Cruising at night.... CRT say don't do it. FFS.

MtB

Featured Posts

From the Boaters Update just landed in my in box:

"Can I cruise at night to avoid other boaters?

No, please don’t cruise after dark. It can cause a danger to others, as well as disturbing moored boats you might pass. We’ve also had reports of night-time cruisers leaving lock gates open and paddles up, which results in the loss of water and potential problems for any boats moored in the area."

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From the Boaters Update just landed in my in box:

"Can I cruise at night to avoid other boaters?

No, please don’t cruise after dark. It can cause a danger to others, as well as disturbing moored boats you might pass. We’ve also had reports of night-time cruisers leaving lock gates open and paddles up, which results in the loss of water and potential problems for any boats moored in the area."

Bonkers. Night cruising is awesome. How many of the CART staff live on a boat? come to think of it how many have even seen a boat?

• Greenie 4

Night time cruising has provided quite a few of lifes magical moments, but I really fear that as the cut gets more and more non-boaty liveaboards that we are going to loose it.

..............Dave

• Greenie 4

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can I cruise at night to avoid other boaters?

I only cruise at night because I like cruising at night, so that should be OK.

Surely no one should be cruising except the fuel boats at the moment, day or night?

• Greenie 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

I only cruise at night because I like cruising at night, so that should be OK.

Surely no one should be cruising except the fuel boats at the moment, day or night?

Good point, maybe context is everything.....

It IS the coronavirus boating update.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The main objection seems to be "reports of night-time cruisers leaving lock gates open and paddles up". 

This sort of implies boaters shouldn't cruise in the daytime either, as the same thing sometimes happens in daylight.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Bonkers. Night cruising is awesome. How many of the CART staff live on a boat? come to think of it how many have even seen a boat?

There was a time when there was some esprit de corps (sp?) and folks fet obliged / saw the reason why and followed the rules (most of which made good logical sense for true boaters / users.

Sadly nowadays as in other walks of live - 'nobody gives a toss / jot' . Folks have become empowered - me, me,me  whereas hithertoo there was regard for following boaters / whatever.

• Greenie 1

I don’t think they are trying to say you shouldn’t cruise at night as a general point, it is that you shouldn’t cruise at night to get around the Coronavirus-related instruction to not move at all unless essential. Which would be a bit like using your car for a non essential journey at night, when it is disallowed during the day. Kind of daft!

52 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I suspect that is what CRT wanted to say but, in this era of encouragement, (rather than order and enforcement), they sought a nice way to say it.

I don't think there is anything essential about travel at night, for the sake of it. I guess it would be OK if you were heading to, or from, your nearest water point/elsan/pumpout/rubbish bin.

Having said that, if a boater were to travel at night, he/she probably wouldnt be stopped and, if stopped by someone official, they would probably be given some advice and asked not to travel other than for essential reasons.

Through the summer CRT banned night time boating by closing several lock flights overnight, claiming that boaters were leaving paddles open and so wasting water during the drought. Then when that made no difference they claimed that people/vandals/fishermen/moored boaters (take your pick) were opening paddles to run water down overnight. They even put up notices to that effect (eg at Claydon). It never occurred to them (they said) that leaking paddles/gates were letting the water run down. Any excuse ...

• Greenie 3

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe, but it's a bit obvious if the boat isn't there one day and is the next that you must have turned up overnight!

That requires brains to think that, this crisis has confirmed that the majority of people are rather lacking in that department.

• Greenie 3

I'm not sure that a comment in a blog is anywhere near either official or a legal instruction. 

If it is purely for the duration of the pandemic, fair enough but the mention of locks/paddles left open leads me to think otherwise.

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

I feel a night protest cruise when this little interruption is over....it’s the start of slippery slope if it goes unchallenged. 

You have a valid point-the Watford flight seems to be one that started being locked as a temporary measure recently and doesnt look to be changed now. I thought they might unlock it when they withdrew the vollies last week but not to be.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t think they are trying to say you shouldn’t cruise at night as a general point, it is that you shouldn’t cruise at night to get around the Coronavirus-related instruction to not move at all unless essential. Which would be a bit like using your car for a non essential journey at night, when it is disallowed during the day. Kind of daft!

Or like the sort of people who water their lawn at night during a hosepipe ban.