Refleks fire Herth

John Lewis

Featured Posts

Hello all, I've recently brought and installed my first refleks stove. very pleased with it,

having lit the stove and felt around it the heat seems to come only from the top.

The sides are almost cool to the touch.

Does this mean protective boards are not needed to pass a cert?

thanks for replies.

This is one of the great advantages of a Refleks.  You can position it much closer to the surround than with a conventional fire.  However, you have to be careful with the siting of the flu - it gets very hot and needs the proper  protection.

14 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

This is one of the great advantages of a Refleks.  You can position it much closer to the surround than with a conventional fire.  However, you have to be careful with the siting of the flu - it gets very hot and needs the proper  protection.

If the stove doesn't get hot how does it heat the cabin? Or do they need to be connected to radiaters? 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If the stove doesn't get hot how does it heat the cabin? Or do they need to be connected to radiaters? 

The cast iron lid on the fire, which is well away from walls, gets hot and radiates a lot of heat.  It's very good for doing casseroles etc.

I have mine connected to radiators and a calorifier.

As mentioned above the flue gets hot.  That's why it's important to protect the walls near it.  

The body of the fire never gets much hotter than hand-hot and the surrounding walls are only warm to the touch.  

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It uses convection, if you look at the design there are two skins, the outer has holes for airflow..  The outer skin doesn't get that hot, but the inner will hot.

• Greenie 1

On 05/04/2020 at 11:16, koukouvagia said:

The cast iron lid on the fire, which is well away from walls, gets hot and radiates a lot of heat.  It's very good for doing casseroles etc.

I have mine connected to radiators and a calorifier.

As mentioned above the flue gets hot.  That's why it's important to protect the walls near it.  

The body of the fire never gets much hotter than hand-hot and the surrounding walls are only warm to the touch.  

Yes was thinking just plate up the wall behind the flu, with a silicate board.

Could Ask how the system of radiators and calorifier works...

I have the 2000Kv model so with water jacket...

thanks

On 05/04/2020 at 10:35, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Maybe it is a very safe design. Doesn't let any heat out at all, except from the top of the flue. ?

Especially not if a twin wall flue is fitted, like that stoopid BSS document demands...

All heat safely ducted to outside, where it can do no harm. Phew!!

:giggles:

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Especially not if a twin wall flue is fitted, like that stoopid BSS document demands...

Where does it say that Mike? I hope they realise how stupid it is. Had my boat MOT last month and it went straight through without fault, never had a daft twin walled flue on any boat and certainly not on this one. Perhaps if we lagged the whole stove with some asbestos substitute a few inches thick then all the heat could go straight up the chimney and that would be super safe ;)

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Error, I meant that BS document about how to install a stove safely. 

http://soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf

Ahh cool, an extra s then!! I havnt seen that what you have linked but a quick squint does indeed show it to be utter testicles ?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I will let Greta (who has been silenced) know you said that....

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I will let Greta (who has been silenced) know you said that....

Ahhhh Greta, shes a bit like that Jockanese minister thats just resigned innitt. Do as I say, not as I do.

On 05/04/2020 at 11:16, koukouvagia said:

unless you let it go out and then relight it after the oil has continued to flow and vapourise it then gets quite hot for a short and exciting time

18 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Could Ask how the system of radiators and calorifier works...

There are many different ways of doing this, depending on the layout of the boat.  The system below worked perfectly.  

To heat up radiators quickly, isolate the calorifier.  

To heat up the calorifier quickly - e.g. in summer, shut off radiators and divert hot water through the calorifier.

Make sure each radiator has its own flow and return.

Not shown is an automatic bleed valve, which is fitted on the highest part of the system/

20200407_085108.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 1