Leave boat for longer than norm.....

robtheplod

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are allegedly benefits to both systems, unfortunately I cannot think of any myself for a holding tank (despite having one on each of my boats)

The composting loos will actually have time to compost maybe

• Love 1

On 01/04/2020 at 12:16, Keeping Up said:

We had the opposite problem once when we were moored in a marina. The power kept on tripping out and being re-set while we were away, so the "intelligent" charger kept restarting its cycle which always began with a supposed "Conditioning cycle" at a high voltage. Over a period of time it boiled away most of the acid which damaged the batteries.

On 01/04/2020 at 12:01, Mike Todd said:

Happened to us when we left boat in a (new) marina for a couple of weeks. On return found that there had been a power failure and shore line had tripped out leaving the batteries depleted. They had to be replaced a couple of months later.

So we have to leave the boat to its own devices for some considerable time :( and we're plugged in. Our marina said that they would keep an eye on things but we're still a little concerned about this power thing. i know folk have said things should be ok but we would appreciate any further electrickery and/or battery tips please. We have a Victron Multiplus 3000 on charger only. Thanks in advance and please watch out.

16 hours ago, jeanb said:

So we have to leave the boat to its own devices for some considerable time :( and we're plugged in. Our marina said that they would keep an eye on things but we're still a little concerned about this power thing. i know folk have said things should be ok but we would appreciate any further electrickery and/or battery tips please. We have a Victron Multiplus 3000 on charger only. Thanks in advance and please watch out.

You shouldn't have any electrical problems with that combi, provided your boat is fitted with a GI or isolation transformer.

The charger periodically raises the voltage to provide an equalisation charge which keeps the batteries in good condition (assuming they were in good condition before).

I have the same combi and my boat spends most of the winter plugged into.power on my end of garden mooring over the winter. No problems experienced in 6 years to date.