Insurance during Lockdown.

Traveller

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You could pay a professional like a surveyor or a marine engineer  to go and check the boat for you..... if your marina will let them in .

Like I  said ... you are not alone.

Don't understand where you are coming from. This has nothing to do with employing people - who would probably not be able/be prepared to travel anyway and even if they could the marina is closed. It is about insurance risk in a given situation. Anyway the marina staff are checking boats so that is good.

52 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

My boat insurance makes no stipulation whatsoever about me actually visiting it

House insurance on the other hand... "Not more than 30 days unoccupied..."

It is not about visiting the boat so much as staying on top of maintenance. If, for instance, a boat sinks and the insurer deems it is through lack of maintenance they will not pay out. An extreme event I know but it serves as an illustration.

6 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Anyway the marina staff are checking boats so that is good.

That's a change from your first post .

People are still working - travelling legally  if the work cannot be done from home.

57 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

This was from Insure4boats

We appreciate that these are unprecedented times. With the current situation changing day by day, it’s hard to predict what will happen in the coming weeks. However, rest assured we are doing all we can to stay one step ahead of the situation and keep all our policyholders updated.

Our Customer Service team are here if you have any questions

We have taken steps so that the service our Customer Service team provides will be as unaffected as possible. All our staff are able to work from home to continue to provide the best possible service to our policyholders. However, given the nature of this situation, we are experiencing higher call volumes and may take a little longer than usual to respond to your query.

To save you time waiting on the phone, we have compiled a list of the common questions our Customer Service team is receiving which you can
view here. We’ll keep this blog updated so you can always access the latest information and we’d strongly advise that you check this blog first to see your question is answered, before calling us.

Boat owners urged to be mindful when using their boat

The announcement earlier in the week means we are all very much in uncharted waters. Marine Associations such as the Canal and River Trust are urging boat owners to be considerate and only use their boat if it is essential. This will help to keep vital facilities and services accessible to those that need them. You can read the advice in full here.

In the meantime, I wanted to take this opportunity to assure you that your insurance will remain uninterrupted during this period. You may be concerned that your boat may be left unattended and unused for longer periods of time than it usually would going into spring, but if you have opted to cover your craft then it will remain protected by your insurance policy. After all, I’m sure that in these tough times, any theft, loss or damage to your boat would be an unwelcome financial burden if it wasn’t insured. If you have opted for a Third Party Liability Only policy and wish to now to add Hull and Machinery cover to insure your craft as well, then simply call our customer service team on 0333 400 7087 who will be happy to help.

f you have any other questions about your insurance cover then please do have a look at the list of FAQs we have compiled.

You can refer to your policy documents for details of your cover

If you have any other questions regarding your insurance in general and what you’re covered for, please log in to your online account. From here you’ll be able to access your insurance documentation and check the terms and conditions of your policy. Please note that although these enhancements will not be reflected in the current policy documentation, you can rest assured they will apply should you need them.

If you still have questions and would like to speak to us please keep trying and we’ll speak to you as soon as we can. Call
0333 400 7087 or email us at admin@insure4boats.co.uk (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm). 

Stay safe,

John Woosey
Founder & Managing Director.

What a great communication.

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's a change from your first post .

People are still working - travelling legally  if the work cannot be done from home.

I posted that the marina had confirmed they were checking boats (twice) a few posts back so please spare me the surprise. Things do change as threads develop you know. As I said - kudos to them for picking up the gauntlet. And some businesses are not working  I have had work postponed because of this. My marina is closed anyway.

10 hours ago, Traveller said:

I have emailed my insurance comany about cover during the lockdown and await a response. Just wondered if anyone out there has any info?

My concern is being a leisure boater I am unable to visit my boat as such a journey is not deemed essential travel. Not being able to visit, even briefly, means that I am unable to keep an eye on the boats wellbeing and therefore some claims might well be rejected on the basis the boat is not being maintained. I am moored in a marina but I know marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics. I am insured fully comp.

