Finding the right NB

Callum4878

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A 57 footer will also cost as much a s a70 footer second hand.

My perception when boat shopping is this is not quite true. A 57 footer costs significantly MORE than an equivalent boat 65ft or 70ft, because there is so much more demand for 57ft in particular. Some real bargains to be had if you start looking at 60+ft boats.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I'd also forget the 58' thing. If you're having a vintage engine (which you should) you'll be needing a back cabin, having the engine in a rear cabin just doesn't work.  That takes a fair bit of room in a "go anywhere" length.  

It opens up a lot more second hand boats you previously didn't consider,  and let's be honest if you really want to go to Wakefield by canal go for a walk.  Obviously not now. 

• Greenie 1

All of the above PLUS

IMHO I would avoid a private seller in this climate, I would avoid any over-reliance on electrics as it is VERY dependant on who fitted it - so gas gives you options - I would avoid vintage engines (even thought I've had loads and wouldn't buy a boat without one) unless you have some knowledge of the basic mechanicals

In other words keep it SIMPLE

Join RCR on day one of ownership

Insist on LOADS of info and photos from any broker and if they resist ask yourself why

Don't swerve having a survey (unless there is a very recent one and you can talk to the surveyor and hopefully transfer the "ownership" - that might restrict your broker/boatyard choices

Have you shared your budget?

Still possible to buy blind if you are very comfortable with the above - might be a bargain or two out there - I can certainly think of a few boats I would buy on the market today and others if they came up 

3 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I'd also forget the 58' thing. If you're having a vintage engine (which you should) you'll be needing a back cabin, having the engine in a rear cabin just doesn't work.  That takes a fair bit of room in a "go anywhere" length.  

But, as mentioned above, not wasted space.

I think our engine room is about 5'6" long, which is probably typical for a modern boat (built 2006). 

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

But, as mentioned above, not wasted space.

I think our engine room is about 5'6" long, which is probably typical for a modern boat (built 

No, definitely not wasted space.  Ours is nearly 9' and more or less central, so an ideal store room. Handy for essentials,  like beer. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've obviously not spent much time on the BCN then. 

My RWC was forever getting blocked with carp requiring tedious stops to clear it out. 

Cruising along, every so often wafts of steam up the side of the  the boat. Peer around and see no water from the outflow... dammit stop yet again.

We used to have that problem on Fulbourne. Bits of debris would get sucked in and wedged in the valves of the reciprocating cooing water pump, meaning no flow and steam from the water outlet.  The answer was pond filter foam in the mud box - several layers graded from coarse to fine. Stops all the crap while allowing the water to flow. And can be cleaned out at your convenience - just rinse out the foam in the cut and replace.

Edited by David Mack

59 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

No, definitely not wasted space.  Ours is nearly 9' and more or less central, so an ideal store room. Handy for essentials,  like beer. 

Doesn't it get a bit warm?, I keep mine in the very front (indoor) locker up against the water tank.

............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Doesn't it get a bit warm?, I keep mine in the very front (indoor) locker up against the water tank.

............Dave

I'm surprised beer lasts long enough in your boat to have a chance to get warm!

:cheers:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm surprised beer lasts long enough in your boat to have a chance to get warm!

:cheers:

Its getting to be a worry, more than half way through the stockpile already, might have to see if the local brewery will deliver a box of cans. The kids live in Bristol less than a mile from the Arbor brewery and they get a same day delivery when required. However at present I am glad to be in a small Yorkshire town than a big city.

A fairly local pub is still open as its a centre for veg box collections , I hear that its sometimes possible to grab a quick (and free) pint. I wonder if we could get through a whole veg box every day ? ?

.............Dave

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isnt that part of the silencing, a water cooled exhaust system and water gas separator 

Yes it is, but raw water cooling requires more maintenance (changing the rubber impellor) and removing blockages which are bound to happen as you will be using the genny when moored so you will be in the shallowest water with maybe only 1" of water under the intake sometimes.

With a raw water cooled engine  then most of the time you are in the middle of the cut or on a lock landing so you would have a better chance of keeping the mud box clear.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was thinking of Vocation as they are just up the road, but this looks very tempting. The Saltaire Blonde cask works out at £1.40/pint but I don't think its viable, assuming a 7 day life that equates to 10 pints every day. And where would I keep it? Don't have enough solar or battery or solar to go 7 days without an engine run otherwise it could go on in the engine room (getting the thread almost back on topic ?). Will maybe go for the bottles, wonder if they would deliver to the boat?

..................Dave

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

wonder if they would deliver to the boat?

Don't see why not.  They like boats outside their brewery, so it's a regular stopping point when over that way.

Mooring up 50 feet from the brewery tap can get expensive and wobbly though. :D

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Steel floor and unlined hull sides below gunwhale so unless plodding up the Ashby in a heatwave it's pretty cool.

I wouldn't have thought the friction from scraping along the bottom would have generated that much heat? ???

