Paint Queries...

Featured Posts

It's a bloomin nuisance. Rylard paint is more tolerant to a bit of dampness in the air. Touch dry normal time but takes a long time to fully harden, which in my book it should last longer, although I normally use synthetic enamels from vehicle re-finishig trade outlets.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Now looking to book cover to sort external paintwork... As I understand it from now on to winter its a bit dicey - when would you all consider it would be safe from next year??  March/April?  I need to book a fair way in advance so looking to sort.....

April to End Sept is the external painting season approx. However if you are undercover you have more flex depending upon what cover. Ironically in summer, undercover can shorten the painting day window. Those blooming polytunnels get too hot very early.

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

April to End Sept is the external painting season approx. However if you are undercover you have more flex depending upon what cover. Ironically in summer, undercover can shorten the painting day window. Those blooming polytunnels get too hot very early.

thanks, this would be at Calcutt Marina, not sure what they have...

10 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Calcutta have 3 docks, a double, a single and a green tent next to the lock itself. I suggest either of the 2 docks, the tent is narrow on one side. I’ve used all 3.

It's a bit of a black hole though.....

• Greenie 1

Oi have a sneakin suspician oi've said it before. I had a lot of Valentines Valflash synthetic vehicle enamel paint left over from painting commercial vehicles when I sold up and retired. Gave a lot away. I painted my boats roof with Vauxhall Wavecrest blue ''and old Viva colour'' 20 years ago, its had coal bags, bags of snow and Gokart tyres propping up a small solar panel most of this time, no bubbles or or rust popping up. Still glossy if I clean it.  Synthetic enamel should be sprayed really, fairly fast drying, so brush paint fast,  but a trade vehicle refinishig shop can supply ''Drops'' to add to the paint to slow down drying time to make it easier to brush paint in hot wheather or drops to speed up drying in cold weather. Not sure if Valentine paints still exist but Ault Wieborg and ICI do I think, both do synthetic enamel or brush painting coach paint and will mix any colour you require. There's a massive range of car-vehicle colours.   Remember Valentines Valspar, what a good paint that was for brush painting, not to mention Woolies paint.

13 hours ago, bizzard said:

Oi have a sneakin suspician oi've said it before. I had a lot of Valentines Valflash synthetic vehicle enamel paint left over from painting commercial vehicles when I sold up and retired. Gave a lot away. I painted my boats roof with Vauxhall Wavecrest blue ''and old Viva colour'' 20 years ago, its had coal bags, bags of snow and Gokart tyres propping up a small solar panel most of this time, no bubbles or or rust popping up. Still glossy if I clean it.  Synthetic enamel should be sprayed really, fairly fast drying, so brush paint fast,  but a trade vehicle refinishig shop can supply ''Drops'' to add to the paint to slow down drying time to make it easier to brush paint in hot wheather or drops to speed up drying in cold weather. Not sure if Valentine paints still exist but Ault Wieborg and ICI do I think, both do synthetic enamel or brush painting coach paint and will mix any colour you require. There's a massive range of car-vehicle colours.   Remember Valentines Valspar, what a good paint that was for brush painting, not to mention Woolies paint.

As an apprentice boy we use to paint out vans with Valspar in blue.

On 01/10/2020 at 09:39, dave moore said:

Calcutta have 3 docks, a double, a single and a green tent next to the lock itself. I suggest either of the 2 docks, the tent is narrow on one side. I’ve used all 3.

The single one is not full length unfortunately. We can reverse into it with a 62ft trad but the front well will not be undercover. Not sure what length you are ?

• 6 months later...

OK, getting close to this. We're booked in a single tunnel at Calcutt last week of April. Temps look to be ~15%c during day going down to about 7%c at night. I think its a poly tunnel, but if its not i was thinking is it an idea to take her out into full sunshine first thing to warm up each day...?

Still undecided on finish for the roof. It'll be rollered on and i'm thinking not to lay off so the whole roof is 'stippled' to aid grip  -probably laying off along the gutter areas to aid drainage?  The paint is Donegal Green international to go over the same colour roof.

