Coronavirus Cuisine, Hints and Tips

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

With some usual foods becoming increasingly difficult to get hold of for some people I thought it might be a good idea for people to share any hints and tips and any recipes they might have which might help others.

To start I will add the humble pork hock. Any butchers will have loads of these and they are cheap. Our butcher charges £1.99 for huge hocks.

They need slow roasting or they are tough. We put ours in for 15 minutes as high as the oven will go to crisp the skin and then slow roast at 140 degrees for 3 hours with a final 15 minutes blast of high heat.

One hock was enough for two big portions with Sunday lunch and a bit for Sydney plus there is enough left to make a chilli tonight.

The meat is very tender and very tasty.

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

With some usual foods becoming increasingly difficult to get hold of for some people I thought it might be a good idea for people to share any hints and tips and any recipes they might have which might help others.

To start I will add the humble pork hock. Any butchers will have loads of these and they are cheap. Our butcher charges £1.99 for huge hocks.

They need slow roasting or they are tough. We put ours in for 15 minutes as high as the oven will go to crisp the skin and then slow roast at 140 degrees for 3 hours with a final 15 minutes blast of high heat.

One hock was enough for two big portions with Sunday lunch and a bit for Sydney plus there is enough left to make a chilli tonight.

The meat is very tender and very tasty.

They are fab and if you are unlucky enough to only use supermarkets, Morrisons sell them at £2,50. Did one yesterday. Fab in the slow cooker for about 5/6 hours or more if you wish. Pre heat slow cooker, put hock in and pour about quarter inch of boiling water in and place lid and forget.

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We do a slow cooked cider gammon which is nice. I assume you could put cider in with a hock and get a similar taste.

Never tried it though so dont quote me on it.

Would hock work deboned and stuffed with your favourite stuffing? 

hmmm I like that idea

Can I write about my shopping online experience here... it might help.

Tesco (been with Tesco online for over 16 years) 

Tesco do what they call a 'Delivery Saver' scheme, which means you get priority on delivery booking times, and delivery isn't charged – BUT to get this you've to pay a monthly sum of around £6.99, you can pay more or you can pay less, but £6.99 is the most popular apparently. I've not joined the 'Delivery Saver' scheme as it's not been economical for me seeing I just have one big shop a month, which includes all the heavy stuff. For fresh food I would normally pop to the shops until the next delivery (what a luxury that seems now).

I've managed to get a delivery slot for this Thursday (booked 3 weeks ago). Since my last delivery with Tesco (3rd March) a lot has changed.

I can now only order 3 of one item, and only a total of 80 items per delivery. To get round this I figured I can get 3 of one brand of butter, and 3 of another brand. I'm also ordering the biggest packages I can (750 teabags ? )

It's not about economy anymore, but about quantity – I don't when, or if, I can get another delivery.

The system won't let me book another delivery slot, probably because I've still got an 'open' order. Once my order is delivered, I'm hoping to be able to book another slot.

Morrisons Online

I thought it might be a good idea to 'hedge my luck' with other supermarkets. I tried to register for online shopping with Morrisons, only to discover my email was already in their system. Scratching my head, I must have registered few years ago... but I'm pretty sure I didn't get a delivery.

Anyway, I logged onto their site, only to find after putting in the postcode where were moored, there's no delivery slot. This might be because there's no Morrisons nearby.

I'll keep an eye to see if any slots appear just in case.

Asda Online

This afternoon I attempted to register for online deliveries, but it appears they're not taking any new registrations at this point.

Presently I'm scouring the internet to see if there's a green grocer, or a butcher that will deliver.

Here's the last email I got from Tesco...

As you know, we’re currently experiencing a very high demand for our delivery and Click+Collect slots. We’re doing everything we can to increase the number of customers we can safely deliver to.

That’s why we’ll be making some changes:

From today, we’ll be capping the number of items you can add to your online basket to 80. This means that if you make a change to an existing tesco.com order* or place a new order, you’ll only be able to order a maximum of 80 items. To help give everyone access to the essentials, every product will still be limited to a maximum of 3 per customer**.

• To help keep everyone safe, you’ll start to see all of your orders arriving bagged. This will also limit the amount of time customers and drivers need to spend on the doorstep.

We’re at full capacity for the next few weeks and we ask those who are able to safely come to stores to do so, instead of shopping online. This will help us to free up more slots for the more vulnerable.

If you have any other questions about shopping online, please visit our FAQ page.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Zoe Evans
UK Customer Engagement Centre

Still there's a sort of silvery lining, I've not spent so little money in a month for years! 

