Vetus Bow Thruster (BOW9512C) not working

Mary Rose

Featured Posts

My normally reliable thruster wont work anymore.

I pretty technical checked batteries 13,4V all fuses are good.

Symtom when press on-line quick beeps till it goes back and never goes green or on-line.

The engine will not start of course.

Solenoid will not click either.

Any suggestions.

Which batteries have you checked? I suspect that you may have three different battery banks: Domestic, engine start, and bow thruster.

If yours is a twin alternator boat I would suspect the domestic bank is being charged abut the engine and bow thruster banks are not so they have flat batteries.

Even if you have a mains shore line charger it may only be charging the domestic bank.

More info about your system is needed to give a better diagnosis.

Edited to add, engine and bow thruster batteries often share the same charging source via a charge splitting device.

Edited by Tony Brooks

All batteries are in good shape have 2 batteries to the thruster and 4 to domestic and single to engine.

It was working good for 3 seconds then it died.

Can be that my brother pressed left and right in same time not sure though.

I can see that are charging both from landpower and engine and its up to over 13 volts.

Edited by Mary Rose

Voltage please for the three banks. All too often we are told that batteries are OK but then it turns out they are not.

Appreciate that English may not be your first language so well done so far.

The thing that is confusing is that you have two totally different systems not working. The engine starting and the bow thruster. or do you mean the bow thruster motor when you say engine. If so have you checked the bow thruster fuse? It will be a large one probably close to the bow thruster batteries in the positive lead.

Only bow thruster is not working everything else work very good, electric furling is connected to same battery bank as the thruster and is working very well.

Yes fuse is good and sorry for my wacky english ;)

Edited by Mary Rose

I suspect that you now need someone with detailed Vetus knowledge but if the lights in the control illuminates or makes a sound at all then the control has  power to it so it shoudl be energising the bow thruster solenoids when needed. That suggest the fault may be in the high power part including the battery, motor and solenoids.

I would put a voltmeter between the solenoid energise connection at the bow thruster and negative while someone presses the button. That will tell you if the control is working (you will get battery voltage) or if its not (zero voltage).

If the bow thruster has its own battery master switch try putting both terminals on one stud. If it then works the switch is faulty but make sure the leads are put back on the proper studs.

Could also be a dirty battery connection. Take all the leads off and clean the clamps and posts mating surfaces to bright metal and refit with a  smear of  battery terminal dressing..

Bow thruster Engine. My main diesel engine is all good.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect that you now need someone with detailed Vetus knowledge but if the lights in the control illuminates or makes a sound at all then the control has  power to it so it shoudl be energising the bow thruster solenoids when needed. That suggest the fault may be in the high power part including the battery, motor and solenoids.

I would put a voltmeter between the solenoid energise connection at the bow thruster and negative while someone presses the button. That will tell you if the control is working (you will get battery voltage) or if its not (zero voltage).

If the bow thruster has its own battery master switch try putting both terminals on one stud. If it then works the switch is faulty but make sure the leads are put back on the proper studs.

Could also be a dirty battery connection. Take all the leads off and clean the clamps and posts mating surfaces to bright metal and refit with a  smear of  battery terminal dressing..

I can add that I also have a remote control to it and then its actually activate solenoids and spin the motor a turn but then stops, then the sender goes red indicating there is a fault. I tried already with different charged batteries. I measured voltage to the engine 13,4 Volt.

Hopefully Pearley of this parish will be along soon.

I seem to recall he has a Vetus bow-thruster and the problem with his was the big relay that sits on top of the Bow-thruster motor.

3 minutes ago, Mary Rose said:

Bow thruster Engine. My main diesel engine is all good.

I can add that I also have a remote control to it and then its actually activate solenoids and spin the motor a turn but then stops, then the sender goes red indicating there is a fault. I tried already with different charged batteries. I measured voltage to the engine 13,4 Volt.

Have you checked the thruster propeller is not fouled? The extra info about it running and then indicating a fault makes me suspect an overheat cut out operating. This could be from prolonged use, fouled propeller, or low voltage at the motor.

Ok 

Will disassemble  it today and try that, maybe the silver anodes.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Have you checked the thruster propeller is not fouled? The extra info about it running and then indicating a fault makes me suspect an overheat cut out operating. This could be from prolonged use, fouled propeller, or low voltage at the motor.

Well it spins a turn with remote controller and cant be overheated just used it for 3 seconds. 

It never get green so I cant even start it from the normal buttons.

43 minutes ago, Mary Rose said:

Only bow thruster is not working everything else work very good, electric furling is connected to same battery bank as the thruster and is working very well.

I presume you are on a sailing boat in Malmo.

If your furling system is working OK (and it is on the same batteries) then the fault MUST be within the bow-thruster itself.

Can you get into look at the Propeller on the BOW THRUSTER, it could have a little rope wrapped around it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I presume you are on a sailing boat in Malmo.

If your furling system is working OK (and it is on the same batteries) then the fault MUST be within the bow-thruster itself.

Can you get into look at the Propeller on the BOW THRUSTER, it could have a little rope wrapped around it.