On 04/04/2020 at 10:30, Athy said:

I'm biased, as we have a boat with a Gardner engine in its own engine room. But it's worth mentioning that this space isn't just useful as a home for the engine. It will also swallow up loads of "stuff" (tools, containers of oil, folding bike, water containers, bulky outdoor clothing....) which do not then need to be stored elsewhere and which thus don't get in the way. In addition, the engine exudes loads of dry heat which is useful for drying wet clothes and towels (we have a washing line stretched fore to aft above it). This heat continues to emanate from the engine for a couple of hours after the end of it's day's work, and thus helps to warm the bedroom as long as you remember to leave the rear engine-room door open.

Oh, and it helps keep you out of your wife's way as you spend a happy hour in there with the Brasso and cloths!

Are these boats on sale with brokers? Some of us would be very interested in seeing their details.

You’re preaching to the already converted re engine rooms, and would spend a fair bit of my time in there I reckon. Thanks for all the advantages of said ER, I’ve duly passed them on to the other half, so?
Both boats with nice engines are on Apollo Duck, they are very much the minority in the current boats for sale listings unfortunately. Saw one called Oakapple on Rugby boats a while back, and was totally smitten with it, but alas it was sold.

2 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

You’re preaching to the already converted re engine rooms, and would spend a fair bit of my time in there I reckon. Thanks for all the advantages of said ER, I’ve duly passed them on to the other half, so?
Both boats with nice engines are on Apollo Duck, they are very much the minority in the current boats for sale listings unfortunately. Saw one called Oakapple on Rugby boats a while back, and was totally smitten with it, but alas it was sold.

You should have gone for Gertie. I went to view but another couple were waiting and put a deposit down after I left. She was immaculate inside with a pristine 2LW. I ended up putting a deposit on another ( 60ft classic trad from a top builder but advertised as a 62ft) but it had too many issues (3 x Victron AGM batteries knackered due to misuse of charging, the 5 other batteries no doubt suspect and with serious (hydraulic) bowthruster issues and a 2LW that really hadn't been looked after in recent years - chain not been adjusted, suspect type of oil with a whole bag of cat litter chucked under the engine).  Paintwork getting tired etc etc. The owner (of just 15 mths and barely used it) wouldn't accept the reduced offer via the broker as he thought the boat/engine et all was in perfect nick!). But then he was ensuring that the inverter AND charger were turned on when cruising! Lovely chap though. Good luck with your quest!

32 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

You should have gone for Gertie. I went to view but another couple were waiting and put a deposit down after I left. She was immaculate inside with a pristine 2LW. I ended up putting a deposit on another ( 60ft classic trad from a top builder but advertised as a 62ft) but it had too many issues (3 x Victron AGM batteries knackered due to misuse of charging, the 5 other batteries no doubt suspect and with serious (hydraulic) bowthruster issues and a 2LW that really hadn't been looked after in recent years - chain not been adjusted, suspect type of oil with a whole bag of cat litter chucked under the engine).  Paintwork getting tired etc etc. The owner (of just 15 mths and barely used it) wouldn't accept the reduced offer via the broker as he thought the boat/engine et all was in perfect nick!). But then he was ensuring that the inverter AND charger were turned on when cruising! Lovely chap though. Good luck with your quest!

33 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Haven’t seen Gertie on my travels, but she sounds exactly what I’m looking for, other one sounds rough, I’d give that a miss.

Its looking like a long frustrating wait until I can go look at some, want one now!!!!

Only other thing keeping me off the network is my elderly horse, 27 this year and looking half that!

1 minute ago, Callum4878 said:

Haven’t seen Gertie on my travels, but she sounds exactly what I’m looking for, other one sounds rough, I’d give that a miss.

Its looking like a long frustrating wait until I can go look at some, want one now!!!!

Only other thing keeping me off the network is my elderly horse, 27 this year and looking half that!

Great Heywood confirmed to me that she's been sold although they generally leave their advertised boats as 'available', no doubt to get you to call them!?

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/gertie/

3 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

"Only other thing keeping me off the network is my elderly horse, 27 this year and looking half that!"

Why bother with a classic engine, you already have the ultimate horse-power! ?

44 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Amongst our 'herd' of horse & ponies we have a 27 year old Driving Pony who has competed all over the world and won the European Driving championship.

My wife regularly drove until recently.

We were discussing the possibility of using her to 'power' our NB, our Daughter In Law (a 'townie' from Stoke) said, with all seriousness :

"Won't her feet go all soft and wrinkly" and then went on to ask "what happens when you stop for the night, how will you get her out of the Canal ?"

How we laughed and she had no idea why.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Amongst our 'herd' of horse & ponies we have a 27 year old Driving Pony who has competed all over the world and won the European Driving championship.

We were discussing the possibility of using her to 'power' our NB, our Daughter In Law (a 'townie' from Stoke) said, with all seriousness :

"Won't her feet go all soft and wrinkly" and then went on to ask "what happens when you stop for the night, how will you get her out of the Canal ?"

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

???? Ive been asked how old are ponies when they become horses before now!
Had a look at “Gertie” Wow! I was reaching for my cheque book!, wife loved it too, until we saw 70ft. Just too big, but lovely boat.