Busier today

sirweste

Featured Posts

Been sat on my deck (GU just south of Soulbury) working from the laptop for the last 3 days. Monday and Tuesday I'd say I saw 3 boats moving each day. Today i'm over 10 so far, several looked like marina dwellers (but looks don't mean everything - so me mum tells me).

Feel like there's quite a few not bothering with the don't bugger off to your 'holiday home' rule this weekend.

There are many views in this present emergency. Nearly a 1000 people have died within the last 24 hours in this country. There is a certain responsibility on all to follow the guide lines laid down by the Government to reduce the spread of the virus. Travelling for supplies or walking for exercise are considered important, but  cruising for pleasure is not the best. This virus is a silent killer. If the more virulent strain strikes on board a boat, the crew could be seriously ill, or worse, before discovery. So it has a lot to do with everybody!   

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

There are many views in this present emergency. Nearly a 1000 people have died within the last 24 hours in this country. There is a certain responsibility on all to follow the guide lines laid down by the Government to reduce the spread of the virus. Travelling for supplies or walking for exercise are considered important, but  cruising for pleasure is not the best. This virus is a silent killer. If the more virulent strain strikes on board a boat, the crew could be seriously ill, or worse, before discovery. So it has a lot to do with everybody!   

Sorry but this country is full of arrogant morrons who think it won't effect them !! And sod what anyone else thinks  .  ? 

• Greenie 3

Today in our quiet spot on the T&M we have had: a couple fishing and sunbathing, a cyclist shouting to get out of the way to a couple walking past and the owners of a pleasure boat who admitted that they have come out of their marina just a little way up the cut for a change of scene and were patently looking at where we are to move to when we move, as cc live aboards for that essential commodity, water. Hope you can't smell us but we are now hanging on to the water we have got for a tad longer as the towpath here is just that little bit wider,therefore less risky and hoping they might go by as they apparently haven't grasped the idea of only moving if it is essential! On the plus side, a house near us has come over with a bottle of red wine and is going to buy us some tomorrow so at least we won't run out of that essential commodity. Lovely people.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

I moved today partly to head closer the next service point, which I will need soon, but mainly to move away from an area where there are far to many people using the towpath knowing full well that it is to narrow to allow safe passing. 

Wilful ignorance appears to be the order of the day, mixed with a "just don't care" and a "anyway my circumstances are special so the rules shouldn't apply to me". 

In many ways Covid has brought out the best in the majority but sadly the worst in a minority, unfortunately its the minority that will cause a disproportionate number deaths. 

9 hours ago, sirweste said:

Been sat on my deck (GU just south of Soulbury) working from the laptop for the last 3 days. Monday and Tuesday I'd say I saw 3 boats moving each day. Today i'm over 10 so far, several looked like marina dwellers (but looks don't mean everything - so me mum tells me).

Feel like there's quite a few not bothering with the don't bugger off to your 'holiday home' rule this weekend.

Count yourself lucky they passed you by. One of them has moored next to me down near the Globe and is the noisiest bastard I've ever encountered on the cut. I will probably be moving your way tomorrow because of this inconsiderate, oblivious tosser.

8 hours ago, reg said:

there are far to many people using the towpath knowing full well that it is to narrow to allow safe passing

I was in our local shop yesterday getting a few essentials. It’s clearly marked for everyone to stay at least 2m apart. One chap, who apparently couldn’t be bothered to walk around an isle to get to the back of the queue brushed past three people to then stand 2m behind them. I was at the back of this queue and moved away to allow him to take my place instead of brushing past me too. He looked really confused as to why I moved. I was so flabbergasted that I couldn’t think what to say to him, so I hoped a glare might suffice... but I doubt it did. 

• Greenie 1

Not snobby at all, just common sense. I do the same where i live, went to the supermarket this morning at 08.30, home by 09.00. Only 4 customers in there including me and my wife.  1.8 million in this country, 75% of which have an IQ that is less than their shoe size so early shopping to avoid them. Stocked up on beer, charcoal and meat ready for a barbie this afternoon, 22c today and i have a south facing terrace so hotter on there.

These lot should have access to NHS taken away from them.

BBC

"Police have made two arrests after two men were seen on CCTV licking their hands and wiping them over vegetables, meat and fridge handles in a supermarket.

The men walked into the Sainsbury's store in Lancaster Road, Morecambe, on Saturday afternoon.

Staff were forced to thoroughly disinfect the store and destroy products, Lancashire Police said."

7 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Not snobby at all, just common sense. I do the same where i live, went to the supermarket this morning at 08.30, home by 09.00. Only 4 customers in there including me and my wife.  1.8 million in this country, 75% of which have an IQ that is less than their shoe size so early shopping to avoid them. Stocked up on beer, charcoal and meat ready for a barbie this afternoon, 22c today and i have a south facing terrace so hotter on there.

