Fishing off the back of my boat?

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

There are large and very clear signs at the entrance to our marina that say 'No Fishing'  but people do fish there right next to the sign . Lock approaches that are well signed are also popular  fishing spots .

Why do people think they are exempt from rules and regulations  ?

'cos polis normally have better things to do, now it's about training joe public not to break the law. If folks persist the Army will be bought in to support Police, we are a long way from that, at the moment.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Was it really? [sarcastic grin]. The point remains that you saw fit to ask the question, but I suspect that deep down the reason for your question was that you already knew the answer was "no" but you were seeking justification for your self-exception. 

The case of the shopkeeper drawing chalk lines is completely different, as she (presumably and allegedly) was doing it for reasons do to with the public good. If the prosecution ever came to court (which, frankly, is unlikely) I'm pretty sure it would be dismissed (although I do have my doubts about the veracity of your source anyway).  

Of course it would be dismissed, she has an actual defence in law to the alleged crime, making the fact that the officer concerned, continued with his action reprehensible. Still at least his mug is now plastered all over the internet, highlighting what a tit he is. I sincerely hope the lady in question, has received some legal advice, and does not pay the ticket if one was issued.

Edited by Phil.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

There's a whole army of vigilantes out there full of indignation and just itching to phone the Jeremy Vine show or write letters to the paper if they see anyone not following the 'rules'. I think our fishing friend has hooked and played some of us like the fish he is after.

Having said that I think cycling should be banned. Groups of cyclists belting along all breathing hard and leaving a plume of virus laden air like the smoke and steam of an asthmatic steam loco in their wake really get my goat. They're all out again this morning pretending to get 'exercise' and even on the little paths in the woods they're  forcing the dog and I to leap into the brambles. Grrrr.

Roofing tacks, bigger dog

13 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I noticed a CRT notice close to where I'm moored, related to the corona virus which included 'no fishing'.

I like to do a couple of hours fishing off my cruiser deck from time to time. I've more time on my hands now, like many others. The boat is cleaner than its ever been, I have a good walk each day, or a kayak. There's some other jobs to do on the boat but I can't get the materials at the moment. I'd like to do a bit of fishing to pass the time.

I'm pretty certain that if someone was say, cleaning the outside of their boat, or doing a bit of painting, cleaning the outside of the windows etc. etc. nobody would bat an eyelid. But if I set up my gear on my cruiser deck some bright spark might come along, refer me to the sign then infer that I'm being irresponsible, risking lives etc. I don't want to waste energy by explaining that this is part of my home, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their gardens etc. etc. I don't want any conflict but equally, there's no risk in doing it. Common sense and all that.

What do you think?

I'm living on my boat and I can move to the services when I need to. That's no different in practise from moving from water point to water point always in the same direction as far as reducing infection is concerned, but I'm not doing that because  the majority of boat owners are banned from moving their boats. It seems fair not to take advantage of my position to do stuff they can't.

Similarly most fisherman as locked in their houses and can't fish. Not fishing if you're on a boat would be showing some solidarity with them.

MP.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Izz said:

It's kinder to kill things before deep frying them in batter. Unless we're talking about crayfish, who I imagine one boils alive as is traditional with lobsters.

Well if they're signal crayfish, an invasive imported species which is wiping out the native crayfish in spite of being banned, you'd be doing our wildlife a favour. And they taste delicious...

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Well if they're signal crayfish, an invasive imported species which is wiping out the native crayfish in spite of being banned, you'd be doing our wildlife a favour. And they taste delicious...

Please put them to sleep in freezer and cut spinal processes, then uber huge pot and plunge.

I had a Teso bag full of shellfish of all sorts given to me. Freeze, stab, hard boil, never again

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

From the lockdown point of view. Are you ok sitting on the sterndeck? If the answer to that is yes then I don't see the difference. "No fishing" is about people driving to the canal, walking along the towpath and setting up camp in a public place. Suppose a police officer shows up and tells you to stop, you lift the hook out of the water and nothing else changes. Pointless.

In the absence of words to the contrary, I'd interpret the words, "NO FISHING", to mean No Fishing.

If some doubt exists in the mind of the reader, they could call CRT for clarity. As MtB says above, I'd guess they would tell the caller that it means what it says.

As for anyone questioning the fisherman on his boat.... they should not be walking, never mind stopping to talk, past/by a boat moored on the towpath.

Just now, Richard10002 said:

As for anyone questioning the fisherman on his boat.... they should not be walking, never mind stopping to talk, past/by a boat moored on the towpath.

Why not, If I was a local angler I would probably take my exercise walking along the canal.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why not, If I was a local angler I would probably take my exercise walking along the canal.

Because the CRT sign that says NO FISHING, also says that you should not walk past boats moored on the towpath. (The ones I have seen images of do... there may be variations).

The bottom line with all of the instructions/advice/rules during this pandemic is that it is the equivalent of an honesty box as there are not enough resources to enforce it and policy is to encourage. Even if there were the resources, (The Armed Forces are available), I'd guess that government has decided that tough enforcement would lead to a worse outcome.

Thus.... if Welshy wants to fish off the back of his boat, he could go ahead and see what happens. He almost certainly wont be thrown in the slammer. At worst, he might be advised/asked by someone "official", to observe the sign. He might be also be approached by members of the public with similar advice/requests.

If I saw him fishing off the back of his boat, not far from a CRT sign saying "No Fishing", I'd think he was a bit of a ********, (insert your own word here). :) 

• Greenie 2

For simplicity I would put a plastic bag (recyclable, obviously) over the "no fishing" sign.

As for the lady with the chalk marks on the pavement, she clearly is a witch and should be nurned at the stake, maybe she is responsible for the virus curse?

Edited by system 4-50

17 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

For simplicity I would put a plastic bag (recyclable, obviously) over the "no fishing" sign.

As for the lady with the chalk marks on the pavement, she clearly is a witch and should be nurned at the stake, maybe she is responsible for the virus curse?

I say - we no longer nurn people in this country!

• Happy 1

23 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

But if I set up my gear on my cruiser deck some bright spark might come along, refer me to the sign then infer that I'm being irresponsible, risking lives etc. I don't want to waste energy by explaining that this is part of my home, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their gardens etc. etc. I don't want any conflict but equally, there's no risk in doing it. Common sense and all that.

Presumably when you say 'fishing from your boat' you actually mean you are fishing in the water ?

You go on to say 'you can do whatever you like in your own garden', which is not true for a start, but, that aside, you own your garden, you have no ownership (or any other rights) to the water around your boat.

You have a licence to allow you to float-your boat on the water, you do not have permission to do anything else in the water.

12 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The no fishing 'law' was intended to stop people driving to canals, lugging the gear then sitting there all day, possibly with a group of mates. It was not intended to restrict what boaters can do within their own property which, just as with people who live in houses and flats, isn't restricted.

If that’s what CRT told you when you called and asked then, you should get fishing!

If you haven’t called them, you are making it up to suit you.

Have you caught anything Mister?

The obvious thing to do is that form of fishing known as "trolling". Stick a rod in the cockpit with a line in the water with nothing on the end but a weight. Indistinguishable from fishing but with the advantage that it will infuriate watchers without breaking the prohibition. It will of course advance the spread of the virus just as much as actually fishing, ie zero.

• Haha 2