BSS Exempt

Izz

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Surely the people to contact would be the relevant navigation authority, rather than the BSS. The BSS are providing a service to the various inland navigation authorities. It is up to each of those which boats need to be inspected and CaRT may be subtly different from the EA, or the Bridgewater for example.

Jen

But surely if a navigation authority requires boats to have a BSS, it is THE BSS that they require, not a BSS with modifications ?

The BSS write the rules and enforce the rules in conjunction with C&RT and the EA (who 'own' the BSS)

C&RT say that the BSS is indicative of the 'standards necessary' so I would suggest that the BSS are the ones to call (although the BSS do say that)

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The decision rests with the navigation authority that will be licensing or registering your boat.

It wouldn't hurt to call either the BSS or the relevant navigation authority (hopefully they are both singing off the same hymn sheet)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But surely if a navigation authority requires boats to have a BSS, it is THE BSS that they require, not a BSS with modifications ?

The BSS write the rules and enforce the rules in conjunction with C&RT and the EA (who 'own' the BSS)

C&RT say that the BSS is indicative of the 'standards necessary' so I would suggest that the BSS are the ones to call (although the BSS do say that)

It wouldn't hurt to call either the BSS or the relevant navigation authority (hopefully they are both singing off the same hymn sheet)

If, and that's a big IF, as we don't know for sure, the OP is talking about CaRT's waters

THEN, for CaRT, some very, very basic boats do not need to have been tested and a BSS exemption can be applied for when buying a licence. These types of boats are outlined on the PDF form and summarised previously. However regarding the OP's question about a 'a tiny bit of basic wiring' - this would I imagine constitute an electrical system and so necessitate a BSS examination report to get a licence for CaRT's waters.

IF the boat is not exempt for CaRT's waters, then the test is the test and all present applicable systems and things like fire prevention & CO detectors are examined.  Some things like number of extinguishers and ventilation area depend on the size of the boat and things like output of gas appliances.  Then you have the required/advised aspect aswell. Not all boats will have all systems, obviously, and like an MOT it only applies as seen on the day, hence why I noted that if I did add any electrical system to my boat I would really need to get it examined again.

Not trying to teach gran to suck eggs, just don't want to be talking at cross purposes when I'm only posting in relation to exemptions for the trust's waterways.

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

May I ask why you ask? It's a most curious boat you must have.

You're not planning to put all the stuff back in once you have the exemption certificate, are you??

I'm just wondering for the sake of a small self-build project that's just an idea at this stage.

A few years ago there was a little pedal powered boat on the southern GU that was BSS exempt, but it had all normal stuff in the cabin that obviously wasn't there when it was inspected or declared compliant.

13 minutes ago, Izz said:

I'm just wondering for the sake of a small self-build project that's just an idea at this stage.

A few years ago there was a little pedal powered boat on the southern GU that was BSS exempt, but it had all normal stuff in the cabin that obviously wasn't there when it was inspected or declared compliant.

In which case it was no longer compliant.

The BSS does say that the boat owner is required to ensure the boat remains compliant and any modifications could require it to be retested.

Do a forum search for invalidating your BSSC

Oh yeah, I know it wasn't compliant.

We've all taken something out of our boat and put it under a tarp on the towpath until the BSS examiner has gone though, haven't we? ? Or borrowed next door's fire extinguishers?

Edited by Izz

45 minutes ago, Izz said:

We've all taken something out of our boat and put it under a tarp on the towpath until the BSS examiner has gone though, haven't we? ? Or borrowed next door's fire extinguishers?

No

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Izz said:

That little trick is an excellent way of invalidating your insurance. 

3 hours ago, Izz said:

Why not just get a BSC? It will last for 4 years and as a proportion of the costs of building, licencing, insuring and running the boat the cost won't really be significant.

4 hours ago, Izz said:

Nope.

18 hours ago, Izz said:

ours was tested "as is" meaning exactly as the boat is used normally.

after 4 years of use and many modifications 3 things were raised by the BSS (2 of which needed correcting before being passed)
1. there was a quantity of oil in our bilge (gearbox blew an O ring a couple of days earlier and cleanup hadn't been finished, bilgepump was unplugged so nothing went overboard)
2. incorrect size terminal on solar to battery connection
3. advisory on ventilation, mesh under mushroom vents partially blocked by cobwebs