Mass break into club boats

BWM

Featured Posts

I'm guessing this happened overnight. All looked secure when we passed to turn round yesterday lunchtime. 

Must be a high percentage of all the boats there? Gutting for ther owners, and worrying for other boaters moored locally. 

The criminals are struggling with people at home all day and night.

Round this way, several milkman have been robbed, of milk, eggs other stock... and cash

Edited by magpie patrick
Edited to remove unsupported claim

37 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Police notice round here is the thieves have switched to commercial prems etc. Cos generally empty.

The Police are too busy patroling aisles of supermarkets, inspecting shoppers' trollies for "non-essential" items.

0_tweetJPG.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tom and Bex said:

I'm guessing this happened overnight. All looked secure when we passed to turn round yesterday lunchtime. 

Must be a high percentage of all the boats there? Gutting for ther owners, and worrying for other boaters moored locally. 

Someone just beyond the Kings arms had a torch shone into their boat, they challenged the person and told him to do one. The description matched

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

Scum taking advantage of the lock down no doubt? They know nobody is around on the boats.

Not helped by public notices informing everyone that boats cannot be visited by their owners. 

Just back from checking my boat at the Black Buoy Cruising Club.  It was not one of the ones broken into. Sadly, met with three club members who had suffered breakins.

It seems that either large windows were broken or front doors under cratch covers were forced to gain entry. Drawers and cupboards were turned out onto floors but nothing taken other than small amounts of money.

14 minutes ago, junior said:

Surely if you're told a load of boats have been broken into at the place you moor your boat you're going to go and check on it. I'm all for calling out unnecessary travel, but this seems totally justified to me.

At our boat club you would be told if yours was one of them.  Maybe it's different at this one?

I have no issue whatsoever with those who had boats broken into going to check them.  

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

At our boat club you would be told if yours was one of them.  Maybe it's different at this one?

All well and good but would you be told if yours was NOT one of them? Or would they leave you to worry?

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What the law actually says is that one can’t leave home except with a reasonable excuse.

Followed by "a reasonable excuse includes..." follows by a list of examples; "includes" would suggest that the examples are all reasonable excuses but there are more. As with Nick, "I have been told that my boat has been broken into" is reasonable (with the proviso that you test "reasonable" - if my boat was moored in Hampton Roads I'd phone a friend; if 40 miles up the GU I'd get in the car)

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

There is no mention in the new Coronavirus law of “unnecessary journeys”. It is a made up thing by the police, like no buying of non-essential goods from supermarket aisles (eg Easter eggs) little Johnny can’t play in the front garden, you can’t walk alone in the Peak District etc.

What the law actually says is that one can’t leave home except with a reasonable excuse. Receiving Information that your boat has been broken into is, in my opinion, a reasonable excuse.

Really interesting to see how fascism rears its head when there is a crisis on, I guess that’s how it takes hold.

Yes. Some chief constables seem to be rather enjoying a power trip...I notice there’s been some hasty back tracking after the public quite rightly got irate with the abuse of power. If the current situation persists I predict not only an increase in crime but also dissatisfaction with authority in general. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yes. Some chief constables seem to be rather enjoying a power trip...I notice there’s been some hasty back tracking after the public quite rightly got irate with the abuse of power. If the current situation persists I predict not only an increase in crime but also dissatisfaction with authority in general. 

Cambridgeshire police blamed one particularly egregious tweet on an "over-exuberant officer". IMHO there's very few traits worse in a police office than "over-exuberance". 

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Cambridgeshire police blamed one particularly egregious tweet on an "over-exuberant officer". IMHO there's very few traits worse in a police office than "over-exuberance". 

MP.

I found it interesting that they blamed one particular officer rather than accepting that they made a policy mistake as a force....says a lot that they sacrifice the foot soldiers.....

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

I find myself wondering how much "exuberance" in a police officer might be considered 'about right', given this one had too much. 

• Haha 3

There will always be those who feel that they are above - not the law - but living in a sensible manner in view of the current situation. It would take years to come up with an all encompassing set of laws to cover all eventualities, so common sense has to prevail.

Its the ones that don't give a damn if they either get this virus, or if they spread it around. They are the ones that a good dictator would soon sort out. Luckily (maybe?) we don't live in a dictatorship so the arses, and they know who they are, will continue to push the envelope to carry on living their normal selfish lives. Let's hope we all have long memories and can, after this is all over, bring the circle round, and not for example, use any tradespeople or shopkeepers who are using this virus to make excessive profits from it etc, and remember the selfish arses who carry on regardless of anyone else.

Easter rant over!!!

6 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

There will always be those who feel that they are above - not the law - but living in a sensible manner in view of the current situation. It would take years to come up with an all encompassing set of laws to cover all eventualities, so common sense has to prevail.

Its the ones that don't give a damn if they either get this virus, or if they spread it around. They are the ones that a good dictator would soon sort out. Luckily (maybe?) we don't live in a dictatorship so the arses, and they know who they are, will continue to push the envelope to carry on living their normal selfish lives. Let's hope we all have long memories and can, after this is all over, bring the circle round, and not for example, use any tradespeople or shopkeepers who are using this virus to make excessive profits from it etc, and remember the selfish arses who carry on regardless of anyone else.

Easter rant over!!!

??

Sorry to hear this, if glad your boat was not one of the effected. Obviously going to check if you where not sure if you where directly involved is a valid journey. 

Our boat, like many expect, which valuable and full of almost irreplaceable steam engine and work by my late grandfather, has almost nothing of material value to a petty criminal. Something I have taken some solace in and a reason we intentionally leave some gaps in the curtains, but if they have butchered the door or window to find that out, much of the damage is already done!

Daniel

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Fascism? Are you sure?

I was talking to some neighbours the other day (from a safe distance) and one of them said "it might become a fascist country after this. This Tory govt tried that already didn't they."

I couldn't help thinking I must have missed the news that day. Was that when the country became a dictatorship, the leader of the opposition was locked up, the right to free speech and a free press was suppressed, millions were marched off to concentration camps and there was mass genocide of minority groups?

Honestly, I'm no fan of the Tory govt and I've never voted Tory in my life, but accusing the authorities in this country of fascism is really silly. It's analogous to Godwin's law.

The police have a new social distancing law to interpret very quickly and without any training. In the vast majority of cases in thousands of encounters with the public they're getting it right. If in a few highly publicised cases they get it wrong is that really surprising? Yes it's wrong but speaking as as a Jew who's grandparents fled from Eastern Europe I can tell you it's a long way from fascism. And no, this is not how it takes hold. Read some history.

No, for clarity I am not suggesting that this country is turning into a fascist state. My point was that at times like these, certain people “come out of the woodwork” as having fascist tendencies. Suddenly seeing an opportunity to exert control over others, disregarding democracy “because what I am doing is best for the country, regardless of what the law might say”. Kind of weaponised self-righteousness.

Obviously we are a long way from being a fascist country, my point was that there are clear demonstrations of how these things can take hold. How, for example, Hitler, Mussolini etc were allowed to rise to power with the tacit consent of their country’s population, as a result of general difficulties in a country (or in this case, the world).

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3