Talking pictures TV

archie57

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Great. Found this out way after event.

trouble with being technophobes.

whatever talking pictures tv is?

did an internet search ( we have the broadband thingy now we are locked in our second home) but couldnt get anything.

can you video it?

If you have a telly it's Freeview 81

33 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Thank you. Whats freeview?

Sorry sounds as if i am messing you around.  Im not. 
Only got tv last year (wondering why) we missed all kinds of tech moving abroad, just plugged in arial and found a few channels mostly quizzes cooking and crap. How do you get freeview?

You may find this helpful.

https://www.freeview.co.uk

If still none the wiser, best ask a teenager!

Howard

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Great. Found this out way after event.

trouble with being technophobes.

whatever talking pictures tv is?

did an internet search ( we have the broadband thingy now we are locked in our second home) but couldnt get anything.

can you video it?

Talking Pictures is a çhannel on Sky and Virgin. Not sure if it's available on Freeview. They tend to show older films, many in black and white . Well worth seeking out. Recording it depends upon your setup. This evening I watched an old (1950s ) comedy Rockets Galore i recorded a few days ago . Passed a couple of hours

9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Talking Pictures is a çhannel on Sky and Virgin. Not sure if it's available on Freeview. They tend to show older films, many in black and white . Well worth seeking out. Recording it depends upon your setup. This evening I watched an old (1950s ) comedy Rockets Galore i recorded a few days ago . Passed a couple of hours

Yes, available on Freeview, channel 81 as mentioned earlier.

Howard

12 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Thank you . That explains why our tenant had that hideous dish thing i removed.

we only get 7 channels and they go out when the sheep fart in the paddock.

I will have to go to curry’s and try and stop my eyeballs rotating. Its our first digital tv .

Rescan your TV.

If you are getting any TV channels through an aerial at all, (ie you don't have a satellite dish or cable TV) then your TV must be getting Freeview - it's the brand name for digital terrestrial TV in the UK.

Go into the menu on your TV and look for either "rescan all channels" or "first setup" type of options, and select them.

In about 10 minutes you should have more channels.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Only got tv last year (wondering why) we missed all kinds of tech moving abroad, just plugged in arial and found a few channels mostly quizzes cooking and crap. How do you get freeview?

If you have a TV and an Aerial and are watching "moving pictures" you're probably watching Freeview!

"Talking Pictures is a channel on Freeview (channel 81) but you have to scroll past all the TV Shopping Cr** to get there...

[ ETA - "TheBiscuits" beat me to it... ]

Edited by 1st ade

Aah! The simplicity of switching on, waiting for it to warm up, and watching the test card. One channel.

We have a digital TV, no ariel, no licence. If it needs resetting - I'm lost - my daughter sorts it out. We watch Netfix through a subscription, You Tube and Amazon Prime another Subscription. Ch4 & 5 are there but don't bother with it much. If it went t*ts up I wouldn't miss it, but the wife & daughter would have panic attacks. No idea if it has freeview or not. Went decades without TV from 1968. Never had one when we lived afloat.

If I lost the computer I would lose contact with a way of life once lived, but I might also begin to live the one that I'm missing through being addicted to a keyboard.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Thank you our last tv on boat was analogue and we never bothered in oz.

only bought it for tour de france.

We are in a very poor reception area dont know if that makes any difference. Arial probably same age as house 1890

In our part of Barnoldswick, we get TV via a repeater station as there is a hill between us at the main transmitter. As a result, we cannot get anything like the full Freeview service. You may have the same problem.

On 12/04/2020 at 08:10, 1st ade said:

If you have a TV and an Aerial and are watching "moving pictures" you're probably watching Freeview!

"Talking Pictures is a channel on Freeview (channel 81) but you have to scroll past all the TV Shopping Cr** to get there...

[ ETA - "TheBiscuits" beat me to it... ]

Please note that Channel 81 is not available in all areas.

Also worth checking if your local transmitter is horizontal or vertically polarized. Normal transmitters are horizontal but some infill transmitters are vertical. I know from the boat that you can get some digital channels if the aerial is wrong but only the very strong ones. Check which way the little cross bars on the aerial are compared with other properties. If its an old aerial there may be water inside the down cable. That can cause probables as well.

On 13/04/2020 at 19:16, mark99 said:

Channel 81 is worth checking out for those who like British films etc.

I love these old English Films that show the Country as it used to be , I call it the BREXIT Channel , I've been watching for 6 weeks now and haven't saw a Foreigner once ?