Recommended Brokerages (good and less good)

carlcymru

Featured Posts

Starter for ten and subject to riddicule from others -

Good - Rugby - they take care to describe their boats

Bad - Whilton - bucket shop - OK for folks who know what they want and have the knowledge to sift out the wrecks

from one of the market to another.

Boats aren't like used cars, each one is quite different. And so are the brokers....

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I always say that the best broker is the one selling the boat you want to buy.

It doesn't really matter how well regarded (or not!) a brokerage is if they don't have a single boat that appeals to you.

very succinct -

but what if you're a novice /newby / want a liveaboard in Lunnon - and really haven't a clue?

The sensible one(s) come on here seeking guidance...

15 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

,,,,,,,,,,,,    but what if you're a novice /newby / want a liveaboard in Lunnon - and really haven't a clue?

I thought 'Lunnon' was full ?

Anyone who wants to try and live there really hasn't a clue.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

very succinct -

but what if you're a novice /newby / want a liveaboard in Lunnon - and really haven't a clue?

Sure, that makes sense, and the answer as usual is go to Whilton and have a look at all their boats so you get some idea of what you want, or more importantly what you don't want!

But I'd never pick a broker and then only buy a boat from them.  I'd pick a boat online and then go and see it in the flesh regardless of which broker it is with.

In reality I'd make a shortlist of boats I wanted to see in a reasonably close area, then go and see them all in one trip.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

very succinct -

And many get overwhelmed by all the good advice offered :)

You won't be able to view any boats at brokerages during the lockdown

. It will give you  time to search all brokers on the web, get a list together of ones in your price range to see when the crisis is over. 

Good luck

8 minutes ago, 1agos said:

You won't be able to view any boats at brokerages during the lockdown

. It will give you  time to search all brokers on the web, get a list together of ones in your price range to see when the crisis is over. 

Good luck

You can by appointment at some.

There should be two phases in buying a boat.

The first phase, and probably the most difficult, is to determine what you actually want in a boat? 

Some hires, preferably in varied weather,  tow path chats with boaters and seeing as many boats as possible, from any, and all brokers. Ask, ask, and ask. This forum is a good place for that. Ask opinions on different features, all have pros and cons and advocates. You will also get some idea of the varied competency of forum members to answer the subject of your particular question.

But to help them, give them as much information as you can, on your situation, and what you want to use your boat for.

A boat configured for 12month liveaboard, no family, will be quite different for a boat configured for holiday cruising, an occasional guests. 

You will then better know what the tolerable range of features and condition of what you want, and the market price of such boats and how that relates to your budget. From the web  follow boats of interest on brokers sites progress through the market, when listed, any price reductions and time to get an offer, or even appear for sale elsewhere. You will get an idea of what boats have been priced realistically.

Phase 2 is the search for THE BOAT. Not the perfect boat, but a boat somewhere near your budget, and a reasonable approximation to your must have, and nice to have list.

If your list is close to most other peoples list expect keen competition and be prepared to comprimise on that list of nice to haves and must haves. 

Apart from asking questions  on the forum all of this is difficult under lockdown.

Good luck.

Edited by DandV

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Somewhat in jest, and maybe my recollection is foggy but, asking here for an opinion of any particular boat usually results in a plethora of reasons not to buy it, or not to offer more than a lot less than the asking price, or similar. I don't recall ever seeing and responses which suggested any particular boat was an good deal, or even an amazing deal, and should be snapped up.

The information might be useful to some with some experience but, IMHO, if you are a novice, and want to be talked out of buying a particular boat, post the details here :)

My advice is a bit different from all the above. 

Assuming you are a wet-behind-the-ears newbie (from the sparseness of info volunteered in your question), I'd suggest looking at 5 or 10 boats whose adverts appeal to you and you'll probably find one chooses YOU, and you'll feel a need to buy it.  It doesn't matter which one.

Get a survey done, negotiate a price you are happy with and just buy it (provided the survey doesn't throw up any real nasties). Get two or three years of boating under your belt to find out what you like and what you don't like in detail. You will NOT know now, no matter how much you think you do. 