If I thought the current restrictions would only last a few weeks I would not be so worried but there are some quite startling potential timeframes beginning to emerge.

I been moored at Foxes for nearly 20 years, Much of that as a liveaboard in the week. So do have a clear view what the staff do over the working week, You claim that the marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics. Yet I often pass the time of day in Morning with Alan or Gary when they do their rounds while walking the dogs. They do turn out in the middle of the night when there are problems i.e when there is a sudden rise in water level which requires the stop planks being put in and the pumps started, After which they then check the ropes on the boats moored on the outside bank. 

Just now, nbfiresprite said:

I been moored at Foxes for nearly 20 years, Much of that as a liveaboard in the week. So do have a clear view what the staff do over the working week, You claim that the marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics. Yet I often pass the time of day in Morning with Alan or Gary when they do their rounds while walking the dogs. They do turn out in the middle of the night when there are problems i.e when there is a sudden rise in water level which requires the stop planks being put in and the pumps started, After which they then check the ropes on the boats moored on the outside bank. 

Well if that is the case I unreservedly apologise for a) I can honestly say I have never witnessed it and b) others have said the same. Either way, I was left off an email list and had that was unfortunate oversight. I also never mentioned Fox's name in the original post and only brought them into it when I had the confirmation that they were looking after things. I also have had an association with Fox's that goes back to Charlie's day and have the highest regard for the business. My concern was insurance. Why is a mountain being made of what was a genuine concern in troubled times.

17 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I posted that the marina had confirmed they were checking boats (twice) a few posts back so please spare me the surprise. Things do change as threads develop you know. As I said - kudos to them for picking up the gauntlet. And some businesses are not working  I have had work postponed because of this. My marina is closed anyway.

I missed that - responded to your first post without reading on as it was only hours old.

Does that mean the problem is solved ?

Remember you and thousands of others are in the same position , including me .

Edited by MartynG

Just now, MartynG said:

I missed that - responded to your first post without reading on ans it was only hours old.

Does that mean the problem is solved ?

Remember you and thousands of others are in the same position , including me .

No problem - yes it is solved. I was unaware of what they were doing as I was left off an email list. I purposely refrained  from mentioning the marinas name at the outset. I mentioned them when I heard they were looking after us as that was good press, which they deserve.

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

No problem - yes it is solved. I was unaware of what they were doing as I was left off an email list. I purposely refrained  from mentioning the marinas name at the outset. I mentioned them when I heard they were looking after us as that was good press, which they deserve.

You state in your first post  'Whilst we all call it a marina it is a high level yard really. It is not on the canals either, it is on the Middle Level.'

As there is only one boat yard on the Middle Level, It was quite clear that you were refering to Foxes. Google 'Boat yards Fens or Middle Level' will bring up Fox's Boatyard. We are in the Digital Information Age. Misleading statements or comments can quickly cause a company a great deal of problems. This is a open forum where most information can be accessed by anyone who is not a member.  A person may only read the first comment and take it as fact.     

11 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

You state in your first post  'Whilst we all call it a marina it is a high level yard really. It is not on the canals either, it is on the Middle Level.'

As there is only one boat yard on the Middle Level, It was quite clear that you were refering to Foxes. Google 'Boat yards Fens or Middle Level' will bring up Fox's Boatyard. We are in the Digital Information Age. Misleading statements or comments can quickly cause a company a great deal of problems. This is a open forum where most information can be accessed by anyone who is not a member.  A person may only read the first comment and take it as fact.     

I most certainly did not say that in my first post and there is another marina/yard on the Middle Level. I did say it, as a reason why standards might differ, it in response to a helpful comment from Alan de Enfield . I also said I would email them. Following that I did report that Fox's were indeed monitoring the boats and gave them kudos for it.  That post went out within four hours of the post mentioning Middle Level.

You are making this all sound like an affront to an excellent business when it was no more than an insurance related query. Please stop it.

Edited by Traveller