Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mike the Boilerman

Government to repatriate up to 1m British nationals

Featured Posts

They will probably send them home in a taxi and ask them to self isolate. 😣

• Greenie 1

Personally I think all these foolish people should be asked to contribute to the huge costs of the repatriation. As mentioned above, they all seemed to ignore the obvious and carry on holidaying instead of attempting to get home ASAP.

19 minutes ago, CV32 said:

Personally I think all these foolish people should be asked to contribute to the huge costs of the repatriation. As mentioned above, they all seemed to ignore the obvious and carry on holidaying instead of attempting to get home ASAP.

I understand that Raab said that they would book and pay for their flights via some centralised organisation.

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The UK government plans to repatriate up to 1m British nationals still abroad, according to the BBC tonight.

I find myself marvelling that SO MANY people chose to go abroad in the first place when all this was developing, or at best chose not to run for home ten days ago when it really started kicking off. Leave 'em where there are is my knee-jerk reaction!

Did April 1st arrive a day early at the BBC? Surely there can't be a million Brits on holiday overseas? Perhaps this includes liveabroads.

We went to Spain on holiday from the 6th to the 14th of February.  At that time, like most people, we had never heard of this bug, though I suppose it must have been breaking out by then. 

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I understand that Raab said that they would book and pay for their flights via some centralised organisation.

Glad to hear it although there were reports of 75M being spent getting 300,000 home .... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/how-will-uk-75m-coronavirus-repatriation-rescue-mission-work

32 minutes ago, CV32 said:

Glad to hear it although there were reports of 75M being spent getting 300,000 home .... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/how-will-uk-75m-coronavirus-repatriation-rescue-mission-work

My cynical guess is that this is what it will be the overall cost of the repatriation, much of which will be paid by those repatriated. I could also cynically guess that some consultancy firm somewhere will have had a few millions of it :(

The article you refer to suggests that many people are on their own with this.

18 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

My cynical guess is that this is what it will be the overall cost of the repatriation, much of which will be paid by those repatriated. I could also cynically guess that some consultancy firm somewhere will have had a few millions of it :(

Undoubtably there will be KPMG or similar in there lining their 'consulting' profits whilst stating the bleeding obvious 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CV32 said:

I would have thought many of those will have been overseas for some time, either wintering in the likes of Spain, or British citizens that live abroad.  I doubt there are many that recently set off on holiday.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Oy Richard. Its a bit rich an Estate agent moaning about anyone at all making money dont you think? :D

1 hour ago, CV32 said:

Undoubtably there will be KPMG or similar in there lining their 'consulting' profits whilst stating the bleeding obvious 😉

KPMG in Asia are currently working from home, once current work is completed they are looking to lay everyone off on 50% pay for (probably) 6 months.

51 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would have thought many of those will have been overseas for some time, either wintering in the likes of Spain, or British citizens that live abroad.  I doubt there are many that recently set off on holiday.

My wife heard an interview with an elderly lady in Spain desperate to get home and complaining that she couldnt. My wife was sympathetic in the first instance, right up to the point where it was revealed that the lady was desperate to get home from the property that they owned in Spain.

I can understand someone wanting to get out of Spain, but if you have made it your home for at least a chunk of the year.............

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oy Richard. Its a bit rich an Estate agent moaning about anyone at all making money dont you think? :D

I appreciate you say it in jest.... however:

1) Why? nobody forces anyone to use an estate agent to help sell their property. It's entirely voluntary, and can be done without an agent if anyone is of a mind.

2) I'm not an estate agent.

59 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The over 65's in Spain will be desperate to get back to Pinner.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

The over 65's in Spain will be desperate to get back to Pinner.

They will be a bit upset to find that they have jumped out of the frying pan..........

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

KPMG in Asia are currently working from home, once current work is completed they are looking to lay everyone off on 50% pay for (probably) 6 months.

I suspect half their pay for a day wll be annual income for the locals

Just now, LadyG said:

I suspect half their pay for a day wll be annual income for the locals

The offer is mainly for the local employees - they are in discussions at the moment for the Partners to be given a 6 or 12 month sabbatical on no pay.

They have 100's of 'locals' working for them.

Asians value education and put Western kids to shame, many 100's of KPMG employees are 'locals' and are well qualified.

Yes their salaries  are higher than the 'rural workers' but isn't that the same in every country in the world ?

It is 'interesting' to drive thru the most rural of areas, and see bamboo / reed houses that have no mains electricity or mains water and see that a very high percentage that have satellite TV aerials and everyone is carrying a mobile phone (not a Nokia as only 'poor people' have Nokias.)