Cruising at night.... CRT say don't do it. FFS.

MtB

Featured Posts

Boating at night has always (well, for as long as I can remember) been prohibited on the Middle Level Navigations. Is this the only place where such a rule applies?

I do not know the reason for the rule, as the danger of disturbing or damaging other boats/ boaters is low, there being not very many of them in these parts.

When did most boaters slavishly follow rules anyway?

I love night cruising, done thoughtfully and quietly it disturbs nobody and we never leave gates or paddles open night or day.

Have to be careful around locks though in the dark, the risk element is higher.

Whilst I have only done a very few night time trips, I have loved the experience, for me, whilst I have caught a few more logs and canal rubbish, that I might have seen and avoided, if it had been daylight, I know I travel slower at night, and do take more time and care when locking, it's the nature of the experience., I am also reasonably sure I have never it another boat whilst doing it.

I think CRT need to be aware, as a community, we are would not readily accept draconian restrictions introduced without reasoned justification.   

Eer endeth!

6 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

I think CRT need to be aware, as a community, we are would not readily accept draconian restrictions introduced without reasoned justification

I'm sure you are correct, in view of the number that seem not to accept even the simplest 'restrictions' that are required by law, any 'voluntary' restrictions are unlikely to be accepted.

It may be that some are now "cruising" at night simply because they have to use the nearest services, and are deliberately timing it to minimise contact with others.  If so, then in the current circumstances that perhaps ought be encouraged rather than the opposite.

Say they know, or strongly suspect, they have covid-19?  Wouldn't we all rather they use the services at a time when others aren't around?

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It may be that some are now "cruising" at night simply because they have to use the nearest services, and are deliberately timing it to minimise contact with others.  If so, then in the current circumstances that perhaps ought be encouraged rather than the opposite.

Say they know, or strongly suspect, they have covid-19?  Wouldn't we all rather they use the services at a time when others aren't around?

Good points, M. le Fromage.

OK, so I am getting bored and looking for obscure questions, just to get folk going: just exactly what do you mean by 'night' in the instruction not to cruise at night? (Just, to indulge me, imagine for a mo that such a case came to court and the defendant claimed that it was not night so long as they could see where they were going, without artificial illumination)

32 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

OK, so I am getting bored and looking for obscure questions, just to get folk going: just exactly what do you mean by 'night' in the instruction not to cruise at night? (Just, to indulge me, imagine for a mo that such a case came to court and the defendant claimed that it was not night so long as they could see where they were going, without artificial illumination)

During official "lighting up time", I'd suggest.

Does it still exist? 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
poxy spell check interfering

Every time a boat comes by at night here, they leave every lock gate open behind them. Every. Single. Bloody. Time.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cruising after dark. I like the idea myself, although I've never done it. It would just be nice if people who aren't wilfully ignorant tosspots did it.

3 minutes ago, Izz said:

Every time a boat comes by at night here, they leave every lock gate open behind them. Every. Single. Bloody. Time.

Frankly, I don't think that is possible. The maximum possible number of gates one can have open on a lock at any given time is two, I hold....

:giggles:

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Frankly, I don't think that is possible. The maximum possible number of gates one can have open on a lock at any given time is two, I hold....

:giggles:

I've seen it done. All four gates open. Dudswell lock near Berko. An amazing feat, but someone managed to do it.

5 minutes ago, Izz said:

I've seen it done. All four gates open. Dudswell lock near Berko. An amazing feat, but someone managed to do it.

It wasn't me!!

Nobody saw me do it....

You can't prove anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I'm surprised at you ………………………….

It is already specified in Inland Waterways Laws and will vary from day-to-day.

“night” means the period between sunset and sunrise

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

During official "lighting up time", I'd suggest.

Does it still exist? 

Yes it does.  It still applies to vehicles but if you have a Black Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes or Audi you are exempt in my observation.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Yes it does.  It still applies to vehicles but if you have a Black Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes or Audi you are exempt in my observation.

Yes one still sees cars running around on sidelights in street-lit areas, the drivers presumably still believing the old trope from the 1940s that headlights 'run the battery down'. 

50 minutes ago, MHS said:

Why multi ownership boats?

possibly those in managed schemes such as BCBM or Ownashare are bound by insurance restrictions?

never seen anything in our privately managed T&C's to prohibit it, but i'm going to have to read them carefully now :D

only time i've noticed anyone night cruising past us was one who passed at about 1:30am with radio blaring loudly over his knackered exhaust, presumably other more considerate people have gone by and i just never noticed.

23 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

They are contract hire boats. 

Not sure about that. Are you perhaps a little confused by the difference between a boat which is privately owned and shared and one which is a time share ? If you are, you won't be the only one ?. Sally Ash ex BW was similarly confused. 

Haggis