Once you have a clear idea of what you want  in a boat in the light of experience, flog this one and buy the right boat. Some people go through this cycle two or three times.

As Mr Biscuit says, the broker doesn't really matter, just so long as you know their reputation. Few brokers really know the boats they are selling in depth. Like estate agents, would you start off looking for a house to buy by making a list of estate agents you will or won't buy from?  I doubt it. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, 1agos said:

But that goes against the government guidelines re. esential travel only. Which ones are doing this.

The ones that have sold their houses for their dreams..

42 minutes ago, Keith M said:

I would have a look at Aqueduct Marina

Pretty view

Lots of places sell boats without a view.

Hi Carl, I'm in a similar situation, looking to buy in early September if the right boat is available. 

I had more or less forgotten the point made in Mike the Boilerman's advice - which I've also heard from many others- that you won't get it 100% right first time, because at that point you don't have the experience to know what 'right' really looks like.

So don't insist on it matching your perfect vision, and expect there to a decent chance of you wanting to change boats within a few years. 

The way I am approaching it is to think initially about how I want to use it (which is CCing), and let my planned usage determine the features the boat will ideally have, and then to put a priority on each of those 'needs'. 

So for example, at this point I think that it might be quite nice to be able to spend perhaps a week at a time (maybe two weeks sometimes) in quiet rural locations, without having to move to find water or other services.

So that led me to think that solar would be a good thing. But since that can be added later, it certainly won't be important that the boat has it- just a very handy thing if it does.

The remote mooring thing also led me to think about what toilet systems there are that I can use for maybe 2 weeks without needing to be emptied or whatever. 

It appears that even cassettes can be 'managed' for at least a week by various means, so the toilet's not a deal-breaker.

The 'off-grid' approach also means the boat would really need a good sized water tank, of at least 100 gallons (but the bigger the better).  Less than 100 might mean I need to buy extra water storage containers- again not a showstopper but certainly not ideal. 

Not related to off-grid mooring, but I'd also like a way of heating the water that doesnt always rely on the engine (ideally I don't want to run the engine for hundreds of hours just for hot water), so a boat with diesel or gas water heating seems a good idea. 

In the end, for me, the only non-negotiable thing of the whole boat will be an open plan layout, as I have a preference for as large a living-room area as is feasible. 

So I'll be looking either for a saloon that is at least 8 or 9 feet long, OR an adjoining dinette that I can remove and replace with a table that folds away, to give a feeling of more space. 

As regards which brokers to use, my desire for an open plan layout means I probably cant afford to focus on looking only at 'good' brokers, and you may find your wish list limits your options and choices.

So I'll have to scour through all the boats that I can find on sale online, and go visit them individually. If I see others on the day of the visit then great, I'll check those out as well.  

But it sounds as if, when dealing with a broker who has a reputation for stocking some boats that are in poor condition, a survey will be a must.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Assuming you are a wet-behind-the-ears newbie (from the sparseness of info volunteered in your question), I'd suggest looking at 5 or 10 boats whose adverts appeal to you and you'll probably find one chooses YOU, and you'll feel a need to buy it.  It doesn't matter which one.

Get a survey done, negotiate a price you are happy with and just buy it (provided the survey doesn't throw up any real nasties). Get two or three years of boating under your belt to find out what you like and what you don't like in detail. You will NOT know now, no matter how much you think you do. 

Once you have a clear idea of what you want  in a boat in the light of experience, flog this one and buy the right boat. Some people go through this cycle two or three times.

As Mr Biscuit says, the broker doesn't really matter, just so long as you know their reputation. Few brokers really know the boats they are selling in depth. Like estate agents, would you start off looking for a house to buy by making a list of estate agents you will or won't buy from?  I doubt it. 

Again it depends on what you want the boat for? If it is for a post retirement part time cruising, for a just few years before decrepitude sets in, then buying a succession of boats may not be for you. If you want to go boating this summer once the lockdown is over MTB's suggested strategy makes a lot of sense.

