Re-sealing Windows

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

12 mm x 3 mm for channelglaze according to their helpful lady. Looks about right.

Fitted my new windows on a new shell with 15 x 3, but when I re-fitted old windows on Halcyon I used 6mm which helped take up the undulations in both the frames and the sides. The only problem I had was getting long enough rivets to compress the tape.

I re-sealed some of our windows with arboseal. It is very tacky, very black and slightly water soluble. And very messy. Didn’t get on well with it, partly because it never sets at all and thus gets squeezed out over time.

I switched to 3mm closed cell foam, with a lick of sikaflex on the outside edge just for neatness. Much better!

13 minutes ago, Dave .Morialta said:

I have been told to use arborsyl as it doesn't stick or set hard anyone used it before?

I used it when fitting Houdinis, it came with the hatches.

Its very messy, ultra sticky and stringy. It takes years to set so you have to be careful tightening down to avoid squeezing it all out everywhere. Having said all that, it does not leak so suppose its good.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dave .Morialta said:

So when using the  Neoprene did you use any type of sealant or just the tape . 

No sealant on the tape, but I did put some sealant round the very outside (I had the tape inset a bit). Mostly because I though having exposed tape wasn’t the best idea, would collect dirt and growths etc. The small amount of sealant around the outside presents a nice looking edge. But my tip for doing that is to mask it off both on the hull and the window, before you add the sealant, otherwise it can get very messy!

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No sealant on the tape, but I did put some sealant round the very outside (I had the tape inset a bit). Mostly because I though having exposed tape wasn’t the best idea, would collect dirt and growths etc. The small amount of sealant around the outside presents a nice looking edge. But my tip for doing that is to mask it off both on the hull and the window, before you add the sealant, otherwise it can get very messy!

I need to do that as well but it will probably be full of moss by the time I get back

• Horror 1

Thanks, for the product link.?

Ordered 6mm x 15mm to reseal my bedroom and kitchen window!

Bedroom window terrible. Currently got gorilla clear tape to stop my mattress getting wet!

Hope the 20 year old Channel Glaze windows come out in one piece! Mine are screwed in.

James.

My 14 x 15" portholes were sealed by the builder with a PU sealant, but I guess it's difficult to use tape for round windows? I think they used Marineflex. Since they've been leak free for 15 years I'd reseal them with the same stuff if they ever did develop leaks. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

My 14 x 15" portholes were sealed by the builder with a PU sealant, but I guess it's difficult to use tape for round windows? I think they used Marineflex. Since they've been leak free for 15 years I'd reseal them with the same stuff if they ever did develop leaks. 

I’ve used foam tape for our portholes, it is reasonable easy to take round corners, especially the thin (3mm) stuff. But in your case if it ain’t broke...

After over 5 years my windows i fitted have been fine with Neoprene tape stuck down with adhesive.

these 

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1#14

And the 2 part water proof adhesive in this l;inkj.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1#14

With a little Sikaflex 291i to trim it off.

Sikalfex joints in windows, if you use it alone can be removed in the future using a Multitool. Just gaffer tape around the window so not to damage the paint work and cut away.

Captain Faffer :)

I just used tape that was a bit too wide,  then ran a knife around the edges before fitting to give a clean edge.  No problems in 10 years,  and no need to mess around with sealant. I don't have any issue with moss etc growing on it.

Richard 

10 hours ago, Dave .Morialta said:

So having read all the advise and watched a lot of videos i am going with Neoprene tape 12mmx3mm and applied to aperture and a small bead of sikalflex around outer edge of window frame applied to the frame before fitting . Does this sound ok everyone ????

I would put the sikaflex on after fitting. I think it could get very messy doing it before. You can fit the window but not fully tighten the screws so that there is a decent gap to squirt in the sikaflex, using the nozzle uncut or barely cut. Then tighten the screws to compress the foam, sikaflex oozes out and you remove the excess.

Edited by nicknorman

If you're having to use sikaflex with the tape wouldn't that indicate that the tape doesn't work? ?

Seriously though, doesn't using sikaflex with the tape negate the benefit of using tape (the benefit being not having to use sikaflex!)  

Edited by blackrose