Cruising at night.... CRT say don't do it. FFS.

MtB

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not sure about that. Are you perhaps a little confused by the difference between a boat which is privately owned and shared and one which is a time share ? If you are, you won't be the only one ?. Sally Ash ex BW was similarly confused. 

Haggis

AFAIK nothing directly prevents any type of boat from cruising at night. However there is a prohibition on using the canal (for whatever purpose) without having valid insurance. In some cases, the insurance policy explicitly excludes cruising at night (typical for hire boats) and thus doing so would render the boater uninsured. Hence the boater is then barred.

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

AFAIK nothing directly prevents any type of boat from cruising at night. However there is a prohibition on using the canal (for whatever purpose) without having valid insurance. In some cases, the insurance policy explicitly excludes cruising at night (typical for hire boats) and thus doing so would render the boater uninsured. Hence the boater is then barred.

When we had a share in a boat (started off with OwnerShips then we broke away and self managed ) there was nothing in the insurance which prevented night time cruising. We did it a few times and it is magical! 

haggis

30 minutes ago, haggis said:

When we had a share in a boat (started off with OwnerShips then we broke away and self managed ) there was nothing in the insurance which prevented night time cruising. We did it a few times and it is magical! 

haggis

Likewise we had a 1/6 share in an Ownerships boat and there was no problem with night cruising.

After Allen died, we took over running the boat and the syndicate dropped from 12 to 10 shares so our 1/6 became 1/5. 

We sold up 6 years ago when we bought our own boat. 

I think it was the beginning of March when a narrowboat charged past us at our online mooring at high speed in the dark.  He may have been able to see where he was going but he wasn't able to realise that the boat moored alongside us was Halsall, delivering diesel, and attached to us by only one rope.  Some words were exchanged and an apology was received.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

In some cases, the insurance policy explicitly excludes cruising at night (typical for hire boats)  

Do we actually know that, or is that just what Hire companies say so that the hires don't cruise at night?

19 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or like the sort of people who water their lawn at night during a hosepipe ban.

Not a good idea back in 1976 local authuritiy hired a light aircraft from Biggin hill my place of work at the time flew over New addingington and a few other places took pics of the green gardens then went round and stuck them with a fine, simple rearly!

59 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I think it was the beginning of March when a narrowboat charged past us at our online mooring at high speed in the dark.  He may have been able to see where he was going but he wasn't able to realise that the boat moored alongside us was Halsall, delivering diesel, and attached to us by only one rope.  Some words were exchanged and an apology was received.

Why would a fuel boat ony tie up with only one line not to safe if that one line snaps or comes off!

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do we actually know that, or is that just what Hire companies say so that the hires don't cruise at night?

Years ago one company we hired from, knowing that we were experienced boaters, and hiring in the winter when the daylight hours are short, told us they were content for us to boat on after dark. Their insurance actually permitted this (as sometimes hirers did need to push on to get back to base if they had been delayed), but they found it easier to tell hirers the insurance wouldn't allow it, rather than admit it was just the company's own rule.

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, Athy said:

Boating at night has always (well, for as long as I can remember) been prohibited on the Middle Level Navigations. Is this the only place where such a rule applies?

I do not know the reason for the rule, as the danger of disturbing or damaging other boats/ boaters is low, there being not very many of them in these parts.

It's still contrary to their byelaws to cruise on a Sunday morning ....

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

During official "lighting up time", I'd suggest.

Does it still exist? 

I use this website from time to time - eg the last tidal Thames trip I wanted to be sure of arriving at the other end before it got proper dark.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/nautical-twilight.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london

We once went with a boatyard manager, to collect one of their boats which had been abandoned mid-trip by their hirers. The only way to get it back in time for its next hiring was to travel "fly" - ie 24 hours per day. When we arrived at the top of the Lapworth flight the lock-keeper refused to let us proceed because it was a hire boat. It took a LOT of persuasion to get him to telephone the boatyard owners to confirm that we were acting under his instructions and that he should let us through.

When I captained a K&A Trust Trip boat, we regularly ran night cruises. We started in evening light, but it was usually pitch black by the time we returned. I seem to get alloctaed to  more Night cruises than most of the other captains, perhaps beacause I was used to working a bost in the dark from my time on Pisces in the 1960's when boats worked until well into the night. No one ever complained about us passing them in the dark, although we were always careful not to cause a disturbance.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

When I captained a K&A Trust Trip boat, we regularly ran night cruises. We started in evening light, but it was usually pitch black by the time we returned. I seem to get alloctaed to  more Night cruises than most of the other captains, perhaps beacause I was used to working a bost in the dark from my time on Pisces in the 1960's when boats worked until well into the night. No one ever complained about us passing them in the dark, although we were always careful not to cause a disturbance.

They do from Stratford down a lock or two on the Avon and back. A dinner cruise I think it maybe a party boat. Also around Farmers Bridge.

Walking the dog yesterday afternoon I saw one of our club boats heading off somewhere, (it could have been to turn around to head back to the facilities at the club). Not on the mooring, or at the club, today, so they've gone off for a weekend away.

Having said that, if they moor in the place they often talk about, they will only be getting the virus if it makes the transition from animal to human again and, if they've got it, they will only passing it on the other way. No locks or bridges on the canal so, perhaps, no harm done. I'd guess that's what they'll be thinking.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Having said that, if they moor in the place they often talk about, they will only be getting the virus if it makes the transition from animal to human again and, if they've got it, they will only passing it on the other way.

Bit harsh on the good burghers of Lymm ... :D

• Haha 1