Now if you want cheap accommodation in London for a couple of years or so, stand by for a lot lot more then supportive  advice from this forum.!!

But whatever you want, once you decide to move on a particular boat, act quickly and decisively. 

You can only buy a boat that is for sale at the time. Perfection is unobtainable under these circumstances. 

Edited by DandV

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

and you'll probably find one chooses YOU, and you'll feel a need to buy it.  It doesn't matter which one.

so very true

Write up a list of everything you want in your ideal boat.

Keep it in a draw.

When the bote finds you, you can take out the list and have a laugh and how different it is.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was that wet behind the ears buyer and a lot of what mike says is spot on.

I will add though, I did very little research, so really had no idea what I wanted, I was it turned out lucky.

the boat did find me, I still to this day don't understand the "this is the one" feeling I got, it was about the second boat I had seen and as sorting the cash became complicated,  I resorted to almost camping out in the boat to scare off others until the deposit was sorted  :)

the broker, it turns out, had a less than ideal rep, but I had nothing but good service from them

The survey turned up a few minor issues which were dealt with by the buyer.

I also have no wish or need to sell up to find an "ideal" boat we have now become so use to each other and personally i think there is no such thing as an "ideal" boat, there is always compromise living in a 7ft wide steel tube in a ditch.

• Greenie 1

I must admit I'm fascinated by this phenomenon of the buyer spending months pondering what they need, and then instantly feeling an almost compulsive and illogical attraction to certain boats, regardless of all their previous thoughts. 

Obviously its a thing, because it happens to so many people, so in the spirit of public service I shall report back- hopefully in September or October- after I have acquired the steel tube in question.

I have looked at a few boats, basically window shopping, but have't yet felt that siren call from any of them- I wonder if it happens when you know you have the readies to hand and burning a hole in your bank account... 

Now I'm wondering how far the feeling goes- do you find yourself thinking: 'Yes it has got a 50 year old lawnmower engine, and a 5 gallon water tank. And the hot water system runs on peat. But who really needs water anyway? I mean just look at how lovely it is...'

Edited by Tony1
hilarity

10 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Now I'm wondering how far the feeling goes- do you find yourself thinking: 'Yes it has got a 50 year old lawnmower engine, and a 5 gallon water tank. And the hot water system runs on peat. But who really needs water anyway? I mean just look at how lovely it is...'

Many a true word's spoken in jest.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Many a true word's spoken in jest.

Mr A, I may be one of the few exceptions to this irrational boat-love thing, having as I do a heart of stone, and being a pragmatic gentleman of not insignificant age.  

I never get sentimental about objects.  

I shall go forth armed with my detailed List of Things, and I shall not be deterred from my purpose by any trinkets, fancy paintwork or any other fripperies. No peat-based engine shall win my heart. 

I hope... 

Edited by Tony1
the hell of it

20 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

do you find yourself thinking: 'Yes it has got a 50 year old lawnmower engine, and a 5 gallon water tank. And the hot water system runs on peat. But who really needs water anyway? I mean just look at how lovely it is...'

In bad cases, the engine doesn't work, the 5 gallon water supply turns out to be a brewing bucket in the corner and the peat fired hot water system turns out not to be connected.

Oh, and there's a hole in the bottom that's letting the water in.

And then you buy it anyway!

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

In bad cases, the engine doesn't work, the 5 gallon water supply turns out to be a brewing bucket in the corner and the peat fired hot water system turns out not to be connected.

Oh, and there's a hole in the bottom that's letting the water in.

And then you buy it anyway!

I can see I'm going to need someone sane and sensible to go shopping with me.

Sadly I don't have a wife to corral the potential lunacy that could unfold, and I know I can't trust a bloke to be any more sensible than I am, so I might be scuppered. 

I'm probably lucky they don't make nuclear powered narrowboats, or that would become a must-have feature in my List of Things.

I'm not daft though- I will insist on the peat power being connected before I make any purchase.

Probably...