Hour meter yes! Tachometer why?

jenevers

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

The OP did say "canal boat" - whilst that is somewhat broader than "narrow boat" (pardon the pun) I struggle think of a typical UK canal boat that has more than one propellor.

I don't doubt some such penetrate the canal system (although not very far) but I'd suggest they're not "canal boats"

Not typical, certainly, but there are canal narrow boats with multiple propellers, (and indeed multiple engines).

This is one that has been discussed on the forum in the past....

4654539706_f259c88c7c_z.jpg&key=65cab5b4

The other thing that having a tachometer on my boat was useful for was identifying that the engine was overpropped and couldn't reach anywhere near the engine's maximum rpm in in gear in deep water. I had the prop repitched and that resulted in a lot more power.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

13 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I just like having a tacho. Probably more useful than having a water can on the roof and slightly more interesting to watch?

Yes, what's the point of those watering cans or vintage engines for that matter? In fact what's the point of a boat at all? Nobody actually needs one but they keep us off the streets.