Has anyone used Calcutt tunnels?  any advice/tips ????  :)

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

OK, getting close to this. We're booked in a single tunnel at Calcutt last week of April. Temps look to be ~15%c during day going down to about 7%c at night. I think its a poly tunnel, but if its not i was thinking is it an idea to take her out into full sunshine first thing to warm up each day...?

Still undecided on finish for the roof. It'll be rollered on and i'm thinking not to lay off so the whole roof is 'stippled' to aid grip  -probably laying off along the gutter areas to aid drainage?  The paint is Donegal Green international to go over the same colour roof.

Has anyone used Calcutt tunnels?  any advice/tips ????  :)

They do say that wire brushing might not be the best prep for painting over. I have always tried to avoid it if I can but I have never really kept notes on various bits of painting I have done. It looks like it polishes hard paint so I have always sanded, electric if possible but sometimes by hand even over non slip finishes. A film of paint is really thin so a couple or three coats is best. Others will have different ideas.

• Greenie 1

• 11 months later...

Following on from last years roof painting I'm now keen to clear up and paint the engine bay. I started during the warm spell a few days ago which went well, but frustratingly ran out of time and paint.

Now the temp has dropped and I'm trying to figure out if its viable in the next week or so as keen to finish. Next week seems to be typically 9oC 83% humidity so by my workings thats a dew point of about 6oC, with some bits I've read saying needs to be about 3oC above dew point, so getting close. I can choose to do just below or just above waterline if this helps - not sure if having water on the other side aids me or hinders me.... as its just the engine bay I'm not too fussed about 'finish' other than it would be nice if it sticks on!  am i pushing it??

20191021_084406.jpg

20220326_153215.jpg

I buy all my paints from SML,  not sure if the sell rust killer, Fertan seems to be recommended on here. 

Bilge paint is best for engine hole. 

I think the temperature of the surface is likely to be below that recommended by the data sheet, I'd certainly use a hairdryer to dry surfaces. 

Next week's forecast is not encouraging, there might be warm weather, or maybe not, but canal water will be cold. I'm hoping to paint topsides, but I'd leave engine hole for a good month. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Thanks LadyG. I was considering heating but then thought with cold water the other side of most of it I'll probably be creating condensation.... i think i'm going to have to be patient and wait until the temps improve as you suggest.... :)

Steel within about 6 in above and all below the  waterline  will not get above water temperature.  Down yer in Zummerzet we be having frosts until Monday, so I doubt that any where north of us will have open water that is warm enough for either Fertan or painting.

Water being a tremendous absorber of heat, it will be several weeks before the cut is warm enough to start painting or using rust converters near the waterline.  You can be getting on with the descaling and wire brushing in the meantime 🙂.

N

Applying heat or even air movement onto a wet paint film with the underside too cold is more likely to cause the top to dry and leave the lower parts of the film still wet. That leads to solvent entrapment which in turn causes microblistering. Something you may not want in a bilge that can get wet.

Probably best note the problem to avoid it next time and leave it to dry naturally.

37 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Steel within about 6 in above and all below the  waterline  will not get above water temperature.  Down yer in Zummerzet we be having frosts until Monday, so I doubt that any where north of us will have open water that is warm enough for either Fertan or painting.

Water being a tremendous absorber of heat, it will be several weeks before the cut is warm enough to start painting or using rust converters near the waterline.  You can be getting on with the descaling and wire brushing in the meantime 🙂.

N

Roll on global warming then we can paint bilges and tanks at any season.

On 12/04/2020 at 17:06, robtheplod said:

Also, thinking ahead to when I can start to paint the boat roof, it has some areas of grip (sand in the paint?) - i'm not fussed keeping these but is it possible to just paint over these patches if they don't have any rust patches etc?

I'm not sure why so many people don't seem fussed about keeping their non slip roof/deck? Why is the roof pained non-slip in the first place? If you just paint gloss over it you'll reduce it's non-slip properties and some people take the lot off and don't have any non-slip at all. Even if you're not fussed why not just add some non-slip additive to whatever paint you're using just to be on the safe side?

• Greenie 1