Amend CRT COVID-19 poster suggestion

reg

Amendments to CRT COVID-19 Poster suggestion  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should the clause stating "Avoid any stretches with boats moored against the towpath" be dropped?

• YES - Drop clause with no further amendment
    • YES - BUT AMEND "Strictly observe social distancing at all times" to "Strictly observe social distancing including distancing when passing moored boats"
    • N0 - Leave as is with no amendments
    • Other

Featured Posts

I posted this in another thread but thought it might make a worthwhile poll.

I think the problematic area with the CRT Poster is the line which states. 

"Avoid any stretches with boats moored against the towpath" 

This I believe can lead to a potential, even long term, conflict between boaters and everyone else. I think we are no different to anyone else and that the line

"Strictly observe social distancing at all times"

already covers the requirements. 

Maybe a little amendment to something along the lines

"Strictly observe social distancing at all times including distancing when passing moored boats". 

And dropping the line

Could avoid the some of the potential them and us conflicts. 

Thoughts? 

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

......things to do when self isolating number 101....

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to put that up, complete android keyboard failure not the best device for creating a poll. Dug out old linux netbook and had to do a substantial Linux upgrade, almost forgot the question I wanted to ask. Nother day killed

26 minutes ago, reg said:

I posted this in another thread but thought it might make a worthwhile poll.

I think the problematic area with the CRT Poster is the line which states. 

This I believe can lead to a potential, even long term, conflict between boaters and everyone else. I think we are no different to anyone else and that the line

"Strictly observe social distancing at all times"

already covers the requirements. 

Maybe a little amendment to something along the lines

"Strictly observe social distancing at all times including distancing when passing moored boats". 

And dropping the line

Could avoid the some of the potential them and us conflicts. 

Thoughts? 

I'm usually a boater for 6 months of the year and I'm, presumably, "everyone else" for the other 6 months. The existence of the notice (amended or otherwise) would cause me no reason for conflict in either role. Just use a bit of common sense and ignore those who are unable to do the same.

8 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I'm usually a boater for 6 months of the year and I'm, presumably, "everyone else" for the other 6 months. The existence of the notice (amended or otherwise) would cause me no reason for conflict in either role. Just use a bit of common sense and ignore those who are unable to do the same.

Well I've already witnessed someone putting two stakes in the ground and a rope across the towpath with the poster attached. I firmly believe that the poster line I refer to could and already is creating a them and us divide which may have long term implications. 

When people have irrational thoughts then common sense tends to disappear. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, reg said:

Well I've already witnessed someone putting two stakes in the ground and a rope across the towpath with the poster attached. I firmly believe that the poster line I refer to could and already is creating a them and us divide which may have long term implications. 

. . . which is wilfully dangerous, not just to cyclists, even other boaters, especially when light is poor. Definitely not to be given oxygen

20 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

. . . which is wilfully dangerous, not just to cyclists, even other boaters, especially when light is poor. Definitely not to be given oxygen

Which is basically why I started to question the wording on the poster. 

The consensus so far seems to be in favour of dropping the clause. 

Any suggestions on the best way of bringing this to the attention of CRT

Do we have, which I'm sure we do, a best placed person to liaise with CRT

On 31/03/2020 at 15:21, reg said:

It was always a dead cert with the lifting of the requirement to move that some people would take ownership of the towpath.

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It was always a dead cert with the lifting of the requirement to move that some people would take ownership of the towpath.

As they say its their home and their towpath they pay for it and if it wasnt for them it would only be a muddy ditch

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

As they say its their home and their towpath they pay for it and if it wasnt for them it would only be a muddy ditch

Except CCers don't pay for the towpath. It's the home moorers who pay for a bit of the towpath. 

20 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Can we please deal with the vital stuff first, then the important stuff, then prioritise the 1001 other things after that?

Sometimes it's like dealing with a bunch of primary school children who want all the answers instantly.

Absolutely, we need to get all these kids back in school, and layabouts back to work. This extra drain on internet usage, is playing havoc with my gaming speeds.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

True, but that isn't the way some boaters see it.

There are lots of things (and services) that we all pay towards via taxes. licences etc but that does not give us an fettered right to use them. We all pay for the Police but beware if you call them out unnecessarily whenever you feel like it. Paying towards the canal network does not confer any rights, save for those enshrined in any rights of navigation and contractually via a canal licence (for boating, fishing or whatever)

But you comment is as undoubtedly true as it is for any other category of user!

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And the locals they are alienating probably pay more via their council tax, most of the work CRT does on towpaths is externally funded

Exactly! I think all boaters will pay in the future for what a few boaters are doing just now. Very sad. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

Exactly! I think all boaters will pay in the future for what a few boaters are doing just now. Very sad. 

haggis

"Never in the history of boating has so much been lost to so many due to the actions of so few"

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2