Insurance during Lockdown.

Traveller

Featured Posts

I have emailed my insurance comany about cover during the lockdown and await a response. Just wondered if anyone out there has any info?

My concern is being a leisure boater I am unable to visit my boat as such a journey is not deemed essential travel. Not being able to visit, even briefly, means that I am unable to keep an eye on the boats wellbeing and therefore some claims might well be rejected on the basis the boat is not being maintained. I am moored in a marina but I know marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics. I am insured fully comp.

If I thought the current restrictions would only last a few weeks I would not be so worried but there are some quite startling potential timeframes beginning to emerge.

34 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I am moored in a marina but I know marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics.

Are you sure ?

That sounds a pretty poor level of service.

Our Marina has 'got to know' each boat and what it normally 'looks like' they do the rounds morning and evening and if anything is abnormal will correct it. During the floods and high winds they have adjusted lines, moved fenders etc to avoid boat damage.

Received this email a few days ago  (this is the sort of service I expect from a Marina)

We have recently received further guidance from the British Marine Federation and The Yacht Harbour Association giving us more clarity on the government’s regulations, specifically in relation to the marine sector.  With this in mind, we are writing to update you on our current steps to ensure we are adhering to the latest government advice to ensure your safety during this time.

Following the government advice for us all to stay at home, avoid all non-essential travel and to practice social distancing we would like to advise customers of the following:

• Please remain in your primary residence and do not use your boat to self-isolate. We ask that you follow government advice and stay at home and avoid all non-essential travel.
  • Our marina receptions and other land-side facilities such as washrooms and laundries are closed to the public and berth holders until further notice.
  • Our office-based staff, wherever possible are working remotely. If you wish to contact the marina office, please do so via telephone or email where our staff are on hand to answer your queries, discuss your berthing renewal options, give you an update on your boat and take payments as normal.
  • Fuel is only available for essential commercial vessels and social distancing must be strictly adhered to while fuelling is taking place.
  • Our marina operatives remain on site carrying out essential work to help your boat remain safe and secure under the current circumstances. They are continuing with daily checks and essential marina maintenance as well as checking lines and fenders. If you have a specific concern you would like checked on your boat, while you remain at home following government advice, please do not hesitate to contact us.
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure ?

That sounds a pretty poor level of service.

Our Marina has 'got to know' each boat and what it normally 'looks like' they do the rounds morning and evening and if anything is abnormal will correct it. During the floods and high winds they have adjusted lines, moved fenders etc to avoid boat damage.

Received this email a few days ago  (this is the sort of service I expect from a Marina)

We have recently received further guidance from the British Marine Federation and The Yacht Harbour Association giving us more clarity on the government’s regulations, specifically in relation to the marine sector.  With this in mind, we are writing to update you on our current steps to ensure we are adhering to the latest government advice to ensure your safety during this time.

Following the government advice for us all to stay at home, avoid all non-essential travel and to practice social distancing we would like to advise customers of the following:

• Please remain in your primary residence and do not use your boat to self-isolate. We ask that you follow government advice and stay at home and avoid all non-essential travel.
  • Our marina receptions and other land-side facilities such as washrooms and laundries are closed to the public and berth holders until further notice.
  • Our office-based staff, wherever possible are working remotely. If you wish to contact the marina office, please do so via telephone or email where our staff are on hand to answer your queries, discuss your berthing renewal options, give you an update on your boat and take payments as normal.
  • Fuel is only available for essential commercial vessels and social distancing must be strictly adhered to while fuelling is taking place.
  • Our marina operatives remain on site carrying out essential work to help your boat remain safe and secure under the current circumstances. They are continuing with daily checks and essential marina maintenance as well as checking lines and fenders. If you have a specific concern you would like checked on your boat, while you remain at home following government advice, please do not hesitate to contact us.

99% sure and certainly no communication at all since lockdown (except bills!). There is apparently something stuck in the office window but I am told that is about general admin - like order coal over the phone and pay by card. The marina itself is not locked down so if I went I could gain access (but obviously I won't go). Whilst we all call it a marina it is a high level yard really. It is not on the canals either, it is on the Middle Level.

But seeing as you have received that I will drop them a line immediately to see what they have in place re looking after berth holders. 

Thanks for the input.

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Our marina has done one step more than the above and banned ALL boaters from their premises for the duration! (seemed daft, until one steps back a bit and understands why...)

A few have done that on the canals but only the non-resident boaters are banned. Those that live there are fine.

55 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I have emailed my insurance comany about cover during the lockdown and await a response. Just wondered if anyone out there has any info?

