Beta 43 Impeller Kit

Featured Posts

Hi All, I've serviced my Beta 43 recently, changing all the usual, but this passed me by - the impellar….. is this something I really need to do or is it optional?  What are the ramifications of not doing this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beta-43-Impeller-Kit-207-09041/223034770113?hash=item33ede882c1:g:tfkAAOSw93xdkbVU

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All, I've serviced my Beta 43 recently, changing all the usual, but this passed me by - the impellar….. is this something I really need to do or is it optional?  What are the ramifications of not doing this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beta-43-Impeller-Kit-207-09041/223034770113?hash=item33ede882c1:g:tfkAAOSw93xdkbVU

Ideally impellors should be removed when not in use ie winter, smeared with vaseline and stored indoors. They last a long time then.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

thanks, are they easy to remove?

Not always,gentle persuasion with a screwdriver as a lever,or if you have enough room a pair of pliers to pull the old one out.On fitting the new one you may find it easier to use the pump cover to push the impeller home as you screw it back on.I used glycerine as a lubricant.?

Yes, you need to at least inspect it, take off the cover plate, have a look at it and if there is any sign of damage remove it (sometimes tricky) and replace it. The little flappy things break up after a while and they will be found by taking the end cover off the heat exchangers, not a big deal but why make more work (incidentally I remove the end cover from the big heat exchanger every so often to check for fine sludgy weedy stuff anyway)  Eventually the impeller will not pump properly so a spare is a really good idea, There are loads of impellers that look the same so make sure you get the right one, Beta will know which one. My engine is cooled from canal water not skin tank so it might be a bit different.

1 minute ago, Ian F B said:

Not always,gentle persuasion with a screwdriver as a lever,or if you have enough room a pair of pliers to pull the old one out.On fitting the new one you may find it easier to use the pump cover to push the impeller home as you screw it back on.I used glycerine as a lubricant.?

A smooth teaspoon handle is better than a screw driver, won't dig into it.

36 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks, are they easy to remove?

Take a photo with the cover off and before you remove the impellor.

Note the 'vanes' (flappy bits) are 'bent' over, you MUST ensure that when you reassemble the impellor that you have the vanes bent in the correct direction.

The reason that the impellor should be removed and put into storage if the engine is not to be run for some time is that the 'knobs' on the end of the vanes dry out and 'weld' themselves to the housing, when you start the engine and rev up, the impellor will rotate and rip off the knobs, these bits then work their way around your cooling system and block it. The vanes without their knobs will no longer pump sufficient water and your engine will overheat with the potential problems that entails.

It is much easier to replace then during your annual service.

Water pump impeller replacement

Edited by Alan de Enfield

not at the boat - and no idea when i might get back..... just think ahead.... i dont recall seeing the pump cover so maybe its on the side with the drive belts....

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

What colour Beta - green ones as used in most canal boats will not have such a pump and impeller.

aha that might explain it - yes its a canal boat green one .... so i dont have one?

47 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you learned something it was far from a waste of time. I am surprised no one thought about you not having one earlier in the topic. I think Brian had it in mind so I just clarified his post.

Thats what I was gently suggesting in post #8.

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

Yes, So much better than doing it on a towpath or river bank where you can't tie up properly.

When we brought the "Cat" back from Croatia we changed the impellor on one engine whilst running on the other , then changed the other one.

"Servicing (impellor, filters & oil) whilst bouncing along on lumpy water" is not the easiest.

No time to stop - 3050 miles in 28 days.