Water pump leaking

Featured Posts

We've got a jabsco par max 3 fresh water pump, that's started leaking from what looks like a small cover plate on the head (see photos). Any idea what this bit is for, and what I need to buy to repair? The repair kits I've found, don't seem to include anything that looks like it would fix this. 

590026948_20200404_1404082.jpg.d47aaadb73b77e3490cdda5c9ad4e5da.jpg

1864132794_20200404_1406562.jpg.90925d518d19770866be7d80e798fcaf.jpg

I believe there is usually a pressure switch under the blue cover that I've removed for the 2nd pic, but as we have a separate pressure switch, it's not present on this pump.

Reluctant to start to strip it down until I have an idea what to use to repair it!

Cheers

I think the pressure switch is under the rectangle with 115 009 on it. Once that comes off you will see the pressure switch and probably its diaphragm that may be damaged. I fear its look to see what is wrong and the work out how to repair. repair kits are usually available but in my and others experience a new pump maybe a more reliable  way. make sure all accessible screws are tight but don't tighten so much you rip the thread out of the plastic.

• Greenie 1

Don't bother trying to fix it. It will leak again. Most of these pumps whilst stupidly expensive are built cheap and nasty usually in China. I do appreciate that during lockdown you will find it hard to get a new one. It doesn't look to be leaking much so soldier on with it for now then get a new one. 

I agree with all the above. Years ago I used to mend them but the last twenty or so years they are Jerry built and are a consumable item. I will add that I always fir the parmax 1 now, I had the 3 on the last boat and replaced with a 1, much cheaper and does a great job. This boat has oodles of pipework at 68 feet and I get exellent pressure everywhere including the shower from the smaller pump.

Edited by mrsmelly

Concur, scrap and replace with a decent pump.  one of the Jabsco PAR  36950 series. You only need ever buy one, all the parts are available from Lancing Marine so you can repair these.

Certainly not cheap, big, and not so quiet but they just pump water, on and on and on and.....

Thanks for the replies. Punt taken, will look to buy a new pump on next pay day, just don't like buying new when things can be repaired. I suppose that would give me time to investigate the old one at leisure and keep as a spare if repairable. 

Currently only leaking a bit, and now have drip tray underneath. Obviously been leaking for some time though - that will teach me to check theses things more often!

Here is a tip for dealing with self tapping screws in plastics:

(1) Always make a note of the hole each screw comes out of and be sure to replace  it in that hole. They may all look alike but I've seen the things being made, six in the air at any one time dropping into a 5 gallon oil drum! They may look very alike but they do vary just enough to warrant care.

(2) When refitting a screw always "feel" for the previously made thread by, with gentle pressure, turning the screw anticlockwise, ie "undoing it", with light pressure on the driver "feel" for the screw dropping into the previously made thread. Do at least one complete rotation, most of these screws have two "starts" and these are seldom exactly equal, the right one is the one that provides the biggest "click".

It takes less time to do than to explain and gives the best chance of preserving the thread.