My concern is being a leisure boater I am unable to visit my boat as such a journey is not deemed essential travel. Not being able to visit, even briefly, means that I am unable to keep an eye on the boats wellbeing and therefore some claims might well be rejected on the basis the boat is not being maintained. I am moored in a marina but I know marina staff do not wander round the moorings to check even the basics. I am insured fully comp.

If I thought the current restrictions would only last a few weeks I would not be so worried but there are some quite startling potential timeframes beginning to emerge.

Despite the good intentions here and putting morals aside for a moment; Surely this is a question not to ask your insurance company. Now if anything happens to the boat, you've already told them inexplicitly or otherwise that you're not keeping an eye on it and they can use that to avoid paying out in the worst case scenario, depending on your policy wording. Of course, the chances are nothing will happen but equally you can never be too sure. 

Edited by RichM

53 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

And if the BSS is a condition of insurance, as ours is with Craftinsure, and it expires during lockdown will they continue to insure the boat.

BSS have an announcement on the web site now see below

it says

COVID-19 News Boat Safety Scheme Examinations Temporary Suspension

Following the most recent announcement from the Prime Minister regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, the joint owners of the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) are allowing a temporary extension to safety certificates for those craft requiring an examination in the period until the 14th April. Any future change will be reviewed in respect of the Governments most up to date advice and we will advise you accordingly. In the meantime, Navigation Authorities and licensing bodies will maintain a record of extensions.

see 

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-and-press-releases/news-releases/

and here

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/298936/NR20-001_COVID-19_BSS_Temporary_Suspension-FINAL.pdf

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

And if the BSS is a condition of insurance, as ours is with Craftinsure, and it expires during lockdown will they continue to insure the boat.

I have raised this a number of times - check check and check again - then see if you can get emailed confirmation that you are covered.

"Not telling them" is about the worst bit of advice I've seen yet - ignorance of the law is not a defense - they will simply say you knew...……...…..

On a more practical level ask why your marina isn't offering a service many I know are - it might have to be paid for course but monthly reviews should be part of any good marinas "housekeeping" it has been everywhere I've ever moored.

Edited by Halsey

16 minutes ago, RichM said:

Despite the good intentions here and putting morals aside for a moment; Surely this is a question not to ask your insurance company. Now if anything happens to the boat, you've already told them inexplicitly or otherwise that you're not keeping an eye on it and they can use that to avoid paying out in the worst case scenario, depending on your policy wording. Of course, the chances are nothing will happen but equally you can never be too sure. 

But surely the insurance company will  know anyway - there are Govt restrictions on movement backed up by the police. They know I will not be travelling and especially so when the boat is getting on for a couple of hours from home.

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

The French lock down on the waterways has just been extended

The boatyard where I took a winter mooring (now extended indefinitely), has emailed to advise that the boatyard is open for liveaboards, but leisure boaters should not visit. The office is closed and staff are not generally on site, but diesel, gas and pump out can be arranged for those who need it, by appointment. Those living on site are asked to keep an eye on the other boats and report any issues. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The boatyard where I took a winter mooring (now extended indefinitely), has emailed to advise that the boatyard is open for liveaboards, but leisure boaters should not visit. The office is closed and staff are not generally on site, but diesel, gas and pump out can be arranged for those who need it, by appointment. Those living on site are asked to keep an eye on the other boats and report any issues. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

Reasonable if the others actually do that. I would prefer the marina to take ownership. After all they take the fee.

• Greenie 1

It may not be reasonable or the most reliable course to expect a marina to keep an enhanced watch on all boats given that they may be short staffed with a set of other problems to address as well.

We keep our barge in a small town in Belgium, and currently there are some eight other UK owned barges there, either wintering or permanently moored, with most owners locked down elsewhere.  Fortunately we have one English neighbour locked down on board but able and willing to keep an eye on the barges. Another owner has had the forethought to set up a Whatsapp group so that all owners can communicate easily and exchange contact details, advise the location of emergency keys etc. where necessary.

It might be that where there are close communities of boats, whether in a marina or on other moorings,  that others could think about setting up similar groups to help each other out if a potential willing “caretaker” is on site to help.

For example in a week or so’s time I might ask my neighbour to kindly go on board my ship and plug in the power for a day, just to top the batteries up, since it will be six weeks since I last attended on board and everything is normally left disconnected (except the pumps!).

Any such group requires the “caretaker” to go out and about a bit, but I think that could be defended as reasonable movement, perhaps indeed essential movement since if a boat sinks there could be significant environmental consequences.

In respect of insurance I would think that any good insurance company will understand the difficulties and react accordingly if there is an incident. That might not be the case for all insurers, but you pays yer money ..……. !   It might not be a bad idea however to email your insurers and notify them of the measures that you have taken to keep your boat safe. I certainly would not stick my head in the sand, particularly if you are in knowledge that your boat could, for example, fill up with rain water!

