Fishing off the back of my boat?

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

Most angling clubs have closed their waters. Same as when foot and mouth.

When I dangle off the bote (very regular little 1 or two hour sessions at end of day) I sit in the well deck and zip down the towpath side cratch cover. This is mainly to keep the wind off me..... actually it's to prevent people asking me whether I have caught anything!  :)  and dogs jumping in the boat to get the bait.

Edited by mark99

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

As the the original question, I see no problem with it, it's likely to be others moaning that's the issue, 

But who would these "others" be? People who aren't supposed to be there anyway?

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If you are a true fisherman you would know that it is the closed season for fishing until June 17. Have you got a rod licence ?

Is that so on the canals?

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Is that so on the canals?

As usual with CRT there is no black and white answer but changes depending on where you are. Please see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/coarse-fishing-close-season?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6fWNu7W_6AIVy7TtCh2rlgAtEAAYASAAEgK1c_D_BwE for the answer. But you need a permit

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Certainly true on the Basingstoke Canal

It seems there is no closed season on most canals 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/angling-strategies/fishing-faqs

In any case you can't fish in any canal or river for free - need permits and rod license .

edit 

beaten to it 

Edited by MartynG

Sometimes it's better not to ask especially when you are only looking for a positive answer. Clearly the no fishing signs are not aimed at boaters fishing off their boats but plenty of others will complain just because there's a sign saying "No fishing". You could argue it should read "No fishing from the towpath".

I would do it and justify why when some arrogant dodo challenges you, but then you can challenge arrogant dodo as to why they are in your space. anyway. 

• Greenie 2

Wot's a false angler? One involving i ? (Or j, for electrical engineers). That woud be an imaginary angler.

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Clearly the no fishing signs are not aimed at boaters fishing off their boats

It's not clear to me.

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No!

"No fishing" means not dangling maggots in the canal and drowning them. The instruction is clear and succinct.

Who is any one of us to determine why any notice is posted: it isn't always obvious.

This endless stream of self-exception by people bleating about their "rights" is starting to get on my proverbials. 

Like the shop keeper in London who got booked for criminal damage for drawing chalk lines on the pavement outside her shop to separate customers who were waiting.

Criminal damage is criminal damage innit.

Fishing is fishing innit.

Rules is rules innit. 

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

How is that "like"?

Like as in a comparable scenario, rather than a matter of enjoyment. The criminal damage laws weren't intended to restrict people doing something temporary, with a positive purpose. The no fishing 'law' was intended to stop people driving to canals, lugging the gear then sitting there all day, possibly with a group of mates. It was not intended to restrict what boaters can do within their own property which, just as with people who live in houses and flats, isn't restricted.

6 hours ago, Ange said:

Yes right, kill anything that offends you. Oh hang on that might be you ...

It's kinder to kill things before deep frying them in batter. Unless we're talking about crayfish, who I imagine one boils alive as is traditional with lobsters.

Edited by Izz

There are large and very clear signs at the entrance to our marina that say 'No Fishing'  but people do fish there right next to the sign . Lock approaches that are well signed are also popular  fishing spots .

Why do people think they are exempt from rules and regulations  ?

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The no fishing 'law' was intended to stop people driving to canals, lugging the gear then sitting there all day, possibly with a group of mates.

Was it really? [sarcastic grin]. The point remains that you saw fit to ask the question, but I suspect that deep down the reason for your question was that you already knew the answer was "no" but you were seeking justification for your self-exception. 

The case of the shopkeeper drawing chalk lines is completely different, as she (presumably and allegedly) was doing it for reasons do to with the public good. If the prosecution ever came to court (which, frankly, is unlikely) I'm pretty sure it would be dismissed (although I do have my doubts about the veracity of your source anyway).  

59 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Sometimes it's better not to ask especially when you are only looking for a positive answer. Clearly the no fishing signs are not aimed at boaters fishing off their boats but plenty of others will complain just because there's a sign saying "No fishing". You could argue it should read "No fishing from the towpath".

I would do it and justify why when some arrogant dodo challenges you, but then you can challenge arrogant dodo as to why they are in your space. anyway. 

This makes you sound like the people who pick and choose which laws they obey and which they don't..

This is a  NATIONAL EMERGENCY, keep a low profile. 

This is just the start.

Caeser's wife

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

There's a whole army of vigilantes out there full of indignation and just itching to phone the Jeremy Vine show or write letters to the paper if they see anyone not following the 'rules'. I think our fishing friend has hooked and played some of us like the fish he is after.

Having said that I think cycling should be banned. Groups of cyclists belting along all breathing hard and leaving a plume of virus laden air like the smoke and steam of an asthmatic steam loco in their wake really get my goat. They're all out again this morning pretending to get 'exercise' and even on the little paths in the woods they're  forcing the dog and I to leap into the brambles. Grrrr.

The Angling Trust has a dedicated page with updates https://joinanglingtrust.net/covid19-individual-anglers/  

This is their current advice

Latest advice - stop fishing and stay safe

We must all do what is required of us by the Government and work together to fight this pandemic. Therefore, until further notice we should all refrain from fishing. This is about saving lives and supporting the NHS. We have been in contact with the Government regarding its view on fishing as a permitted activity and hope to update you all shortly.

Edited by GRLMK38
Update
  • Greenie 1