Fishing off the back of my boat?

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

And do you think that would stop him anymore than the last few bans have?

No idea, but it would give some respite. The ignore function is pretty much useless here.

Are you saying that he is a serial offender/resurrected, (so?), and has previously been known by another name, or names?

17 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Interestingly, "trolling" in the internet sense comes directly from trolling as a fishing method so could be both.

Yes. Interestingly, trolling is banned on the canal. I don't think the thinking was to ban people fishing for predators by dragging a lure behind a moving boat, rather, it was to stop people dragging the canal for spilt coal close to the loading stations.  

38 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Had a couple of roach yesterday afternoon. Only small ones, but it was nice to be out on my cruiser deck doing more than staring into space.

"Don't tell 'em Pike!"  ;)

Anyway the notion that it's 'unfair' that I continue to fish while others are prevented from doing so holds no water.

Government workers are paid their full whack regardless of whether they're working or not. Other's don't. That's not fair.

People who have gardens can sit out and have a barbeque. Those living in flats are only allowed out for a walk or to go to the shops. That's not fair. Perhaps those who have gardens shouldn't use them 'in solidarity' with people who live in flats?

People living on boats can fish off their boats without having to travel, or pose any risk to anyone else. That's not fair.

Some might utter the cliché 'we're all in this together' but that's all it is, a cliché, it bears no resemblance to the reality of the situation.

47 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

No idea, but it would give some respite. The ignore function is pretty much useless here.

Are you saying that he is a serial offender/resurrected, (so?), and has previously been known by another name, or names?

The OP was almost immediately outed when he first started posting as having previously posting here as "Ricco". For some reason, the mods don't seem to mind. 

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

"Don't tell 'em Pike!"  ;)

I'd love to have a walk along the canal with my lure rod and winkle out a couple of pike. I won't though, as I'd be outside my property and as such, no different to anyone else who wanted to fish.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The OP was almost immediately outed when he first started posting as having previously posting here as "Ricco". For some reason, the mods don't seem to mind. 

Another frustrated prefect, I see.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What about "We are all in this together" spirit when you sit and fish because you feel you can, but others cant

I thought I'd covered that? Others may well be able to do things that I can't. For example, some of them might not have lost all of their income but have no recourse to the benefits system, as I have. I wouldn't expect them to refuse their wages and/ or benefits, just because I can't get them. 

On 28/03/2020 at 23:36, The Welsh Cruiser said:

if I set up my gear on my cruiser deck some bright spark might come along, refer me to the sign then infer that I'm being irresponsible, risking lives etc. I don't want to waste energy by explaining that this is part of my home, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their gardens

Instead of "bright spark" try literate.

As 16% of UK adults are functionally illiterate, then given the evidence that you can be seen fishing next to a notice saying "Don't" might easily suggest to a passer by that you fall into that minority group and you should be grateful for their benevolent assistance.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Instead of "bright spark" try literate.

As 16% of UK adults are functionally illiterate, then given the evidence that you can be seen fishing next to a notice saying "Don't" might easily suggest to a passer by that you fall into that minority group and you should be grateful for their benevolent assistance.

That's true, I'd then have a conversation with them. Perhaps I'd begin by asking them why they are passing a moored boat, when the very same sign says they shouldn't do this.

10 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

That's true, I'd then have a conversation with them. Perhaps I'd begin by asking them why they are passing a moored boat, when the very same sign says they shouldn't do this.

A self inflicted confrontation.

Would you consider filming the pair of you getting your just rewards? I'm running out of amusing clips on YouTube that are canal related.

My Mother would have been furious with you.  She always told me two wrongs don't make a right.

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

It doesn't - does it? Only non-essential travel is banned - at the moment. But if too many folk push the boundaries, they will surely move.

20 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It doesn't - does it? Only non-essential travel is banned - at the moment. But if too many folk push the boundaries, they will surely move.

The sign says they should avoid walking past moored boats. To avoid walking past moored boats they should walk elsewhere. Only boaters should be walking past moored boats.

I genuinely didn't see any issue before this thread and frankly still don't, sat on the back of my boat fishing, it can all be done without even stepping on the towpath.

If the weather was decent and I had the time I would likely do it myself, it would stop me using the stale bread to make another bread/bread butter pudding as well

• Greenie 2

Magnetic fishing. Draw and colour in little fishes on card and cut out, slip a paper clip onto each fish, place fish into a bucket. Make a rod from a stick, length of string and a little horseshoe magnet on the end. Dangle it in the bucket to catch the fish. You can also fish unkseen through the weed hatch., like Eskimo's do through a hole in the ice.

Eskimo burglars use a blow lamp.