Wooden Windows

Featured Posts

Hello!! My girlfriend and I have just bought ourselves a narrowboat shell from Leicester and we're trying to make a decision on windows. I would love to build some wooden ones so they can be double glazed, not at an extortionate price. It would also obviously remove the condensation you get with aluminium frames. So, would anyone out there be able to tell me a good reason why building wooden windows would be a horrible idea? and if it isn't such a horrible idea could anyone help with a design??

Thanks in advance

The problems are often that they sit proud from the side of the cabin and can be damaged. I like wooden windows and made some for my own boat thirty years ago, you wouldnt want to make them like I did lol. Decent ones though will cost as much as buying off the shelf metal ones with a thermal break.

17 minutes ago, jakenaljib said:

Hello!! My girlfriend and I have just bought ourselves a narrowboat shell from Leicester and we're trying to make a decision on windows. I would love to build some wooden ones so they can be double glazed, not at an extortionate price. It would also obviously remove the condensation you get with aluminium frames. So, would anyone out there be able to tell me a good reason why building wooden windows would be a horrible idea? and if it isn't such a horrible idea could anyone help with a design??

Thanks in advance

Wooden windows go rotten and leak.  Aloominum ones only leak.

N

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Which video covers the windows?

Unfortunately you'll have to look through the early videos, he does a lot of building in his garage at home, then shows fitting on the boat.

3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 will get you started.

Wood and metal expand at different rates with heat, a narrowest steel side in full summer sun can get to hot to touch so about 50 degrees or more. Also wood expands and shrinks with moisture, a boat lives in a damp atmosphere. Both make sealing to prevent leaks difficult and probably temporary.