Paint Queries...

Featured Posts

Hi All

I've got some Toplac Donegal Green that was for use on my boat roof, but as I've not idea how long it'll be before I get back to it and my garage door needs attention I thought I could make better use of my time using the Toplac on this - overkill I know but maybe good practice for me!  I've read the instructions but I couldn't see how long it takes to dry (only the many ways it can kill you!)?  Can anyone hazard a guess?

Also, thinking ahead to when I can start to paint the boat roof, it has some areas of grip (sand in the paint?) - i'm not fussed keeping these but is it possible to just paint over these patches if they don't have any rust patches etc?

Yes, on a hot day might even be touch dry in 2 hours. 24 hours before putting a second coat on, but even then it might be a bit difficult if you wanted to sand it first. It then takes maybe a week for the paint to get fully hard.

I am a crap painter but I do like Toplac as its quite forgiving of my poor painting skills, but I am starting to appreciate Craftmaster a bit more of late, especially their high build undercoat which hides all sorts of poor prep.

...................Dave.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Even the sanded areas will need keying before painting over, otherwise you will get it flaking off very quickly. Use a wire brush or similar.

I'm pleased you said that.  I have seen so many sanded roofs flake new paint within a year that I ran a wire cup brush and a wire wheel all over my roof before repainting, fast enough to scrub it but not hard enough to strip it bare.

How long it will last I don't know, but so far so good.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Even the sanded areas will need keying before painting over, otherwise you will get it flaking off very quickly. Use a wire brush or similar.

Thanks. Got a sanded roof (ie non slip roof) to do this summer and was wondering same.

Edited by mark99

• 5 months later...

Now thinking about getting this done... obviously temps are falling etc so wondering if i've missed my opportunity this year?  Calcutt boats have a covered wet dock so maybe this is the thing to use but still not sure on temps as this isn't heated etc...?

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Now thinking about getting this done... obviously temps are falling etc so wondering if i've missed my opportunity this year?  Calcutt boats have a covered wet dock so maybe this is the thing to use but still not sure on temps as this isn't heated etc...?

Depends on the dew point temperature. Most weather apps show dew point for each 24 hour period.

Usually at this time of the year the night time temperature drops below this. However the current weather is keeping it (just) above this, which tempted me into putting a coat of varnish on my cratch board and rear doors. Luckily I got away with it.

On 12/04/2020 at 17:06, robtheplod said:

Hi All

I've got some Toplac Donegal Green that was for use on my boat roof, but as I've not idea how long it'll be before I get back to it and my garage door needs attention I thought I could make better use of my time using the Toplac on this - overkill I know but maybe good practice for me!  I've read the instructions but I couldn't see how long it takes to dry (only the many ways it can kill you!)?  Can anyone hazard a guess?

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Are you proposing to take the garage door to Calcutt boats ?

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Without heat, you're running into the back end of painting season. The weather we're having is great, but without cloud after, the heat dissipates over night and dew will begin to be a problem. The sun is warm still, but weaker. A draft will give rise to blooming. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Depends on the dew point temperature. Most weather apps show dew point for each 24 hour period.

Usually at this time of the year the night time temperature drops below this. However the current weather is keeping it (just) above this, which tempted me into putting a coat of varnish on my cratch board and rear doors. Luckily I got away with it.

Thanks, so looking on an app Dew point is 11oc at Napton, so I'm guessing so long as the temperature doesn't fall below this then from a painting perspective I'm ok?  sorry if this seems obvious!!

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks, so looking on an app Dew point is 11oc at Napton, so I'm guessing so long as the temperature doesn't fall below this then from a painting perspective I'm ok?  sorry if this seems obvious!!

I was trying to paint last October, each morning I'd 'mop the decks' to get the overnight dew off, towel them dry and go and have a cup of tea whilst they finally 'dried off'

Went back and the decks were as wet again, dried off again and started painting - the brush started just sliding in the moisture as the dew was forming as fast as I could dry it off.

Just gave it up as a bad job and planned to start this Spring, C19 put paid to that idea as we couldn't get to the boat until mid July when the travel restrictions were lifted.

13 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Yup, however i prefer to have a couple of degrees leeway, just in case the weather forecasters get it wrong, heaven forbid.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

The temperature of the steel surface must be above the dew point otherwise dew will form.  So you can’t start painting until the boat itself is a few degrees above the dew point.  In the morning the boat may be colder than the dew point, so you must wait until the boat is warm.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 2

Constantly amazed how much water can form on  steel overnight (not undercover) at this time of year and we live in  the tropics near to the equator (Surrey). OCT is the end and Sept you have to be an intelligent interpreter to choose your short painting window especially if your boat is in the frozen wastelands and tundra (north of Islington).

Edited by mark99

15 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Constantly amazed how much water can form on  steel overnight (not undercover) at this time of year and we live in  the tropics near to the equator (Surrey). OCT is the end and Sept you have to be an intelligent interpreter to choose your short painting window especially if your boat is in the frozen wastelands and tundra (north of Islington).

Painting!  Don’t talk to me about painting! Hot day today so perfect to get two coats on the decking outside the back door before the weather breaks. Cleared the decking, brushed in some cleaning solution. Got out the pressure washer... I’d get more pressure blowing down the blasted hose!  I’m not taking it to bits again, I’ve already repaired it once this year... no-one stocking a decent one local to me so I’ve ended up ordering one on Prime delivery from Amazon. I’m now hoping it arrives early so that I can get at least one coat of stain on the decking as soon as it’s dry. Gonna rain on Wednesday...  

Just when I finally got my round tuit. 

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Tommorow is the last outdoor painting day of the year....after 10am......depending on local fog clearance....(South of Manchester)......and not after 3pm .

Yup. I’m hoping the pressure washer arrives early...

On 20/09/2020 at 15:58, Higgs said:

Without heat, you're running into the back end of painting season. The weather we're having is great, but without cloud after, the heat dissipates over night and dew will begin to be a problem. The sun is warm still, but weaker. A draft will give rise to blooming. 

That explains a slight bloom I got on some work I did a year or so ago. It was undercover but next to a door and I left the door open. Kneeling doing the work I recall a cold breeze. Next day, came back door still open and the bloom was there. Luckily it's not a terrible bloom, but it's there!

46 minutes ago, mark99 said:

That explains a slight bloom I got on some work I did a year or so ago. It was undercover but next to a door and I left the door open. Kneeling doing the work I recall a cold breeze. Next day, came back door still open and the bloom was there. Luckily it's not a terrible bloom, but it's there!

It must be tricky for those who paint under flyovers; they always seem like wind tunnels.

Edited by Higgs