Webasto thermotop E

Featured Posts

Hi All

The header tank is leaking from the joints of both water pipes.

I have checked manuals and looked on line but am unsure on how to empty header tank of remaining coolant and repair / replace pipe or nuts/ joints.

Any help appreciated as nights are still cold and have t yet got my fire up and running so rely on my webasto.

Tempted to say pro-tem stick some Barseal or Radweld in the tank, I don't think it would bung up the Webasto heat exchanger.

If its an open header tank you would drain down from a drain point I hope has been fitted low down on the system possibly below a radiator. Failing that syphon as much as possible out of the tank and with are you might be able to push a  tube down the pipe a bit so the level goes lower.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 04/04/2020 at 16:18, Tony Brooks said:

Tempted to say pro-tem stick some Barseal or Radweld in the tank, I don't think it would bung up the Webasto heat exchanger.

If its an open header tank you would drain down from a drain point I hope has been fitted low down on the system possibly below a radiator. Failing that syphon as much as possible out of the tank and with are you might be able to push a  tube down the pipe a bit so the level goes lower.

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply. I have looked for a drain point. I felt sure one would have been fitted.

I can't fit a bowl underneath comfortably to just remove pipes and allow coolant to pour out.

I guess your suggestion of syphoning is the only option.

I will have another look for drain point. I cannot believe there wouldn't be one.

The only positive of Covid is more time spent on jobs. I am certainly getting lots done! The sun helps too of course

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply. I have looked for a drain point. I felt sure one would have been fitted.

I can't fit a bowl underneath comfortably to just remove pipes and allow coolant to pour out.

I guess your suggestion of syphoning is the only option.

I will have another look for drain point. I cannot believe there wouldn't be one.

The only positive of Covid is more time spent on jobs. I am certainly getting lots done! The sun helps too of course

Thanks

Do you know what you are looking for. If its low down it is likely to look a bit like ths:Type A 1/2" Threaded Drain Off Valve - Mr Central Heating

You may find one of the low pipes is extended through  the rear bulkhead into the engine bay. If this is the case a tap something like this may be on an open end

IDEAL® ball valve, full flow Italy - ITAP

The handle may look very different.

If all else fails then you might think about fitting one of these:

image.jpeg.740dd4e292a76c5f6ef80fc127f7bf37.jpeg

It will punch a hole in the copper pipe (not so sure about plastic).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutting-Brass-Central-Heating-Plumbing/dp/B01BAZP3O6

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If all else fails then you might think about fitting one of these:

image.jpeg.740dd4e292a76c5f6ef80fc127f7bf37.jpeg

It will punch a hole in the copper pipe (not so sure about plastic).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutting-Brass-Central-Heating-Plumbing/dp/B01BAZP3O6

Not seen one of those before

Me neither Brian. Found it when looking for images of the others.

Edited to add:

If Lizzete decides to fit one of these it is VITAL that the clamp is tightened evenly so the little prong bit that punches the pipe goes in dead centre. The prong seals onto the pipe by an O ring and if it punches a bit off centre the O ring may not seal properly.

Edited by Tony Brooks