Finding the right NB

Callum4878

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

wife loved it too, until we saw 70ft. Just too big, but lovely boat.

Classic newbie error. 

Why do you think 70ft is too big? Its the perfect length in my experience. And usually cheaper than 57ft!

On 04/04/2020 at 12:24, Dr Bob said:

Yes it is, but raw water cooling requires more maintenance (changing the rubber impellor) and removing blockages which are bound to happen as you will be using the genny when moored so you will be in the shallowest water with maybe only 1" of water under the intake sometimes.

With a raw water cooled engine  then most of the time you are in the middle of the cut or on a lock landing so you would have a better chance of keeping the mud box clear.

Agree re impeller. Change one per annum. Easy to do. Keep a spare.

Our raw water intake blocked once in 7 years. On a very under used canal infested with blanket weed.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Classic newbie error. 

Why do you think 70ft is too big? Its the perfect length in my experience. And usually cheaper than 57ft!

Our main purpose is to tour the whole network, and for that 57/58 is the required size. Leeds/Liverpool and Yorkshire would be a must for us, and 70ft won’t go there unfortunately, otherwise a bigger boat would be top of the list for the extra space it gives.

On 03/04/2020 at 18:09, ditchcrawler said:

If I could remember the name of his boat I would search for his blog, I am not sure but I think it was a built in cocooned genny but as I said not 100% on that

I seem to recall Bottle's boat was Oakfield - don't know about the genny though.

2 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Our main purpose is to tour the whole network, and for that 57/58 is the required size. Leeds/Liverpool and Yorkshire would be a must for us, and 70ft won’t go there unfortunately, otherwise a bigger boat would be top of the list for the extra space it gives.

Those northern canals and taking a boat up into, (and even under) those high hills is something not to be missed. And up to those most Northern tips of the system, Ripon, the end of the Lancaster, and Skipton. Wonderful, those 70footers just don't know what they are missing out on.

And remember that the popularity of that size, a disadvantage when buying, becomes a distinct advantage when the time come to sell.

Edited by DandV

8 minutes ago, DandV said:

Those northern canals and taking a boat up into, (and even under) those high hills is something not to be missed. And up to those most Northern tips of the system, Ripon, the end of the Lancaster, and Skipton. Wonderful, those 70footers just don't know what they are missing out on.

No, no, there are wolves and sharks up here.  You should all go to Braunston some more ...

Ask @Jim Riley for details ...

If you are willing to risk the wolves (there are wolves but no sharks) then a 70 footer can do both the Rochdale and the HNC, though both are "there and back" trips and I believe the HNC is strictly 70 foot. The Lancaster and L&L will be out of bounds, and I am told Skipton is very good, but you can get into Liverpool.

After over 10 years of CCing there is still a fair bit of the 70 foot system that we have not yet explored.

..................Dave

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, no, there are wolves and sharks up here.  You should all go to Braunston some more ...

Ask @Jim Riley for details ...

10 hours ago, dmr said:

If you are willing to risk the wolves (there are wolves but no sharks) then a 70 footer can do both the Rochdale and the HNC, though both are "there and back" trips and I believe the HNC is strictly 70 foot. The Lancaster and L&L will be out of bounds, and I am told Skipton is very good, but you can get into Liverpool.

After over 10 years of CCing there is still a fair bit of the 70 foot system that we have not yet explored.

..................Dave

The situation isn't helped by southern offcomers encouraging visitors. @dmr you have a long dog to keep the wolves at bay. The majority of southern fluffy lap dogs will just get eaten, hors d'ouvre prior to the owners.

19 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Certainly not, you can travel through the hundreds of boats on AD like I’ve done for the last few months ?

After that rebuff, don't expect any further help or encouragement from this quarter.

Do you reply to all offers of advice in such a dismissive fashion?

15 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

I'd hire and do the Leeds Liverpool if you really want to cross it off your list, rather than be short of space on your own boat for however long you keep it.  Even expanding your horizons to 62' would give more options,  and you can still get to sunny Sheffield if you fancy it.  

Keeping under 58 but going the traditional route is fine if you intend using the back cabin as the bedroom,  we and many others do this but some people would rather sleep on the towpath than brave the complications of the dreaded crossbed.  

I echo all the comments about gas being fine. 

I refitted gas piping (and repaired appliances) on 3 boats. Passed BSC inspection by a *very* picky inspector (he has a thing about unsafe gas,

something about attending fatal accident investigations).

Fit a bubble tester. If you do any work on the pipes, ensure you have a plentiful supply of copper olives. Don't overtighten.

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I'd hire and do the Leeds Liverpool if you really want to cross it off your list, rather than be short of space on your own boat for however long you keep it.  Even expanding your horizons to 62' would give more options,  and you can still get to sunny Sheffield if you fancy it.  

Keeping under 58 but going the traditional route is fine if you intend using the back cabin as the bedroom,  we and many others do this but some people would rather sleep on the towpath than brave the complications of the dreaded crossbed.  

We’ve got a couple of 62ft boats on our list of views, am I right in thinking Leeds Liverpool can accommodate them?