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

Reasonable if the others actually do that. I would prefer the marina to take ownership. After all they take the fee.

Now heard from Fox's and they are monitoring the boats. Seems I was left off the email circulation that gave this info

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

39 minutes ago, Balliol said:

It may not be reasonable or the most reliable course to expect a marina to keep an enhanced watch on all boats given that they may be short staffed with a set of other problems to address as well.

We keep our barge in a small town in Belgium, and currently there are some eight other UK owned barges there, either wintering or permanently moored, with most owners locked down elsewhere.  Fortunately we have one English neighbour locked down on board but able and willing to keep an eye on the barges. Another owner has had the forethought to set up a Whatsapp group so that all owners can communicate easily and exchange contact details, advise the location of emergency keys etc. where necessary.

It might be that where there are close communities of boats, whether in a marina or on other moorings,  that others could think about setting up similar groups to help each other out if a potential willing “caretaker” is on site to help.

For example in a week or so’s time I might ask my neighbour to kindly go on board my ship and plug in the power for a day, just to top the batteries up, since it will be six weeks since I last attended on board and everything is normally left disconnected (except the pumps!).

Any such group requires the “caretaker” to go out and about a bit, but I think that could be defended as reasonable movement, perhaps indeed essential movement since if a boat sinks there could be significant environmental consequences.

In respect of insurance I would think that any good insurance company will understand the difficulties and react accordingly if there is an incident. That might not be the case for all insurers, but you pays yer money ..……. !   It might not be a bad idea however to email your insurers and notify them of the measures that you have taken to keep your boat safe. I certainly would not stick my head in the sand, particularly if you are in knowledge that your boat could, for example, fill up with rain water!

I find that a difficult scenario to live with as they are taking my money and should therefore provide the service. If they cannot check every boat every day they can do something I am sure, even if it is doing a few boats each day on a rota basis. In this case the marina is not without staff and the owners live on site. I would not keep my boat where there was not 24 hour cover, not unless that  mooring was on my doorstep. However as posted earlier they are keeping an eye on the boats - it seems I was not included on the marinas circulation list as I was originally only going to be there for the winter. Hence I did not see the email. So kudos to Fox's for picking up the gauntlet.

I have no reason to believe my boat will be anything other than ok. It is a trad narrowboat so is unlikely to take on water unless something like a window gets broken either by accident or......Unlikely yes. Impossible no. 

8 hours ago, Traveller said:

99% sure and certainly no communication at all since lockdown (except bills!). There is apparently something stuck in the office window but I am told that is about general admin - like order coal over the phone and pay by card. The marina itself is not locked down so if I went I could gain access (but obviously I won't go). Whilst we all call it a marina it is a high level yard really. It is not on the canals either, it is on the Middle Level.

But seeing as you have received that I will drop them a line immediately to see what they have in place re looking after berth holders. 

Thanks for the input.

A few have done that on the canals but only the non-resident boaters are banned. Those that live there are fine.

This is the e-mail that Paula sent out last week from Foxes

COVID-19 Coronavirus

As you may already be aware following an announcement from the government all holiday sites and other related business were asked to close by the government very late on Sunday evening.  Yesterday we closed the door to holiday makers.  The office is currently closed.

As the government has restricted all but non-essential travel please remain at your primary residence.  Tracey and I are keeping an eye on the moorings and any problems with you boat we will notify you.  If you need to contact us the best way is to email reception@foxboats.co.uk  we will get to your messages however with reduced staff it could take longer than normal. This will usually be between 9 and 10am.

If you are stuck on your boat and transport rules say that you cannot travel to your primary residence you will be able to obtain The following service pump-out, diesel for heating, gas and coal plus electric switch on by emailing a request. We will call you so that you can pay with a card.  You will then be given a time to visit for the service.  Whilst the service is being dispensed you must observe social distancing rules. It is likely that this will also be between 9 and 10am.

Mail will still be placed in mail boxes.  Please be mindful that any parcels you have delivered will be left outside on the steps if they are too large for your mail box and that we can accept no responsibility if these go missing. Most delivery companies are now emailing or texting to say when parcels arrive.

The safety of our staff and customers is our main priority.  Please observe these rules which are not of our making.  We look forward to things returning to normal as soon as possible and wish you a safe time.

Our website and social media channels will offer updates.

Regards.

Paula Syred & Tracey Baxter.

6 hours ago, Traveller said:

Most liveaboards in the marina do keep a eye for any problems and let the office know if they spot something. Moorers do tend to notice more, if anything unusual with their neighbours boats than the marina staff. There are 177 berths at Foxes, With most in use. Only four staff members live onsite.

