or if the leak is between the frame and the cabin side, in which case Captain Tolley might be a quick solution.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I'd want to work out exactly where the water is coming in. So I would remove the horizontal wooden trim above the stained white panel - it only seems to be screwed on. That should help identify whether the rain is coming in between the doors and frame, in which case weatherstripping the joint is probably needed, or if the leak is between the frame and the cabin side, in which case Captain Tolley might be a quick solution.

I was thinking that too. I'd be dismantling the interior so I could get a really good look inside with a torch and a mirror. Especially given current circumstances where we are all stuck inside with not much to do. If the interior panelling will come off, it will probably become fairly clear where those black runs originate. 

On 16/04/2020 at 15:38, David Mack said:

Fair comment. and including those by MtB removal and investigation is the answer, having found this, perhaps include Mr K and ask his opinion...........tracking leaks on my boats and houses over the years have taken up lots of time over the years. The worst was Cockroaches and water from a Chinese restaurant above our office in Oxford.

1 hour ago, LEO said:

Fair comment. and including those by MtB removal and investigation is the answer, having found this, perhaps include Mr K and ask his opinion...........tracking leaks on my boats and houses over the years have taken up lots of time over the years. The worst was Cockroaches and water from a Chinese restaurant above our office in Oxford.

No 6 and 7 on their menu?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LEO said:

, perhaps include Mr K and ask his opinion...........

I think it seems that Mr. K has made his position clear.

Removing a few bits of the panelling ought to reveal more about where the leak is coming from.... hopefully it's within reasonable DIY capabilities.

He has also viewed this thread at least once, whilst I have been on it.

And thus far hasn't responded further.

So I don't think his position will have changed.

Mr and Mrs Chang closed their Takeaway and went to bed. During the night Mrs Chang got a bit randy and said to Mr Chang, Hey what about a 69, Oh no. and said, I'm not getting up and cooking at this time off night,  :giggles:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Me mum sent me out for 20 No6 when I was a lad.  I came back with a barrow load of fried rice...

The Newsagent / General Store that was just outside our school gates sold No6 & No10 in 'singles' along with a single match. It was a very popular shop at break & Lunch times.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Newsagent / General Store that was just outside our school gates sold No6 & No10 in 'singles' along with a single match. It was a very popular shop at break & Lunch times.

Yep, we had one that did that too.  Then in the 70's there was one who'd sell a single ciggy, three matches, and a large rolling paper...

The local barber used to let us sit in his shop and sold us single fags to smoke there. He also used to sell us the packs of 5 Park drive.

Was it Ambrose Fleming by any chance?

22 hours ago, mark99 said:

No 6 and 7 on their menu?

The water was from the restaurants washing up sink, did look like a rather thin soup, the 'roaches ran so fast they were difficult to catch and they dropped on to the banking counter making transactions tricky......

22 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Along with something for the weekend?

We were 13/14/15 at the time so probably a month too early for me. Imagine it these days, he would be arrested!! His shop was at the top end of two rows of bombed terraces still waiting to be cleared after the second world war lol. There were many streets left bombed for many many years.