Just to add to my ' online foraging' for Food

Sainsburys

Not accepting new registrations

Iceland

Iceland looks like it could be a winner. They have let me register. There are no delivery slots available (only shows slots for a week), BUT if you check the box which asks if you're over pensionable age (no doubt they'll check) you'll be able to get a next day delivery, providing you spend over £35. I might well try this in a week or so. Iceland looks like they're really trying to serve those who're unable to venture out. Only drawback is they don't sell alcohol ?. Hey they do have eggs ?

• Greenie 1

You're very lucky. I have been trying to get either delivered or "click and collect" orders from Tesco for a few days now, and their web site consistently shows "no slots" for the next THREE WEEKS. A couple of days ago, a member here reported that click and collect slots suddenly appeared for dates quite soon afterwards, but I haven't yet seen any. Is this a new form of "panic buying", people booking slots every day for weeks in advance?

We have, incidentally, had a home delivery from Tesco, in January I think, so we are already in their computer system. I don't think they offer any age-related priority.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

You're very lucky. I have been trying to get either delivered or "click and collect" orders from Tesco for a few days now, and their web site consistently shows "no slots" for the next THREE WEEKS. A couple of days ago, a member here reported that click and collect slots suddenly appeared for dates quite soon afterwards, but I haven't yet seen any. Is this a new form of "panic buying", people booking slots every day for weeks in advance?

We have, incidentally, had a home delivery from Tesco, in January I think, so we are already in their computer system. I don't think they offer any age-related priority.

Just seen this today

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/tesco-boosts-delivery-and-collect-slots-by-100000-amid-coronavirus-crisis/ar-BB11Xnfx?li=AA54rU

Tesco has boosted the number of online delivery and click and collect slots by more than 100,000 as the supermarket scrambles to meet an “unprecedented” surge in demand during the coronavirus crisis.

The grocer announced this morning that it has increased capacity from 660,000 two weeks ago to 780,000 this week, with plans to add a further 100,000 slots in the coming weeks.

Tesco has hired an additional 200 vans, 2,500 drivers and 5,000 stock pickers following a recruitment drive to cope with the spike in demand due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

Despite the increase in capacity, the supermarket continued to urge customers to shop in store if they are able to, in order to save the delivery slots for elderly and vulnerable customers.  

Tesco said it will prioritise orders from a list of 400,000 particularly vulnerable people specified by the government. 

Some stores with an online delivery operation will open later than usual, starting from 8am. 

“We’re doing everything we can to increase the number of slots available and to support vulnerable people. 

“Through a series of measures including more drivers, pickers and vans, we’ll expand the number of slots available each week; but this still isn’t enough to meet the demand. 

“For this reason it is vital that customers who can come into stores and shop for themselves do so – so we can free up as many slots as possible for vulnerable people.

“We will support a significant proportion of the people identified by the government as particularly vulnerable and without a support network; but we are also focused on helping as many other people as possible who may not be able to come into stores to do their shopping. “

I booked the slot the day after my last delivery which was 3rd March I think. 

Feel a bit guilty now about my previous delivery. Our last order was on the Coventry by the CRT yard at Hartshill. We'd moored just after the bridge (Atherstone side), with the plan to pull the boat back onto the wharf by the yard, Tesco pulling into the car park there. The day before the delivery date John was rushed into hospital. I thought about cancelling the order, but then I though as every Tesco driver we'd had over the years had been so obliging, I thought they wouldn't mind if they wheeled the shopping literally 3 boat lengths further so I didn't have to move the boat. We were having gales at the time, and there's no way I was going to move the boat myself. The delivery driver arrived, and he wasn't the sort of obliging delivery driver we were used to. He said I was asking for too much service! I'm afraid the balloon went up... With everything I'm afraid I'd had enough ?. I complained to his boss on their phone, who then spoke to the driver for about 5 minutes, he was arguing that about 100ft was too much. While he was arguing he could have delivered the goods three times over. Anyway, the upshot was that I got £50 knocked off my bill. I've got my fingers crossed the same driver doesn't return - I don't think it would be good for John's problem ?

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I suddenly found that Tesco released some days one day last week. However theres been nowt since. Plus points as far as I can see is though that the queues outside sloopermarkets are much less nowadays and the local coop is quiet and the butcher has all meat and eggs. 

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I complained to his boss on their phone,  ?

how did you get through, I've never ever managed to get hold of anyone at a supermarket without going through at least 6 other people and hanging on for ever?