Edited by nbfiresprite

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

Most liveaboards in the marina do keep a eye for any problems and let the office know if they spot something. Moorers do tend to notice more, if anything unusual with their neighbours boats than the marina staff 

Mine remooored our boat when the mooring rope failed in the storms

This was from Insure4boats

We appreciate that these are unprecedented times. With the current situation changing day by day, it’s hard to predict what will happen in the coming weeks. However, rest assured we are doing all we can to stay one step ahead of the situation and keep all our policyholders updated.

Our Customer Service team are here if you have any questions

We have taken steps so that the service our Customer Service team provides will be as unaffected as possible. All our staff are able to work from home to continue to provide the best possible service to our policyholders. However, given the nature of this situation, we are experiencing higher call volumes and may take a little longer than usual to respond to your query.

To save you time waiting on the phone, we have compiled a list of the common questions our Customer Service team is receiving which you can
view here. We’ll keep this blog updated so you can always access the latest information and we’d strongly advise that you check this blog first to see your question is answered, before calling us.

Boat owners urged to be mindful when using their boat

The announcement earlier in the week means we are all very much in uncharted waters. Marine Associations such as the Canal and River Trust are urging boat owners to be considerate and only use their boat if it is essential. This will help to keep vital facilities and services accessible to those that need them. You can read the advice in full here.

In the meantime, I wanted to take this opportunity to assure you that your insurance will remain uninterrupted during this period. You may be concerned that your boat may be left unattended and unused for longer periods of time than it usually would going into spring, but if you have opted to cover your craft then it will remain protected by your insurance policy. After all, I’m sure that in these tough times, any theft, loss or damage to your boat would be an unwelcome financial burden if it wasn’t insured. If you have opted for a Third Party Liability Only policy and wish to now to add Hull and Machinery cover to insure your craft as well, then simply call our customer service team on 0333 400 7087 who will be happy to help.

f you have any other questions about your insurance cover then please do have a look at the list of FAQs we have compiled.

You can refer to your policy documents for details of your cover

If you have any other questions regarding your insurance in general and what you’re covered for, please log in to your online account. From here you’ll be able to access your insurance documentation and check the terms and conditions of your policy. Please note that although these enhancements will not be reflected in the current policy documentation, you can rest assured they will apply should you need them.

If you still have questions and would like to speak to us please keep trying and we’ll speak to you as soon as we can. Call
0333 400 7087 or email us at admin@insure4boats.co.uk (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm). 

Stay safe,

John Woosey
Founder & Managing Director.

9 hours ago, Traveller said:

Its a bit early days yet to be worried about lack of maintenance.

Its not like you are alone in this. 

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Its a bit early days yet to be worried about lack of maintenance.

Its not like you are alone in this. 

I believe it best to be ahead rather than behind the curve.  Damage may not be due to lack of maintenance, but by not attending the boat regularly that damage will not be identified.

21 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

This is the e-mail that Paula sent out last week from Foxes

COVID-19 Coronavirus

As you may already be aware following an announcement from the government all holiday sites and other related business were asked to close by the government very late on Sunday evening.  Yesterday we closed the door to holiday makers.  The office is currently closed.

As the government has restricted all but non-essential travel please remain at your primary residence.  Tracey and I are keeping an eye on the moorings and any problems with you boat we will notify you.  If you need to contact us the best way is to email reception@foxboats.co.uk  we will get to your messages however with reduced staff it could take longer than normal. This will usually be between 9 and 10am.

If you are stuck on your boat and transport rules say that you cannot travel to your primary residence you will be able to obtain The following service pump-out, diesel for heating, gas and coal plus electric switch on by emailing a request. We will call you so that you can pay with a card.  You will then be given a time to visit for the service.  Whilst the service is being dispensed you must observe social distancing rules. It is likely that this will also be between 9 and 10am.

Mail will still be placed in mail boxes.  Please be mindful that any parcels you have delivered will be left outside on the steps if they are too large for your mail box and that we can accept no responsibility if these go missing. Most delivery companies are now emailing or texting to say when parcels arrive.

The safety of our staff and customers is our main priority.  Please observe these rules which are not of our making.  We look forward to things returning to normal as soon as possible and wish you a safe time.

Our website and social media channels will offer updates.

Regards.

Paula Syred & Tracey Baxter.

Thank you. But she did not send it to me, although I have since received a copy as reported in an earlier post.

3 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I believe it best to be ahead rather than behind the curve.  Damage may not be due to lack of maintenance, but by not attending the boat regularly that damage will not be identified.

You could pay a professional like a surveyor or a marine engineer  to go and check the boat for you..... if your marina will let them in .

Like I  said ... you are not alone.