Diesel Fuel Cap Security

Featured Posts

At the moment since we use red it is mainly boaters who nick the fuel, when we are using white car owners as well will be potential thieves. Also since the government environment report is recommending the discouragement of diesel ,I expect large price rises are in the offing possibly with a recovery of the tax available to lorry companies. 

10 hours ago, Athy said:

Er yes, that's exactly what I said. To put it another, simpler, way: almost no one, with the exception of a few liveaboards, is boating at the moment, so almost no one on a boat has any reason to steal diesel because they aren't using any diesel.

A few?

5,000 CC liveaboards would be more like it, a good proportion of whom burn diesel on a daily basis to generate their electricity and/or hot water.

will someone just post the price of a dipstop cap, the website doesn't let on, and it seems if you have one you're only allowed to say "not cheap but well worth it".

are you sworn to secrecy upon purchase or something? ?

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

will someone just post the price of a dipstop cap, the website doesn't let on, and it seems if you have one you're only allowed to say "not cheap but well worth it".

e.g. https://www.marinesuperstore.com/search?searchtext=locking fuel cap £29.95

Not Dipstop Cap, though.

http://www.dipstop.co.uk/boat.html

No price, so does it come under the category "If you got to ask you can't afford it"?

Edited by Ray T

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A few?

I was referring to those who are moving around; as I understand it, CART has told them that for the time being they don't need to move every 14 days, hence the number using diesel for propulsion must have reduced drastically.

Don't (doesn't?) a large proportion of liveaboards use a generator, more typically powered by petrol, to produce electricity?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Don't (doesn't?) a large proportion of liveaboards use a generator, more typically powered by petrol, to produce electricity?

You are (deliberately?) mixing up liveaboards and CCers again.

Most liveaboards just use the shore power at their mooring for most of their electricity needs.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

When I purchased our DIPSTOP we paid £94 .39 including vat postage, this was in 2014 from jbl mechanical engineers. 01939251351.That was the price then SO NO secrecy i didn't put the price on my post as i had no idea of the price now and did not want to mislead the OP,

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, luggsy said:

This is what we have on our narrow boat 1st and 2nd pictures are of the stove tank on the starboard 3rd engine and webasto tank

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Very neat, I haven't seen that arrangement before.

If fuel theft from boats common in the UK ?

On mainland Europe boats have been using white diesel for some years . Is fuel theft from boats in mainland  Europe more common than in the UK?

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If fuel theft from boats common in the UK ?

On mainland Europe boats have been using white diesel for some years . Is fuel theft from boats in mainland  Europe more common than in the UK?

I have no idea, I just know someone thought they had more right to my red diesel than I did 

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You are (deliberately?) mixing up liveaboards and CCers again.

Most liveaboards just use the shore power at their mooring for most of their electricity needs.

Why would I deliberately mix them up?

Since many marinas do not accept liveaboards, or will take in only a few of them, I am not sure that I am mixing them up anyway.  Have you evidence that the majority of liveaboards moor in marinas?

Doesn't answer the question but shows how many liveaboards they may be :

The 2008 boaters’ survey conducted by British Waterways included the question “Is your boat your main residence?” 18% answered yes as main or Monday-Friday residence, and extrapolating this to the (approximately) 30,000 privately licensed boats, British Waterways estimates that approximately 5,400 boats on its waterways are used for residential purposes.

I'd suggest that since 2008 the numbers of liveaboards has (possibly) more than doubled.

Approximately  50% of boats in London do not have a home mooring.

London : Boat numbers have increased 84% since 2012, from 2,326 to 4,274 in 2019. The figures come from our annual boat count, which also shows that boats without a home mooring in the capital have risen 246%, from 638 in 2012 to 2208 this year.

On 03/04/2020 at 14:05, Troyboy said:

The easiest and cheapest way is to drill a hole through the cap and threaded upstand and then fit a padlock with a long shank.through the hole you have drilled. I done that on my boat . One thing to remember is place a magnet near where you are drilling to collect the swarf.  A small amount is bound to  get in the diesel tank but will sink to the bottom and in the unlikely event of being picked up will be caught in the fuel filter.  Obviously a really determined thief with a cordless grinder will soon cut the lock off . Screwfix or Ebay  should be able to provide a suitable padlock .

Doesn't that create a potential path for rain water to slowly get onto the tank? 

On 03/04/2020 at 15:51, Athy said:

Er yes, that's exactly what I said. To put it another, simpler, way: almost no one, with the exception of a few liveaboards, is boating at the moment, so almost no one on a boat has any reason to steal diesel because they aren't using any diesel.

I don't follow your logic? The current situation will hopefully only continue for several months at the most, whereas once a locking cap is fitted it will be there for good. If someone was asking how to service their engine would you be saying it's an unusual time for them to be asking such a question because nobody was going anywhere?

On 04/04/2020 at 02:01, Mike the Boilerman said:

A few?

5,000 CC liveaboards would be more like it, a good proportion of whom burn diesel on a daily basis to generate their electricity and/or hot water.

That's true as well.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I don't follow your logic? The current situation will hopefully only continue for several months at the most, whereas once a locking cap is fitted it will be there for good. If someone was asking how to service their engine would you be saying it's an unusual time for them to be asking such a question because nobody was going anywhere?

Yes, that would be a sensible reply at the moment.

It is surely not difficult to follow the logic that at a time when much less diesel is being used, there is much less demand for it.

18 hours ago, Athy said:

I was referring to those who are moving around; as I understand it, CART has told them that for the time being they don't need to move every 14 days, hence the number using diesel for propulsion must have reduced drastically.

Some do yes, and as MtB said some also use diesel to produce heat and hot water.

• Angry 1

On 03/04/2020 at 19:22, CLAN1 said:

This our ours, dipstop not cheap but very secure, can highly recommend

IMG_20170919_205244.jpg

We also have a Dipstop locking cap. Excellent piece of kit. BUT...... the keys (2) are made of a very soft metal and I sheared one off in the lock. It was a bugger to remove. I have emailed and phoned DIPSTOP on numerous occasions to try and get a replacement, to no avail. And I tried many key cutting companies. No success as it is a unique design key and they can’t get the blanks. So I have to be VERY careful now with my only spare! ?

45 minutes ago, KJT said:

We also have a Dipstop locking cap. Excellent piece of kit. BUT...... the keys (2) are made of a very soft metal and I sheared one off in the lock. It was a bugger to remove. I have emailed and phoned DIPSTOP on numerous occasions to try and get a replacement, to no avail.

Hmmm. For £95 + 5 years inflation I would hope for better service from the supplier than that!

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Doesn't that create a potential path for rain water to slowly get onto the tank? 

Yes, but the amount would be so small I suspect not to be an issue . I've certainly had no problem and never found any water in my water separator . 

3 hours ago, KJT said:

We also have a Dipstop locking cap. Excellent piece of kit. BUT...... the keys (2) are made of a very soft metal and I sheared one off in the lock. It was a bugger to remove. I have emailed and phoned DIPSTOP on numerous occasions to try and get a replacement, to no avail. And I tried many key cutting companies. No success as it is a unique design key and they can’t get the blanks. So I have to be VERY careful now with my only spare! ?

After 6 years ive never had a problem with keys, like mos key operated items you should lubricate the lock regular we do whenever we fill up its not a hardship,