Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mrsmelly

COVID>>>THE PLUS POINTS

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not in this case. I think most of us understand the problems we are facing. With me she loses all credibility once she engages with the Do as I say not as I do attitude. She does fly although less of late due to the bad press so to me she has zero credibility and is a hypocrite.

It’s the same as the Extinction Rebellion lot....quite happy to fly round the world for an Instagram post and cause gridlock in a city meaning others create more pollution trying to go round the idiots....yet then complain about a diesel car....failing to realise that the total life pollution is massive for EV. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, frangar said:

It’s the same as the Extinction Rebellion lot....quite happy to fly round the world for an Instagram post and cause gridlock in a city meaning others create more pollution trying to go round the idiots....yet then complain about a diesel car....failing to realise that the total life pollution is massive for EV. 

Yeah but we are just middle aged grumpy white men arnt we so we have no understanding of anything innitt.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Apart from the diesel car I agree, to many new studies have shown that EVs are massively cleaner than diesel, especially in countries like ours where we produce lots of green electric. Big oil is struggling and will use its trillions to keep us using oil! if it fails they fail, so they lie to convince us because their cosy rich lives depend on it

50 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

One benefit is that for the first time in ages the air in London is actually clean. It's like smelling a new smell.  have noticed that with reduced human activity animals have very quickly become more bold. (unfortunately that's parakeets round here). 

The dramatic reduction in cars has led immediate to the streets being colonised by people on foot and bicycles - all observing distancing and frankly it's a good change. 

The planes that used to grind overhead every few minutes have gone. Frankly I hope they never come back, and they won't unless the government decides to spend your money on them. 

Local crime has taken an inititial massive hit. I don't expect that to last though. With schools out I think the local teenagers are going to be into burglary very shortly - and the demand for drugs won't have stopped. 

Right now we are in a place where sentimental clapping for NHS is the big deal. By people who voted for a government that stopped pay rises for nurses - there's a lot of sentimental shite going on at the moment. The last time MPS clapped for the NHS was actually when they voted down the pay bill FFS. There are many who should take a long hard look at themselves I think. 

Right now though, there's a collapse of mental health care, in the community and there's a tsunami of mental health problems just breaking. I expect almost every person posting on this site knows someone mentally ill, and right now that persons support has evaporated. Reach out to them. 

I stood outside Harrods last week on the A4 at 09.50am and there was no traffic. Harrods was closed too. It was so strange I stopped in the road centre and took a photo of the empty road.

London is in a bowl. The trick is to live above the smog line!

The London Rd we live in you can see right across the City on clear days. I can see the Shard at night and its 12 odd miles away.

Edited by mark99

30 minutes ago, frangar said:

Isn’t your post both ageist & sexist?? 

Theoretically yes. But in practice 'equality' means that it's OK to be ageist, as long as the recipient of the discrimination is male. Equally, this was mentioned earlier, it's OK to discriminate on the basis of race, but only against people with white skin. Pointing this out usually result in a burbled reply centring on the slave trade, the goodness of the Suffragettes and references to how young people can't afford to buy the houses they are entitled to, along with regular trips to expensive restaurants, brand new cars, around the world trips on 'gap years' etc. etc.    

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

One video is hardly proof of anything but assuming it does, it still doesn't devalue her passion and her message 

There are plenty more 

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah but we are just middle aged grumpy white men arnt we so we have no understanding of anything innitt.

Yes we are!

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There are plenty more 

Well I can't understand the question as an adult without listening to it five times over, so I'm not surprised Great was bemused by it in a live studio. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I can't understand the question as an adult without listening to it five times over, so I'm not surprised Great was bemused by it in a live studio. 

Try this one it's a simple question. You should understand this one.

I don't suppose Joan of Arc was a master military strategist but she motivated a nation to rebel against the status quo.

Perhaps anyone who gets picky about Thurnberg's knowledge, appearance and manner should show her how to do it better - if they believe in the message that is.   If they don't believe in the message then come clean and say so.

• Greenie 4

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I don't suppose Joan of Arc was a master military strategist but she motivated a nation to rebel against the status quo.

Perhaps anyone who gets picky about Thurnberg's knowledge, appearance and manner should show her how to do it better - if they believe in the message that is.   If they don't believe in the message then come clean and say so.

Well I don’t believe all she says!! How’s that for you?? 

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well I don’t believe all she says!! How’s that for you?? 

Neither do I.

3 hours ago, bagginz said:

What the same "middle aged white englishmen" that created the politically stable, prosperous nation that allows you the opportunity to virtue signal/self flagellate from ?  :)

Aside from that, how is your statement not  1. ageist  (middle aged) 2. racist (white)  2. sexist (men)?

Or have you bought into the "intersectionality" nonsense where only white people can be racist because reasons? 

The first, but small, wave of immigrants into NZ came from the Pacific in about the 14th C before two way voyaging was possible, so they lost their family links back to the islands.

The second wave was much larger, and predominantly from the British Isles, so yes we did inherit much ,of those marvellous governance, and justice institutions that the Brits, had developed so well. But importantly most of them came to escape a society, where entitled Englishmen claimed most of the spoils. Scots and Irish and Northerners were overly represented in immigration into NZ. They bought with them  a very healthy disrespect for authority when it was perceived that authority was being used just to maintain privilege. The outrage of the privileged white men here to granting women the vote here decades before the UK, was overcome by the stroppy highly motivated independent women and their male supporters.

