Implications of reduced boat movement

Heartland

Featured Posts

The CRT message is very clear, boats not to move unless necessary. It is quite understandable through the current pandemic. Yet with traffic at a minimal, what effect will there be on the canals? There is the positive aspect of reduced bank erosion and the day to day wear and and tear at places such as locks. Yet on the negative side the flow may be reduced leading to possible pollution concerns. Then there is the Anderton Lift, with no use, will there be any mechanical issues, once it is used again?

On a related point, will the CRT use the opportunity, whilst complying with the current rules, to still carry out maintenance ? 

It's a fair point, but surely the lift may be operated without having a boat present, which would come under the heading of essential maintenance for me.

They certainly have been finishing off winter works here in the North West, and all the stoppage notice updates are reminding people not to go boating just because the works are complete.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Much as we love the inland waterways, the secondary effects of the lockdown on the network are not something to worry about at present. Let's deal with Covid-19 first, then decide what to do and in what order. 

Typical hobby boater remark ;)

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

On a related point, will the CRT use the opportunity, whilst complying with the current rules, to still carry out maintenance ? 

No reason why not, I had roadworks start round the corner from me on a very minor road & they are still working today.

So if it's OK for roadworks why not canalworks.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's what you are at the moment

Yep, over a bloody week in a poxy house!! I cant for the life of me see the attraction and how the hell people who own both a house and a boat choose to live in the house beggars belief!!

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

43 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

No reason why not, I had roadworks start round the corner from me on a very minor road & they are still working today.

So if it's OK for roadworks why not canalworks.

That's a good point. On reflection it I did notice a number of separate road repairs being done on my trip to the supermarket, more than usual I think. 

Coincidence? 

It's unlikely that the roads have been this quite for a very long time. 

Eta

A quick Google seems to indicate that some works are being brought forward

https://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/news/asset-management/business-as-usual-for-highways-england-despite-covid-19.html

Edited by reg

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

The CRT message is very clear, boats not to move unless necessary. It is quite understandable through the current pandemic. Yet with traffic at a minimal, what effect will there be on the canals? There is the positive aspect of reduced bank erosion and the day to day wear and and tear at places such as locks. Yet on the negative side the flow may be reduced leading to possible pollution concerns. Then there is the Anderton Lift, with no use, will there be any mechanical issues, once it is used again?

The fuel boat NB Halsall sometimes uses the Anderton lift. Seeing as how the boat is providing an essential service presumably they will still be able to use the lift.

11 hours ago, frygood said:

When Liverpool was shut off a year or two back.We were one of the first boats in when it reopened the weed growth  was terrible.will this happen to most of the system?

Yes, where there is already some weed.  The reduced movement allows the silt to settle and then more light gets in to the lower part of the water, so weed is able to grow.  As it reaches toward the surface there is more light so it grows faster.   Etc.

Floating weed like pennywort, duckweed et al. is not disturbed either and will also get ahead.

Fortunately once (if) boat movements go up to normal the weeds don't get enough light and dire back.

N

17 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Much as we love the inland waterways, the secondary effects of the lockdown on the network are not something to worry about at present. Let's deal with Covid-19 first, then decide what to do and in what order. 

Really...……….?

Life has to go on - surely this is a perfect time to get on top of a number of the UK's infrastructure issues 

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep, over a bloody week in a poxy house!! I cant for the life of me see the attraction and how the hell people who own both a house and a boat choose to live in the house beggars belief!!

We do and I agree but SWMBO who is a passionate 30yrs+ boater likes her comforts over the winter months now she's getting on a bit (did I really say that!)

Today is our normal lets get going date and has been for as long as I can remember - so feeling pretty pi**ed off

The enforced stoppage gives us a chance to rectify those little jobs that cruising distracts us from doing. During the next couple of weeks I should finish repainting, taking advantage of the lovely cruising weather.

No midges or dandelion seeds!

43 minutes ago, Halsey said:

We do and I agree but SWMBO who is a passionate 30yrs+ boater likes her comforts over the winter months now she's getting on a bit (did I really say that!)

Today is our normal lets get going date and has been for as long as I can remember - so feeling pretty pi**ed off

Your a braver man than me  :D I bet the missus like mine never looks at this forum? In fact with us two its the missus who even more than I vastly prefers the boat life, she is well hacked off stuck in this place. We owned house for years until we binned the last one as we rarely used it in 2007. We always though lived on the boat which enabled us to buy houses in Cornwall, Looe harbour for days away and holidays. Eventualy we got fed up of going to the house and sold it, that last one was a little inland which we found nicer in the end as it wasnt so manic at holiday time. Because of this present virus we or should I say, I started to let my brain drift towards land a gain and in fact viewed a property a couple of days before the lockdown. It took us both about ten minutes to decide we are sticking with the boat. I think if we get too ill to live aboard we will rent which will enable us to move every six months rather than being stuck in one place :cheers:

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Really...……….?

Life has to go on - surely this is a perfect time to get on top of a number of the UK's infrastructure issues 

Bring back the 1930's Keynesian measures, post-Covid, and have press gangs re-building the system - especially completing some of the more feasible restorations.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

The enforced stoppage gives us a chance to rectify those little jobs that cruising distracts us from doing. During the next couple of weeks I should finish repainting, taking advantage of the lovely cruising weather.

No midges or dandelion seeds!

You can if you can actually visit your boat, when its over I am wondering if I will be scrapping £600 of batteries, Maybe time to think Lithium 

1 hour ago, Detling said:

You will probably see fatter cormorants and heron, they can see the fish better with clear water.

But down here I have seen signs that the gulls are making their way into the towns as the seaside places are empty of visitors dropping their Cornish pasty crusts! (They do well out of swooping onto unwary eaters who hold their pasty too far away from their mouth!)

21 hours ago, frygood said:

When Liverpool was shut off a year or two back.We were one of the first boats in when it reopened the weed growth  was terrible.will this happen to most of the system?

We did Tardebigge pretty soon after it re-opened after being closed for something like 18 months. It was not fun!

Feasible restorations seem an interesting concept, as long as everybody of 2 yards apart no doubt! 

It would be nice to think that when Covid 19, 20, 21, 22 etc is over, the canal from Brownhills to Huddlesford is up and running. But then this is April 3rd, not April 1st Hey Ho!

On 31/03/2020 at 15:40, Machpoint005 said:

I think the point is that we, as individuals can do little other than following guidekines, essentially, lockdown for many households, so it's nice to look forward.