Help me please (newbie alert)

fennylock

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree, there's plenty narrow beam cruisers available, I just wanted to make sure that @fennylock was aware of it being something to consider.

Thanks, this one is a smart little boat to be fair and a decent price. It’s encouraging to know there are options. I’m going to get the mooring now because they are so rare around here and at an affordable price and then hopefully buy in the winter. I shall carry on reading all the posts and if you don’t mind ask again for boat recommendations (sites etc) nearer the time...

No pics on the ad but there is a Freeman 22 narrow beam on ebay at £4k. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freeman22-Mk1-Narrow-Version-Cabin-Cruisers/143561995457 (needs a bit of tlc but sounds interesting). Very nice boats but if you look for a later Norman, Atlanta etc. the choice gets wider.  Was going to link to a Norman 23 found on ApolloDuck called Delusions but looks as though dora has beaten me to it. Recommend standing headroom and a toilet in its own cupboard as the bare minimum you'll need in a cabin, especially if you have an animal with you.

As an owner of a little 19' Shetland yoghurt pot I would suggest that the OP will be fine with their budget for a weekender leisure boat / holiday boat for one and dogs. That size of boat can be had had for a few k running or much less if a project. There is a Fairline 19' on AD for £2k https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/fairline-19-sports-cruiser/633236

The market is very strange at the moment with this coronavirus and the choice very limited compared to normal, considering that viewings aren't allowed, but be ready to go when viewings are possible again. If you are ready to buy then I guess prices may well be pretty negotiable.

The licence and mooring will cost the same whether a boat is a 23' shell of a project or a stunning example of the model so it makes sense to get something that can be used straight away. Say £175/month for the mandatory costs (licence (55), mooring (95), insurance (20), BSS (5).  

If it's just a leisure boat, electric use minimal and semi-camping style acceptable then an outboard doesn't have to be the nightmare that some suggest (possibly one of the biggest issues is the attraction for theft). For those of us who don't understand engines, it's good to know that I can lift a dead one off and put something else on to get moving again. A cheap small second hand outboard that would push a 23' boat on a narrow canal is in the hundreds not thousands if you need to swap over mid season. Hull maintenance for GRP can be minimal especially if outboard propelled. Lots round me never come out. However, if you do want/need to, many boatyards have cranes, hoists or slipway trolleys that can bring out lightweight GRP boats for a cleandown without breaking the bank (couple of hundred).

Big expenses that can take up your sinking maintenance fund on an older GRP boat will be the engine, canopy and windows / seals. Old cushion covers, curtains, cosmetics etc can be replaced at leisure but leaking windows are no fun and do the boat no good. A shot engine won't move it and a destroyed canopy won't keep the rain out. Replacing the windows or canopy or fixing an inboard could easily get to the £1k mark and more (but that's still a hell of a lot less than finding out a steel boat needs overplating).

Getting the mooring first is a sensible idea for the few months it may sit empty to know you have it ready for the boat when you get it. I'm in an area with marinas, farmers' fields and CRT towpath moorings. There are lots of GRP leisure boats on the towpath aswell as the steel boats. Maybe just have a word with some of the existing moorers at the location to ask about any recent issues if you have any worries about security.

Edited by BilgePump
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, BilgePump said:

... if you look for a later Norman, Atlanta etc. the choice gets wider...

Some friends bought a 23ft Norman for £3500. It had a sink, shower, portaloo, a working two burner hob and a Morco that needed a service. They kept it for a couple of years and spent minimal money on it to tidy it up a bit (and got the Morco working). They sold it for a little under £4k.  So such boats are certainly around. 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why?

I don't know really!  It just strikes me as wrong.  I think I'd be concerned about damage in locks.  It's also a bit of length you'll never use, making the licence cost more and making it harder to access the outboard.

This looks nice: https://boatdiscovery.co.uk/boat/buckingham-25/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buckingham-25/223965876090?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D1e075d1a06f64d27ab7da98cc850f250%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D264687396540%26itm%3D223965876090%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Edited by doratheexplorer

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I don't know really!  It just strikes me as wrong.  I think I'd be concerned about damage in locks.  It's also a bit of length you'll never use, making the licence cost more and making it harder to access the outboard.

Ah but then you would not have the vital bathing platform to use during the summer. I agree with you, I also suspect it would eventually be damaged by being banged on the bank when pulling away.

