Busted gear box?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

That makes sense to an extent. 

Not sure where they would have got the steel part from as both the Delta and the 150 are described as two halves of cast aluminium. 

I know Jono at UCC knows his stuff so would not argue it's just odd and not original to the PRM gearbox. 

I suppose it's possible some cast iron casings were made for testing purposes. 

Or maybe there were some cast iron PRM 150 gearboxes. The 160 and 260 are cast iron as are the larger units. 

You could well be right saying cast iron instead of steel, and TBH I'm not sure which half was which now. Your suggestion about test pieces makes sense too. All I know for certain, whatever I did it always leaked - to the extent I always travelled with a container underneath it so that every night I could pour the oil back into the filler hole.

20 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

whatever I did it always leaked - to the extent I always travelled with a container underneath it so that every night I could pour the oil back into the filler hole.

Reminds me of my old Norton Jubilee.

Never needed to do an oil change, simply top up each day from the can and within a week it had done a 'self-change'.

1960 Norton Jubilee | W25 | Las Vegas 2020

19 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Whilst they are similar, I don't believe that a PRM 150 is just a renaming of the Delta.

I would be fairly confident that there are differences between them, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

The 150 has a beefed up input shaft. I think this is the only difference.

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

The 150 has a beefed up input shaft. I think this is the only difference.

I must admit I thought I had been told that the only difference was in that area.

However that answer doesn't agree with this one...

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

PRM150 and the Deltas are very different animals.

Some of the Deltas on BMC 1.5Ds had the bearings for the intermediate shafts in the back of the bell housing rather than in the casing front half. The cases are all aluminium, never seen a steel one.

Which is correct I wouldn't know , but I was just trying to point out that one was not just a simple renaming of the other, as Magnetmans post implied.

25 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I must admit I thought I had been told that the only difference was in that area.

However that answer doesn't agree with this one...

Which is correct I wouldn't know , but I was just trying to point out that one was not just a simple renaming of the other, as Magnetmans post implied.

Just had a look at the delta manual, it looks very much the same as a 150 to me.  https://www.prm-newage.com/media/File/delta man.pdf

https://www.prm-newage.com/media/uploads/5050834c6f7e0.pdf

Edited by Flyboy

As it's hydraulic the PRM 150 can go straight from forward to reverse without any damage to the gearbox. Personally I don't do that on mine, firstly because I have some mechanical sympathy and don't like to stress my equipment unnecessarily, but also because before engaging reverse I often like to see how the current and wind are affecting the boat so I put it into neutral for a couple of seconds.