Successive waves of immigration, from displaced Europeans after the wars there, and from the Pacific Islands to fill labour shortages during the boom times after the war have changed our society. This is ongoing with new waves of immigration from Asia all contributing to our diversity. 

There are those here that mourn the times when those of UK decendency dominated all aspects of NZ life. Many white immigrants from the UK, and Southern Africa express dismay that we are departing from our roots. I celebrate our new diversity and independence, and the food has become immeasurably better.

So yes white middle aged Englishmen is a defined demographic. A demographic that in my view contains an inate, and unshakable view of their own superiority over other mortals, and this is a significant factor in the overall world decline in British influence post WW2.

50 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Clearly I do fall into the grumpy middle aged man category!

No, still a chav even though you have moved from a sink estate

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

She has a really annoying face made more so due to her constant appearance on TV, social media in fact any media. You can not get away from it.

Yes I am concerned for her well being as I have two nephews who have autism and they would be highly uncomfortable in the positions she is constantly pushed in too by her family. It is not healthy.

I may not like her but I would not wish any harm to come to her. Much less publicity yes, harm no.

Just like Boris on his podium.   Although he has dodged all questions now 

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

The Town Wall Tavern

Wow that was my regular in the 70s

1 hour ago, DandV said:

So yes white middle aged Englishmen is a defined demographic. A demographic that in my view contains an inate, and unshakable view of their own superiority over other mortals

In other words, yes.  You're quite comfortable being ageist and racist.

Well at least you are open about your bigotry in public.

1 hour ago, DandV said:

privileged white men

Ah, I suspected you were an oikaphobe  

https://conservativewoman.co.uk/oikophobia-the-bbcs-extended-sneer-against-western-civilisation/

3 hours ago, bagginz said:

In other words, yes.  You're quite comfortable being ageist and racist.

Well at least you are open about your bigotry in public.

Ah, I suspected you were an oikaphobe  

https://conservativewoman.co.uk/oikophobia-the-bbcs-extended-sneer-against-western-civilisation/

Quote 1/ I am very comfortable with my personal observations of the English psyche, but I think labelling me a bigot says more about you then me.

But certainly I am not free of some prejudices.

"Privileged white men"

In the context of our history the arrival of large contingents of British settlers backed by military and equipped with modern armaments undoubtedly placed those white men in an extraordinary privileged position. A position they exploited fully and it is only comparitively recently with the advent of more organised, and more assertive, stroppyness, that the significant  under privilege of our Maori and Pacifica peoples has started to be addressed meaningfully.

I am not one that believes in flagellating ourselves for our forebears "wrongs" achieves anything. Our actions need to be focused on now and the future.

There is wide acceptance here that significant wrongs did occur, and injustices occurred. That is why successive Governments have established and heavily support the Waitangi Tribunal process, with reconciliation and compensation. There is a lot more to it then that, it needs to reach across our entire society.

When privileged white men,  have attempted to place a firm cut off date for this process they have been savaged by New Zealand voters. Don Brash lost the election for our conservative National Party on just this issue.

It was also a white man attempting to assert just white privilege, that caused so much grief here just a year ago, but such is the nature of our society now, that it promoted a massive acceptance of the Muslim community as an integral part of our society.

Quote 2

I am sorry if you think I am sneering.

I find it interesting that so many defend their position on the basis of past glories and let's face it Britain has had more then it's fair share of them, but perhaps as result of this has become overly resistant to change instead resorting to just  defending those institutions, and social structures against changes instead of enabling the changes required to at least keep up.

The decline of the religious influence of "The Church of England"  even the name is chosen to reflect English domination. But it's worldwide decline in "market share" in the already declining market of Christian observance, is an example of a focus on preserving traditions instead of ministering to the people. But I am very grateful of their continuing custodianship of so many beautiful buildings, even if in my belief, is that they are much more monuments to privileged Englishmen, then any to any God.

This virus has imposed the need for rapid change upon all of us like never before in our life times.

The nimble, and decisive  will increase their influence. At this time the Western behomouths are not looking good at all.

It will be fascinating how it pans out,  the comparative strategies of differing governments and philosophies. I am just  shit scared about my involuntary  inclusion  "in the study group"

But far more important then the fact that we have different views.

Your photographs are outstanding. You have a great eye for those things of beauty and the skills to capture them.

Keep up searching for that beauty and capturing it in your own style. 

And please keep sharing them. Thanks.

Edited by DandV

One plus point of no boat movements is that hopefully the vlogs from boating “experts” might stop clogging up the canal farcebook groups....or will they still post that they haven’t moved and how well they are still tied up...or not 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Pretty sure the gremlin isn't a climate scientist either. She is just a sock puppet with a really annoying face.

Classic shooting the messenger and ignoring the message.

• Greenie 3

15 hours ago, Tigerr said:

< snip >

The planes that used to grind overhead every few minutes have gone. Frankly I hope they never come back, and they won't unless the government decides to spend your money on them. 

< snip >

Quite.

If Virgin Airlines goes bust I, for one, ain't goint to weep for them.

Like wise if stag parties can't fly to the Czech Republic for the weekend for shirt button fares.

• Greenie 2