A word of warning to eaters of proper food!! We had no rice in the house so swmbo gave me pasta with my curry. We have plenty of pasta as only swmbo will eat it usualy. Anyway I weakened and had it with my curry. swmbo makes a wicked curry but it is fair to say that pasta is still well up there with other inedible food such as marmite and peanut butter!! YUK.

• Haha 1

As an "extremely vulnerable" person, I've been trying to get through to Sainsbury's for ten days now.  I've done what they said;  had the letter from NHS, registered on the gov.uk site, rung their special number for extremely vulnerable people.

Usually I get so far then have a cheerful voice telling me they are very busy and call again later.  This when it has taken me half an hour just to get a ring rather than engaged.  I have entered my Nectar card number and DOB on their special number and they tell me they are working with the Government and will text me when I've been linked.  I did once go through to a ringing, but it wasn't answered for an hour when the pone cut the call.

If I go on their website I'm told they are very sorry, but they haven't been able to determine that I am vulnerable.

What I find really insulting is the way they keep telling me to use the website to book my delivery slot.

I've been a long-standing customer of Sainsbury's and very disappointed that they can't be bothered to employ more people to answer their phones.

Pasta is just a "vehicle" to carry and absorb the flavour of the sauce/ragu that it's mated with.For best results add pasta to the dish ,slightly undercooked and allow to finish,2 of 3 minutes should be enough.Fresh pasta is always better,making your own is simple.

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Should have had it with chips instead!

Never been a great fan of chips with curry but it has to be better than pasta and curry.

She allowed me chips the other day, I wasnt allowed them again ?

55 minutes ago, dor said:

As an "extremely vulnerable" person, I've been trying to get through to Sainsbury's for ten days now.  I've done what they said;  had the letter from NHS, registered on the gov.uk site, rung their special number for extremely vulnerable people.

Usually I get so far then have a cheerful voice telling me they are very busy and call again later.  This when it has taken me half an hour just to get a ring rather than engaged.  I have entered my Nectar card number and DOB on their special number and they tell me they are working with the Government and will text me when I've been linked.  I did once go through to a ringing, but it wasn't answered for an hour when the pone cut the call.

If I go on their website I'm told they are very sorry, but they haven't been able to determine that I am vulnerable.

What I find really insulting is the way they keep telling me to use the website to book my delivery slot.

I've been a long-standing customer of Sainsbury's and very disappointed that they can't be bothered to employ more people to answer their phones.

Perhaps these people are at home also isolating?

On 03/04/2020 at 12:06, Onewheeler said:

If anyone can't buy yeast, this might be a solution...

Bread recipe

Warning: some might find it gross.

You're not wrong!!!!!???,anyway when we get back to normal,buy some chickpea flour mix with water to make a thin batter,season with herb of choice,drop into a hot,flat frying pan with the merest hint of sesame oil,delicious flatbread, lightly browned on both sides.Four tablespoons of flour should make four to six depending on thickness!

On 01/04/2020 at 10:29, dor said:

Have you got some provisions now Dor?

Sainsbury's are a rip off. Rip off prices for nothing special at all, similar to Waitrose. They had big signs up in our Sainsbury'sy stating ''Great Prices'' I said to a store assistant in there pointing up at it, ''Yes they are GREAT prices''. Like some other supermarkets they need to bin the stupid nector, blubcard nonsense which holds everthing up at the tills, and must cost a fortune to administer, they could then reduce all the prices to somewhere similar to Aldi and Lidle prices, who serve about  3 or 4 customers to every one in the likes of Sainsbury's. They are definitely panicking because of the likes of Aldi and Lidle though, I've noticed them trying to compete with Aldi and Lidle with a few ranges of cheap items, but they really are crap cheap items.

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Have you got some provisions now Dor?

Yes thanks.

My neighbour picked up some stuff for me and I have finally got a slot with Sainsbury, after trying for twelve days.

• Greenie 1

The butcher dropped us off a lovely homemade meat and potato pie with our order this week to say thank you for our custom. We decided to have that today, not very traditional I know but we are having the lamb roast tomorrow instead.

I decided to make a vegetable bake in cheese sauce to go with it and thought I would prep it now to make it easier tonight.

Foolishly I tried to rush the cheese sauce and made a right hash of it. Ordinarily it would have gone in the bin and started again, but given the current situation I decided to persevere with it and do what I could with it to not waste the ingredients. 

It took some sorting out but eventually after some blending with the handheld blender it is smooth enough to pass as cheese sauce!