Engine compartment issue

Lambeth63

Featured Posts

I've been having intermittent issues starting my engine.  However it has been starting ok while on a hook up.  But yesterday I tried to start and it would not.  But there is a strong odour coming from the engine area.  My first thought was my pump out but that's just been emptied and the smell is definitely in the engine area .  Can anyone suggest anything it could be?

thw smell is overwhelming and it just started a day or two ago.

So I have 2 good batteries, one starter and one leisure .  I still have a starting issue.  I've had the engine compartment rewired. A new starter motor and when I try to start it there is nothing, fuses have been replaced and I am out of ideas.  

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If its the start battery that's shorting then it may not start. Even with a charger connected the battery has to provide a fair amount of electricity. Which battery is getting hot and smelling?

Hmmm I took Post 7 to mean he has just had new batteries, starter and wiring installed, and now the engine won't even turn over.

Yes isolator turned off the back on .

No the rewire was last year and it's been fine since until a couple of weeks ago.  I took it off the landline and could not start it .  Now even on the landline it won't start . 

• Greenie 1

The battery that was hot was a leisure battery . 

The person who rewired thought maybe a fuse but when I hooked back up to a landline it was starting fine .    It's just recently that I can't start it and the knackered battery I suspect was not related 

Yes the smell was just the last couple of days 

Look, your battery charger might produce 50 amps. The  starter probably requires abut 400 amps to start so there is no way the charger can provide the current to start the engine.

The smell tells us that you have a dry and probably shorting cell in the battery so it won't charge and as its now almost certainly totally ruined it can not add any current to the charger output so t won't start.

I did ask which battery smelled and was hot but got no answer. If it is the engine battery you have the answer.

1 minute ago, Lambeth63 said:

The battery that was hot was a leisure battery . 

The person who rewired thought maybe a fuse but when I hooked back up to a landline it was starting fine .    It's just recently that I can't start it and the knackered battery I suspect was not related 

Yes the smell was just the last couple of days 

OK, are you sure the engine battery is well charged. it too may be faulty.What voltage does it produce with the key turned to start?

If you have been staring with low battery voltage the extra current flow may have damaged the master switch, especially if it has a plastic key. Try connecting both master switch wires on one terminal as a test. Yes it could be a fuse or a faulty multi-plug on the main engine harness. Beta for instance hide an inline fuse down close to the engine. if this blows you won't get any warning lamps or instruments as well as no starting.

1 minute ago, Lambeth63 said:

It's a 2.5 litre marinised  ford transit diesel, apparently about 35 years old.

ok I'll ask around and have a go tomorrow thankyou ?

So its a rarer beast and possibly not marinised by a established mariniser, possibly by Club line boats. I suspect voltage tracing will be needed.

When we were moored at Compton the boat  next to us was on continual landline charging due to dodgy batteries and it was just being used as a lodging by a young bloke.

Ambulance arrived one morning along with Fire brigade as the occupant had been overcome by battery  fumes.