How would you add a lock to the rear hatch/door?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

I might be missing something, but I don't know how to fit the bolts to the sliding hatch, which is made of thin steel, without putting holes through it.

Drill countersunk holes from the outside, use countersunk machine screws with nyloc nuts on the inside, then fill the machine screw screwdriver slot (or whatever), sand flat and paint. That leaves no fixings showing and nothing for a thief to unscrew.

On 11/04/2020 at 12:36, David Mack said:

For safety you want a lock that can be opened from the inside, so you can always escape in the event of fire. 

I dislike padlock arrangements for making it obvious that no one is in but also perhaps worse, is the ability for others to be able to trap you inside. This could be to steal outside possessions, humour or to do harm.

3 minutes ago, luggsy said:

This is our set up 2 combinations bolts lock hatch in place then the jimmy proof lock locks the door to the hatch very secure 

I'd recommend changing your combination from 1976 now you have posted it online for all to see ...

• Horror 2

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't want to undo that lot in a smoke filled boat

They are used as normal bolts , what's hard about sliding 2 bolts and turning a key ? If there was that much smoke I would leave by the bow doors 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't want to undo that lot in a smoke filled boat

You can (usually) leave them with the combination dialed in so you can just flick them open.

I'm not sure what the point of them internally is though, and I wouldn't trust them externally as they are too easy to figure out. 

18 minutes ago, luggsy said:

They are used as normal bolts , what's hard about sliding 2 bolts and turning a key ? If there was that much smoke I would leave by the bow doors 

If you leave them set to the combination, then why not just use plain bolts?

What happens if in the confusion of an emergency even one of the number rings gets displaced? Could quite easily happen.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you leave them set to the combination, then why not just use plain bolts?

What happens if in the confusion of an emergency even one of the number rings gets displaced? Could quite easily happen.

Because plain bolts are flimsy and if I was to leave the boat on a tow path I can set them and if you got in you would not enter by the doors with the bolts and the deadlock on , I think I would squeeze through the other door just. By turning a key

12 hours ago, luggsy said:

Because plain bolts are flimsy and if I was to leave the boat on a tow path I can set them and if you got in you would not enter by the doors with the bolts and the deadlock on , I think I would squeeze through the other door just. By turning a key

Those combination bolts look pretty flimsy. You can get plain bolts which are more substantial.

If you use the combination when you leave the boat, do you always reset the bolts immediately on returning to the boat? If not, the hazard remains.

44 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I had one of those but it wasn't very secure - I found that the screws on the hasp and the front of the bolt had to be too close to the door edge to provide me with confidence.

I turned the hasp around the other way when I used one. On another it shot into the face, so I made a flat plate.