Midland Railway Co narrowboats

Fmc_rob

Featured Posts

Just now, archie57 said:

AFAIK Mr Sibley was 3-handed at this time, but there many two-handed boaters who would have no choice but to work the boats abreast if the locks were against them.

The young lady in the hatches is Selina. Tom's daughter.

2 hours ago, archie57 said:

The pair going uphill wouldn't have needed to breast up, the butty steerer would have stopped it with an uphill strap (seen on the anser pin) before looping the strap round the next stump forward to stop the boat running back into the bottom gates when the paddles were drawn. The butty steerer is no doubt in the cabin attending to something!

Working the boats abreast loaded would be a lot slower, especially going into the locks going uphill when the water has got to get out  past the boats.

I never steered a loaded pair - and even camping never had a regular butty steerer capable of handling boats and lines like that, so I was effectively single handed with the boats, but with plenty of lockwheelers - but this makes perfect sense.

Amazing photos ...

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

This series of photos has been discussed frequently before.

Although it is usually attributed (as here) as "Grain to Wellingborough", I am dubious that slack boards would have been required on a "big boat" butty when carrying grain, (which was surely normally contained within special grain cloths hung within the hold, so would not have been piled significantly higher)..

It looks far more likely that the butty is carrying some kind of boxed or crated cargo to me.

What do the team think?

On 12/04/2020 at 16:48, Ray T said:

Tom Sibley did. :)

sibley.jpg

I'm assuning the motor coming down is probably the "Water Rambler" ("Star"), but I am intrigued by the converted (presumably wooden hulled) butty it has in tow, which doesn't look like part of the BW fleet.  Any ideas what it might be, or why under tow by that motor?

Just now, jeannette smith harrison said:

This photo is from the late Jim Payler collection it  may have been requested by jim for the fllowing shot 

Jim PAYLER PHOTO OF TOM & sELINA sIBLEY [1].jpg

Tom was the brother of my Godfather & i remember him as always being dressed smart .The next photo was given to me in a box of family photos many years ago taken to my knowledge 1958/9 at little venice he often wore his  jacket & hat 

Tom Sibley little venice 1958.jpg

• Greenie 1