Busted gear box?

Featured Posts

HI, I have just bought a wide beam, and although I have some experience with canal boats I think I've managed to destroy(?) the gear box while trying  reverse it.

I was going from forward to reverse repeatedly, without resting in idle in between. Now it's stuck in reverse only! Also it's never in idle anymore, the propellar is always in motion.

It's a prm120 gear box

55hp Isuzu engine

I was wondering

a) If you think it's the gearbox, and have I ruined it, or can be repaired?

B) is it safe to use the engine now (for charging) even though it's starting straight in gear?

C) if you had any other insights

Edited by Bern0

22 minutes ago, Bern0 said:

HI, I have just bought a wide beam, and although I have some experience with canal boats I think I've managed to destroy(?) the gear box while trying  reverse it.

I was going from forward to reverse repeatedly, without resting in idle in between. Now it's stuck in reverse only! Also it's never in idle anymore, the propellar is always in motion.

It's a PRM120 gear box

55hp Isuzu engine

I was wondering

a) If you think it's the gearbox, and have I ruined it, or can be repaired?

B) is it safe to use the engine now (for charging) even though it's starting straight in gear?

C) if you had any other insights

a) it can always be repaired you could talk to Andy at PRM for his thoughts if they are working 

b) IMHO yes

c) loads but not relevant here - unless you would like to re-assure us your wide-beam is based on an appropriate waterway :)

Have fun and don't panic...……………...lots of help about - that's we are boaters...…………………………..

General comment for all - why do some recent posters feel the need to start with "I've got/just bought a wide beam" rather than I've just bought a boat - I wouldn't start with "I've just bought a Tug" - Is it marketing based??

Edited by Halsey

Thanks for the quick answers

As of answer 1, the lever works but wires just flex and don't seem to be moving anything on the gearbox. I guess they should, and this is the gear selector you mean? Sorry dont know much about mechanics!

Answer 2. Thanks I will ask a prm person.

I'm glad you think that it's fine to start as it was making a roar starting it in gear

Yeh thought it might be relevant, maybe gearbox wasn't big enough or something

Thanks again

1 minute ago, Bern0 said:

Thanks for the quick answers

As of answer 1, the lever works but wires just flex and don't seem to be moving anything on the gearbox. I guess they should, and this is the gear selector you mean? Sorry dont know much about mechanics!

Answer 2. Thanks I will ask a prm person.

I'm glad you think that it's fine to start as it was making a roar starting it in gear

Yeh thought it might be relevant, maybe gearbox wasn't big enough or something

Thanks again

Sounds like the cable snapped. Where it links to the gearbox try and move it with your hand

Cable is busted and jamming in the outer sheath, disconnect it at the gearbox end, change gear manually, bet it works OK. 

PRM120 is not the best, a purely mechanical box, but they survive this sort of treatment day in and day out on hire boats.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Cable is busted and jamming in the outer sheath, disconnect it at the gearbox end, change gear manually, bet it works OK. 

PRM120 is not the best, a purely mechanical box, but they survive this sort of treatment day in and day out on hire boats.

What 'e said ^^^^^^^^. Almost certainly a busted gear cable. Around £30 to replace. Worth getting a spare while you are at it. The single control lever works two cables. One to the engine for speed and one to the gearbox, hence what you are seeing with the engine working normally, but the gearbox stuck in reverse, the position it happened to be in when the cable snapped.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

If it is a broken cable, they are quite easy to replace if you have the right tools. They do come with different connectors so It would be a good idea to post a photo of the single lever control and the gearbox end of the cable on here as someone (RLWP) may be able to tell you the cable type. They also come in different lenghts so you need to measure the old one.

Are you a member of RCR? It might be worth joining and then get one of their engineers to come out.

Midland Chandlers supply cables https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/engineering-tools/engine-controls/control-cables

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Halsey said:

General comment for all - why do some recent posters feel the need to start with "I've got/just bought a wide beam" rather than I've just bought a boat - I wouldn't start with "I've just bought a Tug" - Is it marketing based??

Possibly its a cry for help "I know nothing about boats or mechanicals, and just wanted a floating flat"

56 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I'd suggest it is because they've read threads here where as soon as someone does what you suggest, everyone starts asking what SORT of boat is it? Widebeam? Canoe? Converted trawler or what? !!

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Ryeland said:

55hp is a huge engine to be working through a PRM120. For example Beta only fit it to the 38, not anything larger. Are you sure it's a 120? A photo would help.

Richard

2020-04-01 15.31.00.jpg

2020-04-01 15.31.36.jpg

If the cable snaps, moving the lever to the "reverse" position will often push it into reverse but will not pull it back out of reverse again. If you put the lever to "ahead" or "neutral" and then move the selector on the gearbox to the neutral (central) position, you will be able to stay in neutral and use the engine for charging as long as you only ever select "neutral" or "forwards" at the lever.

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Certainly looks to me as though the gear lever on the gearbox is "in gear".

Busted cable, almost certain now. 

Busted cable it was. Disconnected cable and gears change manually no problem!

Thanks very much for everyone's input.

Much better than new gearbox!

1 minute ago, Bern0 said:

Busted cable it was. Disconnected cable and gears change manually no problem!

Thanks very much for everyone's input.

Much better than new gearbox!

Excellent. where do we send the bill?

(Just kiddin'!!)

15 minutes ago, Bern0 said:

2020-04-01 15.31.36.jpg

OK the lever where your toe is needs moving towards the black pipes. It will be stiff to start with it will then get easier as it goes into neutral. Stop at this point and try starting your engine the prop shaft should rotate. If it does try moving the lever whilst the engine is running to a point when the prop shaft stops rotating.  If you can't move the lever unbolt the cable from the lever, there is a rusty nut holding it in place so you may have to oil it first or use WD40. When you've done that tyry moving the lever again. Don't lose any bits.

54 minutes ago, Richard T said:

If it is a broken cable, they are quite easy to replace if you have the right tools. They do come with different connectors so It would be a good idea to post a photo of the single lever control and the gearbox end of the cable on here as someone (RLWP) may be able to tell you the cable type. They also come in different lenghts so you need to measure the old one.

Are you a member of RCR? It might be worth joining and then get one of their engineers to come out.

Midland Chandlers supply cables https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/engineering-tools/engine-controls/control-cables

2020-04-01 15.54.02.jpg

1 hour ago, Ryeland said:

55hp is a huge engine to be working through a PRM120. For example Beta only fit it to the 38, not anything larger. Are you sure it's a 120? A photo would help.

Richard

Indeed!

2 minutes ago, Richard T said:

OK the lever where your toe is needs moving towards the black pipes. It will be stiff to start with it will then get easier as it goes into neutral. Stop at this point and try starting your engine the prop shaft should rotate. If it does try moving the lever whilst the engine is running to a point when the prop shaft stops rotating.  If you can't move the lever unbolt the cable from the lever, there is a rusty nut holding it in place so you may have to oil it first or use WD40. When you've done that tyry moving the lever again. Don't lose any bits.

Did this and slipped into neutral and forwards, no problem ?