Loading Wabasto correctly

Featured Posts

Quick question

im currently fitting out my barge with a 2 pipe central heating system using a 5.2kw Webasto Thermo top c. Now as most people know and also states in the user manual they need to be correctly loaded. They state 10% more making it 5.7. I really only plan on 2 rads plus the water tank. I don’t think this will reach the required load. 

Question  is can I install another radiator in the engine bay? This will not take up any room plus will load the Webasto enough in the summer when all other rads are off (apart from towel rail). I can’t see anything against it in the BSS regs. See attached drawing if not see in my other recent post.

3CBF462C-2703-4AD0-871A-2040A21D958D.jpeg.769085e714dda97bc7c7be9ca3201fbe.jpeg

Edited by Greenhorn

You may have a problem in Summer when the engine room is already hot, throwing extra heat into it could adversely affect things that shouldn't run hot (alternator for example)

If you NEVER run the engine at the same time as the Webby then it might be OK

It would be better to get either a 3Kw webby, or install another radiator in the living area of the boat.

Consider a blower box. My Thermotop C system has only 2.5KW or radiators so I added a Kalori Silencio FAI blower box under the stern steps (it blows warm air into the cabin) It adds 1.7KW of load and they make larger ones if needed.

Edited by Woodwych

If you are doing this from scratch and are struggling for space for more radiators? then when you fit the piping 22 mil? fit plenty of fin rads along the system. I have this on my system and it gives a superb blanket of heat throughout and includes all wardrobe and cupboard spaces keeping them dry and free from damp.

2 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

I guess my main concern is what do you do in the summer? 

can the Webasto be set to come on for just the amount of time it takes to heat the water then and then switch off? 

Yes. I have valves on my system to divert or close either the heating or water heating system independantly. You could always have a rad in the bathroom on to dump some of the heat?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes. I have valves on my system to divert or close either the heating or water heating system independantly. You could always have a rad in the bathroom on to dump some of the heat?

How do you stop the Webasto cycling when it’s just heating the water ?

as I said in my original post and in the diagram, I’ll keep a towel rail on all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

How do you stop the Webasto cycling when it’s just heating the water ?

as I said in my original post and in the diagram, I’ll keep a towel rail on all the time. 

I generaly dont only use it for heating water, I would switch it off as soon as the water was getting hot. I use immersion for water when on shoreline and engine at other times. You could also fit a morco as they are great for hot water if you have a convenient space? In winter I have majority going to heating and a little to the cauliflower

Have you seen my thread in the Equipment forum? 

My 4 single panel rads only amount to about 3.2kW in total so I was going change them for double panel rads. However, I'd forgotten to include the kW output of the pipework and in my case that's about 1.5kW. That's still a bit under the output of the webasto but with the calorifier it should be ok and I think I'm just going to be using mine for an hour or so every day to heat the boat up quickly and get some hot water while getting the stove going.

3 hours ago, Greenhorn said:

Question  is can I install another radiator in the engine bay? This will not take up any room plus will load the Webasto enough in the summer when all other rads are off (apart from towel rail). I can’t see anything against it in the BSS regs. See attached drawing if not see in my other recent post.

If it's an uninsulated engine bay you'll be creating a lot of condensation in there in winter, but if you're ok with that then I don't see why not.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Woodwych said:

Consider a blower box. My Thermotop C system has only 2.5KW or radiators so I added a Kalori Silencio FAI blower box under the stern steps (it blows warm air into the cabin) It adds 1.7KW of load and they make larger ones if needed.

What's the difference between one of those and potentially a much cheaper second hand car radiator from ebay?

https://kalori.com/en/products/heating/water-heater/silencio-fai/

I'm always a bit wary of products which ask you to request a price. Why don't they just publish the prices on their website?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Greenhorn said:

I guess my main concern is what do you do in the summer? 

can the Webasto be set to come on for just the amount of time it takes to heat the water then and then switch off? 

Yes if you have a timer, but anything less than an hour's run time probably isn't very good for the heater.

Is the webasto your only form of heating water?

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes if you have a timer, but anything less than an hour's run time probably isn't very good for the heater.

Is the webasto your only form of heating water?

the wabasto came with a timer I’ll look into how that works And what I can pre set. 

no the calorifier has a immersion but I’m not sure if I’ll be on shore power all of the time. 

1 minute ago, Greenhorn said:

the wabasto came with a timer I’ll look into how that works And what I can pre set. 

no the calorifier has a immersion but I’m not sure if I’ll be on shore power all of the time. 

But you could run the engine to heat water and charge the batteries at the same time.

On 03/04/2020 at 17:19, blackrose said:

What's the difference between one of those and potentially a much cheaper second hand car radiator from ebay?

https://kalori.com/en/products/heating/water-heater/silencio-fai/

I'm always a bit wary of products which ask you to request a price. Why don't they just publish the prices on their website?

They are designed for the purpose and look neat.

Not too expensive.https://www.kuranda.co.uk/product/kalori-silencio-fai/

On 04/04/2020 at 18:34, Woodwych said:

They are designed for the purpose and look neat.

Not too expensive.https://www.kuranda.co.uk/product/kalori-silencio-fai/

Looking at the dimensions they're not as big as I imagined from the picture. How loud is yours? It says 48dB which doesn't seem quiet but what's it like in practice?

Anyway, they do look neat and that 1.7kW will be good if I want to keep the webasto running after the calorifier has heated up so I've ordered one. Thanks.

Edited by blackrose

You can get 12v hydronic plinth heaters for bathrooms, that would fit very nicely under kitchen cupboards. Smith's SS5 also comes in a dual version (although not 12v) so can be either hydronic or electric (ie. Webasto or landland). The price varies wildly from different suppliers.

56 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

You can get 12v hydronic plinth heaters for bathrooms, that would fit very nicely under kitchen cupboards. Smith's SS5 also comes in a dual version (although not 12v) so can be either hydronic or electric (ie. Webasto or landland). The price varies wildly from different suppliers.

I bet its 12 volts AC

• Greenie 1

On 06/04/2020 at 14:32, blackrose said:

Looking at the dimensions they're not as big as I imagined from the picture. How loud is yours? It says 48dB which doesn't seem quiet but what's it like in practice?

Anyway, they do look neat and that 1.7kW will be good if I want to keep the webasto running after the calorifier has heated up so I've ordered one. Thanks.

You are quite right, you can certainly hear it- but that noise is reassuring as it means heat is on it's way! Its similar I think to a fan that you'd use in the summer. Mine is wired into a room thermostat which is at the far end of the galley/saloon once temperature is reached the fan cuts out.