Twas roasting here yesterday afternoon. Around 23 with hotter in the sun. We had second barby of the week. Overcast and cold so far today ?

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Staff were forced to thoroughly disinfect the store and destroy products, Lancashire Police said."

I thought it was going to say "thoroughly disinfect the store and destroy the two men".

I can't imagine what would motivate anyone to behave so grossly, unless perhaps they had ingested substances which are not on sale in Sainsbury's.

Edited by Athy

50 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

He's just thick.

This is going to sound awfully snobby, but I've taken to doing my single weekly shopping at a quiet time in a nearby M&S food.  It's expensive but they have everything I want and the high prices seems to put off the majority of brain dead idiots.  Everyone in there so far has been very considerate, and the aisles are wide.  The only exceptions being people who don't need to be shopping at all.  In front of me in the queue the other day was a man who was buying an orchid.  Nothing else, just an orchid.  Presumably an ESSENTIAL orchid.  Anyway, I don't mind spending more on food right now.  I'm not spending money on anything else, so I may as well have nice food.

A guy up the street in the  village as been reported to police for visiting Spar five times in the day to buying a scratch card !   ( But that must of been an ESSETIAL Scratch Card )

Had to do shopping today. Thought better than Friday when every hoarder and his mum would be shopping for the 'holiday' weekend.

Big wrong. Huge queues at 2 supermarkets, one a bit quieter [ guess which? ]  and I mean huge, over 100 queuing at Morrisons at 9:34 today. Usual piled high trolleys coming out, ma and pa shopping together, kids running around.

What is wrong with these people????

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Had to do shopping today. Thought better than Friday when every hoarder and his mum would be shopping for the 'holiday' weekend.

Big wrong. Huge queues at 2 supermarkets, one a bit quieter [ guess which? ]  and I mean huge, over 100 queuing at Morrisons at 9:34 today. Usual piled high trolleys coming out, ma and pa shopping together, kids running around.

What is wrong with these people????

Ahhhh but remember the shops are closed for a whole day on easter sunday so the morons have to do their panic buying and extra shop to cover that whole day like they do every year :banghead:

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

He's just thick.

This is going to sound awfully snobby, but I've taken to doing my single weekly shopping at a quiet time in a nearby M&S food.  It's expensive but they have everything I want and the high prices seems to put off the majority of brain dead idiots.  Everyone in there so far has been very considerate, and the aisles are wide.  The only exceptions being people who don't need to be shopping at all.  In front of me in the queue the other day was a man who was buying an orchid.  Nothing else, just an orchid.  Presumably an ESSENTIAL orchid.  Anyway, I don't mind spending more on food right now.  I'm not spending money on anything else, so I may as well have nice food.

its a better class of COVID-19 from M&S's...…..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

These lot should have access to NHS taken away from them.

BBC

"Police have made two arrests after two men were seen on CCTV licking their hands and wiping them over vegetables, meat and fridge handles in a supermarket.

The men walked into the Sainsbury's store in Lancaster Road, Morecambe, on Saturday afternoon.

Dont know if you can see this video from facebook, instant justice for contaminating fruit 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 2

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Twas roasting here yesterday afternoon. Around 23 with hotter in the sun. We had second barby of the week. Overcast and cold so far today ?

It has been lovely and sunny here today, Syd has been sunning himself in the garden.

20200409-130413.jpg

We had our second bbq of the week last night so are having something indoors tonight. 

Got the butcher delivering plenty of bbq stuff tomorrow. Both tomorrow and Saturday look like good bbq days. 

Liam will just have to nip to the farm shop on Saturday for the weeks veg but we will both be avoiding shops otherwise. 

We have noticed that there have been more and more people heading out in their cars as this week has progressed. I do think people are starting to get bored of lock down and are starting to go out more. 

We have not had time to get bored yet! 

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

He's just thick.

I think I've told this tale before here, but it bears repeating:

I might have been the person you describe when I went to the local shop a few weeks ago. We were short of vegetables and salad, so I went to the "One Stop". Before leaving, I asked if my wife needed anything else, - "hairspray, if you see any".

The veg, salad, bread, and milk, shelves were empty, but I did find some hairspray of the correct brand.

So the only thing I bought was a can of non essential hairspray. In fact, given the state of my head, you would have thought it the most non essential thing ever purchased :)

I definitely felt guilty, and made it clear to the cashier that it wasn't what I'd come for.

I did, however, get lots of brownie points when I got home. I came home with the one thing Janet had been certain I wouldn't have :)

So spare a kind thought for the guy with the non essential orchid - he may not have been able to find the essential/s he came for and, one thought that crosses my mind is that, it might have been the last thing he ever bought for his loved one :( 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

On 09/04/2020 at 09:55, doratheexplorer said:

He's just thick.

Don't orchids have essential oils in them? ???

• Haha 1