I agree but the OP seemed to dismiss that in post #11. I don't think they appreciate just how fast a stalled DC motor will overheat.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 hours ago, Grebe said:

Hopefully Pearley of this parish will be along soon.

I seem to recall he has a Vetus bow-thruster and the problem with his was the big relay that sits on top of the Bow-thruster motor.

Nice of you to say that Malcolm. Hope you and Chris are ok.

When you press the on/off switch in the remote it should start beeping. Before the beeping stops you need to press the on/off button again. The indicator should now light up green to show the thruster is ready for use.

If you have one person by the thruster whilst another person presses the left or right buttons they should hear a very loud click of the contactor solenoid operating. 

If you get no green light then it could be poor connection on battery, isolator or connections on thruster body. If you get a green light which then goes out when the left or right buttons are pressed then still probably poor connection. The remote is fed from a 4 pin connector under the plastic cover on the side of the thruster. The red and black are positive and negative. The other two (blue and white?) are the left and rights from the remote switch. So you should get battery voltage on these two when the switch is pressed. There is a standard blade fuse on the red wire.

If you get a big click when the buttons are pressed but no motor then still could be battery connections but could also be prop fouled. If you have a weedhatch for the thruster then stick your hand in and have a good feel around. You should be able to turn the propellor blade which will probably feel at bit notchy. If it spins freely then the sheer pin has broken but your description doesn't sound like this.

If you get clunk from solenoid but no motor and everything else checks ok then it could be a contactor fault. If you don't get clunk but everything checks ok then it could be the solenoid part of the contactor. You can clean the contacts as a temporary measure but it will remove the special coating on them. If you decide to buy new contacts or a new contactor then go to Allbrights at Andover rather than Vetus as much cheaper.

Of course, it could be the brushes worn out. If you take the cover off the top of the motor you will see the brushes.

You can remove the 4 Allen headed bolts holding the motor to the gearbox and lift the the motor off for repair easily. There is no danger of leakage.

Edited by pearley

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Nice of you to say that Malcolm. Hope you and Chris are ok.

When you press the on/off switch in the remote it should start beeping. Before the beeping stops you need to press the on/off button again. The indicator should now light up green to show the thruster is ready for use.

If you have one person by the thruster whilst another person presses the left or right buttons they should hear a very loud click of the contactor solenoid operating. 

If you get no green light then it could be poor connection on battery, isolator or connections on thruster body. If you get a green light which then goes out when the left or right buttons are pressed then still probably poor connection. The remote is fed from a 4 pin connector under the plastic cover on the side of the thruster. The red and black are positive and negative. The other two (blue and white?) are the left and rights from the remote switch. So you should get battery voltage on these two when the switch is pressed. There is a standard blade fuse on the red wire.

If you get a big click when the buttons are pressed but no motor then still could be battery connections but could also be prop fouled. If you have a weedhatch for the thruster then stick your hand in and have a good feel around. You should be able to turn the propellor blade which will probably feel at bit notchy. If it spins freely then the sheer pin has broken but your description doesn't sound like this.

If you get clunk from solenoid but no motor and everything else checks ok then it could be a contactor fault. If you don't get clunk but everything checks ok then it could be the solenoid part of the contactor. You can clean the contacts as a temporary measure but it will remove the special coating on them. If you decide to buy new contacts or a new contactor then go to Allbrights at Andover rather than Vetus as much cheaper.

Of course, it could be the brushes worn out. If you take the cover off the top of the motor you will see the brushes.

You can remove the 4 Allen headed bolts holding the motor to the gearbox and lift the the motor off for repair easily. There is no danger of leakage.

Hi

Ok so by the fact i didnt have solenoid click and the green light never came on despite my 14V reading on the display side it was obvious that the display was malfunction.

By shortcutting the  connection 1 or 4 on the 4 pins the motor was turning like normal.

This means that the display causing this and need replacement. Will follow up when its changed.

Thanks all for super quick response.

Stay safe in this C times!!!!

35 minutes ago, Mary Rose said:

Hi

Ok so by the fact i didnt have solenoid click and the green light never came on despite my 14V reading on the display side it was obvious that the display was malfunction.

By shortcutting the  connection 1 or 4 on the 4 pins the motor was turning like normal.

This means that the display causing this and need replacement. Will follow up when its changed.

Thanks all for super quick response.

Stay safe in this C times!!!!

Just to be sure, you are shortcutting the red in the 4 pin connector to either the white or blue.

1 hour ago, Mary Rose said:

Hi 

Yes I did and its spinning, ordered a new button display now!

THANKS ALOT!!

I told you Peter Earley would have a good answer.

Nice to know your out there Peter.  Thanks for asking about us, yes we are both fine.  We are having a modifed lockdown despite Chris being over 70 and me being in the extremely vulnerable group.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Mary Rose said:

Can be that my brother pressed left and right in same time not sure though.

For future reference it might be worth checking if your setup has a time delay unit fitted. It delays reversing the motor direction for a few seconds and prevents anyone accidentally wrecking it by reversing the direction too quickly.

https://www.vetus.com/en/vetus-time-delay-unit-for-12-v-bow-thruster-panels-bpsm-and-bpjsta.html