RCR Renewal

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

RCR provide an excellent service and we can't afford for them (and other useful businesses) to disappear or suffer because of the present crisis. The government is spending our money hand over fist on a whole range of things - some clearly wasteful though the most absolutely essential - so we will all be paying in the long run. Where we have the ability to direct our expenditure we should do so thoughtfully.

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

How much do you pay for you insurance?

My last renewal was about £220 if I recall correctly. They, GJW, started offering free RCR about three years ago. It didn’t affect the premium. It is only the basic level of RCR cover but I was paying about £120 a year for bronze membership. I had been paying RCR for about 5 years and never had to call them out. So far I have saved about £360 so that will go quite a way towards any repair bills should they be needed. I figure that at least with basic membership I have a point of contact should I have a breakdown. 

4 hours ago, KJT said:

My last renewal was about £220 if I recall correctly. They, GJW, started offering free RCR about three years ago. It didn’t affect the premium. It is only the basic level of RCR cover but I was paying about £120 a year for bronze membership. I had been paying RCR for about 5 years and never had to call them out. So far I have saved about £360 so that will go quite a way towards any repair bills should they be needed. I figure that at least with basic membership I have a point of contact should I have a breakdown. 

Thanks.I see that the retainer RCR is currently £65, so I think you are basically paying for that in the insurance cost, but it’s not a bad way of doing it.  I currently have Silver, which I probably don’t really need, that and the insurance come out at about £300 with the RCR discount.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Having seen the standard of work that RCR have carried out on other boats I think I’d be putting the money in a repair fund!...

Nice photo of them tightening an engine mount down with an adjustable spanner in one of the mags this week, If I had have been caught using an adjustable I would have got a right ear chewing and I was a sparky not a mechanic

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find it staggering that they exist at all. 

I can't for the life of me figure out how they make a profit given the number of repairs I hear about them carrying out, some seriously expensive.

Because lots of people pay £300 or £400 and never call them. See post#15

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nice photo of them tightening an engine mount down with an adjustable spanner in one of the mags this week, If I had have been caught using an adjustable I would have got a right ear chewing and I was a sparky not a mechanic

Enormous FO adjustables are always insisted upon in marketing and advertising material when an 'engineer' is depicted doing something, have you not noticed? Non-technical people think they look more 'serious' and expert. 

A good quality adjustable spanner, especially for bigger nuts, are an essential piece of kit. A small wide mouth adjustable is an essential where you don't have room to swing a normal spanner. Makes like Bahco don't come cheap, but you can rely on quality. The only thing that makes me cringe is the sight of adjustable wrenches or mole grips used on nuts.

15 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

A good quality adjustable spanner, especially for bigger nuts, are an essential piece of kit. A small wide mouth adjustable is an essential where you don't have room to swing a normal spanner. Makes like Bahco don't come cheap, but you can rely on quality. The only thing that makes me cringe is the sight of adjustable wrenches or mole grips used on nuts.

Whats wrong with the correct sized spanner

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

I just checked the photo and its an Asda spanner and he is checking the engine mount is tight by screwing the nut down from above

Page 73 of May's Canal Boat

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Horror 1