The Golden Lion, Todmorden

David Mack

Featured Posts

Its horrid, but then the Lion breaks a lot of much bigger rules than this one.

The council can't really have one rule for the Golden Lion and one for everybody else, especially where listed buildings are concerned, but then for many people this is an essential part of the local (and not so local) community, and the landlady, though rather eccentric, really does do a lot very good work for Todmorden.

I think the best way out of this would be for the council to "enforce" the law but give the Lion maybe 3 years to comply. Trouble is when it goes white again a lot of locals will suddenly miss the yellow. Its interesting that we like our historic buildings to be black and white though, as Gig points out, they probably had many other colours in the past.

I reckon there is going to be one huge party when the lockdown ends. 

..............Dave

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its horrid, but then the Lion breaks a lot of much bigger rules than this one.

Really? Can you expand on that?

I'm not quite sure why changing the colour of a listed building should require planning consent at all. It's not as if the white has any particular historical significance, as the building has previously been painted orange and pink, and would originally have been unpainted stone (naturally a golden brown, but quickly blackened by coal smoke).

I recall the late Tim Leech commenting on here that he had to keep his house painted black and white as that was the colour BWB had it painted at the time it was first listed, despite historical evidence that for most of its 200+ years it had been painted in red ochre.

Edited by David Mack

Given that a quarter of the population of Todmorden has signed a petition to keep the (extremely popular!) Golden Lion golden, and it was painted other colours previously, you'd think the council would show some common sense. But maybe the jobsworths haven't got any... ?

Great pub by the way, fab (and great value!) food and beer, friendly atmosphere -- assuming you like sweet-smelling smoke and reggae, the night we stopped there... ?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I'm not quite sure why changing the colour of a listed building should require planning consent at all. It's not as if the white has any particular historical significance, as the building has previously been painted orange and pink, and would originally have been unpainted stone (naturally a golden brown, but quickly blackened by coal smoke).

I recall the late Tim Leech commenting on here that he had to keep his house painted black and white as that was the colour BWB had it painted at the time it was first listed, despite historical evidence that for most of its 200+ years it had been painted in red ochre.

I think any significant change to the exterior of any building requires planning consent, including fitting modern double glazed windows, but few people bother. My kids live in a (not listed) Victorian house in Bristol, the street consists of one long terrace of houses, all in pretty much original condition. If they painted the outside of their house purple then the whole street would loose some of its appeal.

The Golden Lion is very very yellow and I feel looks very wrong, but that certainly won't stop me spending a lot of time in there once we get our freedom back ?

I used to visit the lovely Cross Keys in Gt Bedwyn but it was "captured" by a property developer intent on running it down and turning it into houses. It is a very old building and was white. The first thing property developer did was to paint it black, likely just to upset the locals and emphasise that it wasn't going to be a pub anymore.

................Dave

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

I think that there may be a little jumping the gun and special pleading here. Once the matter was reported to the council it has no option but to initiate action in accordance with listed building law. (I'd better not say too much about my experiences of some heritage officers . . .  but most are realistic) However, the Councillor also says that they are looking for a way forward that will satisfy as many people as possible. The formal letter is just the opening salvo in  what could, if the owners choose it, be a lengthy and expensive saga

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It is doing - they want to esrtablish a dialogue with the publicans to find an acceptable way forward.

I suspect that way forward will just be to tone down the yellow somewhat.

I suggest painting vertical black stripes and changing the name to The Golden Tiger

GRRRRREAT....

43 minutes ago, smiler said:

I suggest painting vertical black stripes and changing the name to The Golden Tiger

GRRRRREAT....

Luckily I believe the landlady does not read this forum, otherwise, if she thought your idea would make people happy she would most likely do it.

.............Dave

I think a compromise ought to be the way forward.

They should have it white on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then have it it golden yellow for the weekend, Friday Saturday and Sunday.

48 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think a compromise ought to be the way forward.

They should have it white on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then have it it golden yellow for the weekend, Friday Saturday and Sunday.

I note that the Barge at Honeystreet sometimes uses a projector to "decorate" the outside of the building. I am surprised the Golden Lion has not thought of this, they could then be a different colour everday of the week. I will suggest this if I ever escape this lockdown. We are only 4-1/2 miles away but the government suggests our "exercise walks" should remain within 2km of "home" ?

The Golden Lion is a sort of "Northern Twin" of the Barge but with a bit more down to earth eccentricity.

.................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

We are only 4-1/2 miles away but the government suggests our "exercise walks" should remain within 2km of "home" ?

Should you decide to walk (for exercise obvs) to the Golden Lion but get arrested, tell the fuzz its ok coz I gave you permission for the trip. 

Hope that helps...

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Should you decide to walk (for exercise obvs) to the Golden Lion but get arrested, tell the fuzz its ok coz I gave you permission for the trip. 

Hope that helps...

Its an easy towpath walk but most of the (newly "improved") towpath got washed away in the floods so now its a hard walk over the hills. I hear rumours that the place is still open as it has always been a collection centre for veg boxes and now also distributes food to the needy, but I reckon they might just give away the odd pint of beer too.   There have been a few military aircraft flying low over here this week, I reckon they are watching me in case I try to do a dash to the Golden Lion.

.................Dave

2 hours ago, MHS said:

Not if you eat there in the future. The TripAdvisor ratings are very good. 

The Thai food is excellent. Son and GF had recently got back from a self-organised tour of Thailand, staying in cheap hotels and eating at street food stalls and local restaurants. They asked if they could have a papaya salad (not on the menu) -- sure, no problem. They said it was as good as anything they'd had in Thailand, it certainly blew my head clean off... ?

Edited by IanD