Solar Panel connector / tail wires

sirweste

Featured Posts

Evening folks,

2 or more years ago I bought some more solar to install, Bimble had some used panels for a good price, but when they (2 off) arrived I decided they were too large (full size) for my boat; so they've sat in the hall ever since.

Now I find myself one of the lucky ones working from home and thus am using more electric than normal, so want to get one of these panels slung on the roof haphazardly to help reduce the required genny run time. Not looking for the perfect install, just want to get at least one of them on the roof for now to help - I have a Honda 2.2kw genny but I still hate listening to it.

My issue:

The panels are totally bare. With 4 tabs / strips / bands to solder to on the rear. 

I've got some proper cable and connectors but I'm not sure how to wire on.

I've checked the panels and the 4 tabs are two positives and 2 negs. I assume the panel is split in two? Each side was putting out ~8V (in the shaded hallway)

I have a Tracer 40A (or 50A) MPPT controller, currently there are 2 off 200W panels fed into it, I think in parallel.

• Is there a standard box I need to buy to attach to the back of the panel? - as my other two have.
  • Do I wire the two sides of the panel together in series?

Cheers for any help and advice

Pictures to be attached shortly, one of the blank panel in the hall, the other of the box on the back of one of the installed 100W panels.

E5EF5797-6838-4C9C-9E6D-5CECD121C89B.jpeg

81FF94FD-E87D-4DAA-93CD-4EA803B5E4CD.jpeg

Edited by sirweste