That Buckingham 25 is a nice boat with a reasonable outboard. Although it doesn't come with the trailer its pictured on there is a thought for the OP. If they are looking at GRP cruisers and one they are interested in comes with a good trailer that they don't want/need then that will always find a buyer for strong money to offset against the initial buying price for the package. I sold the trailer mine came on for more than I paid for the project boat and trailer in the first place.

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

That Buckingham 25 is a nice boat with a reasonable outboard. Although it doesn't come with the trailer its pictured on there is a thought for the OP. If they are looking at GRP cruisers and one they are interested in comes with a good trailer that they don't want/need then that will always find a buyer for strong money to offset against the initial buying price for the package. I sold the trailer mine came on for more than I paid for the project boat and trailer in the first place.

This one comes with a trailer:  https://boatdiscovery.co.uk/boat/norman-23-2/

The Buckingham 25 ad says they'll deliver it for free up to 200 miles, which is very handy!

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This one comes with a trailer:  https://boatdiscovery.co.uk/boat/norman-23-2/

The Buckingham 25 ad says they'll deliver it for free up to 200 miles, which is very handy!

The Norman ad says they'll split boat and trailer. Lots of options for a buyer. I do imagine we'll see more of the small leisure boats on the market in the not too distant future as families have to address what is important to them financially and decide to cash in and avoid future bills. 

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's a sink with a tap in the pictures.  Maybe something else comes out of it?  Wine?

Oh that’d be good... I think I might buy it :)

(Missed the tap)

That boat you linked to Dora is lovely, I’m very encouraged of the seeming options in budget, reckon there will even be more choice in winter??

For a weekend boat: is an outboard engine risky by the sounds of it re theft? I would sooner go for safest option even if I have to wait longer, mooring is on a public footpath and though semi private/quiet certainly not entirely so! A lot of the ones I’m seeing are Petrol outboards so is this a no no or is there a way to secure? I know dsl is preferred but if all I see quality/aesthetics wise in budget is Petrol would it be a massive issue?

Definitely keen for one that’s been well looked after and thoughtfully kitted out as I’m not a roughing it camper by nature ? and though boating appeals I can’t do the sitting in someone else’s stains thing; but saying that there seem to be a lot of beautifully maintained boats so I’m quite excited that it could be a reality by Christmas, hopefully sooner!

16 minutes ago, fennylock said:

For a weekend boat: is an outboard engine risky by the sounds of it re theft?

They are at a higher risk of theft than an inboard engine, but, you can take steps to minimise the risk by using an out board clamp (in fact, your insurers will probably demand it - ours does)

If they are coming equipped with a battery angle-grinder then nothing will deter them, but for the 'casual' theft make yours more difficult than you neighbour.

Something like this (generally the more you pay the higher the security)

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/GB/OML-Small-Outboard-Motor-Slot-Lock/m-2441.aspx?

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are at a higher risk of theft than an inboard engine, but, you can take steps to minimise the risk by using an out board clamp (in fact, your insurers will probably demand it - ours does)

If they are coming equipped with a battery angle-grinder then nothing will deter them, but for the 'casual' theft make yours more difficult than you neighbour.

Something like this (generally the more you pay the higher the security)

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/GB/OML-Small-Outboard-Motor-Slot-Lock/m-2441.aspx?

Not your aera but it would still work 

Capture.JPG

I would suggest an investigation into Exchange and Mart, northern regional papers small ads, or a round robin to northern boat clubs. You will find more cruisers up that way in the price range you are looking for, and the north seems to have more cruisers than down south, where the majority are on rivers. The cost of cruisers such as Vikings I've seen for sale on the Thames, I find truly staggering. Before getting a narrowboat, I had a 24ft Plywood Burnham Cruiser, with a Volvo Penta 99. Bought for a £1000 in 1986, I used it for 3 years then sold it for £2000 with just a lick of paint, and a folding washbasin in the toilet compartment with the only expense.

Edited by Ex Brummie
add another source

Appreciate the suggestion, Google doesn’t seem to bring up too much!? I’m trying not to get toooo carried away yet as still deciding on which yog pot I want and need to save up a tad more, so I will definitely be back on asking for any recommendations once this bloody lock down has lifted, stopping me working thus earning ?

For the cheaper end of the GRP cruiser market ( probably anything under £5k ) I'd say that while it's worth looking at the brokers sites:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/

https://www.boatshed.com/

... you will probably get more and better results on gumtree, ebay, or even newsnow classifieds!

Do a really vague search on the classifieds sites.  My default search is "boat" !

You do get a lot of really bad ones, speedboats with a hole in them, broken canoes etc ... but all you need is one good one being put up for sale by someone who doesn't know or care what it is as long as it gets sold.