But Ripon is high on the list of visits, hence 57ft.

What is wrong with a cross bed, I’ve seen a few video’s of them and they looked ok.

3 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

What is wrong with a cross bed, I’ve seen a few video’s of them and they looked ok.

Happy with mine, but then I don't have gas and also have a hydraulic drive so I am just a strange bugger

2 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

We’ve got a couple of 62ft boats on our list of views, am I right in thinking Leeds Liverpool can accommodate them?

Yes.  L&L shortboats are 62 feet long.

It is just possible to do it in a 64 foot board but it's hard work and potentially dangerous at that length.

At a full 62ft though, you need to have totally waterproof welldeck and stern doors or engine boards, or you will sink in locks.  The volume of water coming through the mitres on some locks can sink a boat in seconds.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Happy with mine, but then I don't have gas and also have a hydraulic drive so I am just a strange bugger

How tall are you Brian?

I can't get a full night's sleep on a cross bed because I keep banging either my head or my toes on the hull.

38 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Nothing (if it is built correctly)

Many are built with the mattress at, or above, Gunwale height, meaning that the width is under 6 feet.

Our was built below Gunwale height so we had an extra 8 or 9 inches, &, at 6 foot tall I could easily lie 'straight' and even stretch and point my toes.

Like many things, people get one that is built without any thought and they immediately get a reputation for being unusable & "don't have one".

The ONLY downside is having to 'put-up' the bed each night and 'take it down' every morning to allow the corridor to be used.

Our mattress was split 67% / 33% and the short part simply folded up and over the long part complete with all bedding, it was a matter of seconds to put the bed 'up'.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

How tall are you Brian?

I can't get a full night's sleep on a cross bed because I keep banging either my head or my toes on the hull.

There's not much you can do about banging your head, but placing a large dog at the foot of the bed should protect your toes.

..............Dave

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

The situation isn't helped by southern offcomers encouraging visitors. @dmr you have a long dog to keep the wolves at bay. The majority of southern fluffy lap dogs will just get eaten, hors d'ouvre prior to the owners.

As you know we have now spent some time investigating the boating potential of the North, or at least as much as we can in a 70 foot boat. In general I agree that it is not really suitable for southerners, there are just too many hazards, including the odd way the locals talk and the dangerously cheap beer. However I do feel that with a bit of education a few midlanders, especially those from Birmingham and the Black Country, could make the transition as they are already familiar with cheaper beer and funny accents. The width of the locks may require some sort of training course.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

As you know we have now spent some time investigating the boating potential of the North, or at least as much as we can in a 70 foot boat. In general I agree that it is not really suitable for southerners, there are just too many hazards, including the odd way the locals talk and the dangerously cheap beer. However I do feel that with a bit of education a few midlanders, especially those from Birmingham and the Black Country, could make the transition as they are already familiar with cheaper beer and funny accents. The width of the locks may require some sort of training course.

.................Dave

You were fully vetted I am infromed before being allowed oop norrf. Most suvverners would not be able to eat the first class fish and chips at about a fiver or not much more and the sensibly priced proper beer, remember many people think fullers make beer!!

As for cross beds they are the thing of the devil for tidgy boats and make nooooooooooooooo sense on any boat of a substantial length.

On 03/04/2020 at 16:22, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you cite a vintage engine that can be made to comply?

I don't think there is one.

I would not have thought tier 4 hard to achieve, it has no cat or EGR so its just down to design a trad engine fully rebuilt might do it you never know

On 03/04/2020 at 18:03, Mike the Boilerman said:

How did he charge the batteries?

Most electric boats run perfectly well, its the battery charging that all the problems revolve around.

If you moor in a marina with a whopping great shoreline supply and always return to base every night then fine, but if you want to stay out then you'll need to take a diesel engine with you anyway and run it all evening once you've moored up. So what's the point?

Or use solar

4 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

But Ripon is high on the list of visits, hence 57ft.

I would keep away from 62ft, you will struggle on the Leeds & Liv. especially when you have your buttons on. I did go up to Bingley this summer I'm 61ft6" Trad, nearer 63ft with buttons on. I got drenched, had to close everything down, was not enjoyable, you have to be on the ball with the cills, it's just not worth the hassle going to 62ft. Also you can't get to Ripon or Sheffield. 

You can't do the L&L in a 64ft, the lock keepers will not let you through the manned flights, the Liverpool short boats were 60ft not 64ft, 

You will not notice the difference between 58ft and 62ft inside if the space is used correctly, but you will notice it on the outside in the locks, trying to find a mooring and navigating also cost with license and mooring fees. It's not worth the hassle, stick with a 58ft far easier and easier to sell on once you wish.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes.  L&L shortboats are 62 feet long.

It is just possible to do it in a 64 foot board but it's hard work and potentially dangerous at that length.

At a full 62ft though, you need to have totally waterproof welldeck and stern doors or engine boards, or you will sink in locks.  The volume of water coming through the mitres on some locks can sink a boat in seconds.

I'm sure the L&L short boats were 60ft x 14ft.

The lock keepers will not let you through with 64ft, as you'll be over the lock recommended length, they will not risk it.