Galvanic Isolator Installation, How?

Featured Posts

On 09/04/2020 at 09:20, Tony Brooks said:

Steel is not a consistent material resistance wise throughout its volume, especially when there are welds in it so one can not be sure it won't be easier for the current to leave the hull to "jump" a higher resistance part of the steel. That will also apply to DC currents in the hell and DC would be worse because it only carries the eroded steel in one direction.

I was moored in a very narrow marina/cut for 9 years. I noticed my isolator red light on one day and we traced it to the 12v bilge pump in the neighbouring boat being faulty. So the stray 12v DC current was finding it's way via the AC earth.

I once had a Sterling battery charger that had a significant leakage of 50Hz current from the mains live to earth (about 25mA) but it took me a long time to understand it because in fact it was leaking not from the mains earth terminal or even from the metal case but from the otherwise isolated 12v negative.