Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Lily Rose

Busy towpaths and CRT's response

Featured Posts

 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-52047540

 

Can't say I'm very impressed with CRT's response to this issue. I'm glad not to be stuck on a boat on the towpath side at the moment and sympathise with those who are.

 

Yes, people need exercise (I know I do) but surely at least as important is being able to maintain the 2 metre distance. I am now avoiding urban footpaths and sticking to pavements for that reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you only need to keep 2 mts from people, not the outsides of their boats. If they are bothered about people passing just stay inside like people in houses do. I would rather be on a boat on the towpath than in a small house of flat in a town with no outside space at all. Sit in the cratch in the sunshine with the bank side flap down. 

 

If people are forming gropes on the towpath that is something else and those actions will impact on us all just as much as boaters

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-52047540

 

Can't say I'm very impressed with CRT's response to this issue. I'm glad not to be stuck on a boat on the towpath side at the moment and sympathise with those who are.

 

Yes, people need exercise (I know I do) but surely at least as important is being able to maintain the 2 metre distance. I am now avoiding urban footpaths and sticking to pavements for that reason.

 

Maybe Nina should take over from Dianne Abbot (or maybe she actually works for the C&RT tow-path users statistics department, the one that claims 400 million users per year)

 

Nina Marie, who lives next to the canal in Bathampton, Somerset, posted on Facebook that she had counted more than 3,700 people pass her cottage on Thursday.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

If people are forming gropes on the towpath that is something else

 

Alex Salmond has been cleared of all charges,

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

 

 

If people are forming gropes on the towpath that is something else and those actions will impact on us all just as much as boaters

I would tell 'em to go and grope somewhere more private .....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I would tell 'em to go and grope somewhere more private .....

Someone asked me if I was going out 'dogging', I said no - I took him out earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a very good comment in that newspaper article from a local boater, something like "we don't mind walkers but object to runners panting and spitting and not keeping their distance". From my own observations this is very true.

 

..................Dave

  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe Nina should take over from Dianne Abbot (or maybe she actually works for the C&RT tow-path users statistics department, the one that claims 400 million users per year)

 

Nina Marie, who lives next to the canal in Bathampton, Somerset, posted on Facebook that she had counted more than 3,700 people pass her cottage on Thursday.

 

Yeah! It might have been the same person going past 3,700 times. 

 

Obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Yeah! It might have been the same person going past 3,700 times. 

 

Obviously. 

So in say a 6 hr day that would be just over 600 an hour which is around 1 every 6 seconds. I hope she didnt go in to make tea ofr have a wee of she could have missed several hundred 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you only need to keep 2 mts from people, not the outsides of their boats. If they are bothered about people passing just stay inside like people in houses do. I would rather be on a boat on the towpath than in a small house of flat in a town with no outside space at all. Sit in the cratch in the sunshine with the bank side flap down. 

 

If people are forming gropes on the towpath that is something else and those actions will impact on us all just as much as boaters

Well said, Brian.
Not so sure about groping on the towpath though; might get arrested for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Well said, Brian.
Not so sure about groping on the towpath though; might get arrested for that.

That's what I said, they shouldn't be doing it. I now see in Nantwich they have been sprinkling drawing pins on the towpath. The local police got punchers in their bike tyres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The local police got punchers in their bike tyres

I'm sure punching a police officer (or their tyres) is an offence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dmr said:

There was a very good comment in that newspaper article from a local boater, something like "we don't mind walkers but object to runners panting and spitting and not keeping their distance". From my own observations this is very true.

 

..................Dave

not to mention cyclists

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

 

 

If people are forming gropes on the towpath that is something else and those actions will impact on us all just as much as boaters

 

dDy08ie.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

not to mention cyclists

 

dDy08ie.jpg

Reported

Mrs Whitehouse

🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-52047540

 

Can't say I'm very impressed with CRT's response to this issue. I'm glad not to be stuck on a boat on the towpath side at the moment and sympathise with those who are.

 

Yes, people need exercise (I know I do) but surely at least as important is being able to maintain the 2 metre distance. I am now avoiding urban footpaths and sticking to pavements for that reason.

 

 

That report relates to last weekend, when there were a lot of people on the towpath either side of Bradford on Avon. Since then the Local Council has asked people, apart from those who are moored there, not to walk on the towpath.  C&RT are almost correct in saying "it is not practical nor desirable to shut paths", one of the problems being that the Towpath between Bath and Bradford on Avon is designated as a "Right of Way" rather than a "Permitted Access" path which means they can only close it with a closure order, which is quite a complicated proceedure. It was actually part of my job, as Parish Clerk at the time, to manage closure of the towpath from Avoncliffe to Dundas, during the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001, but The Parish Council was able to do it under a general Government approved order submitted by the County Council.  Having said that C&RT could still apply for an order, but seem unwilling to to so.

 

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The Parish Council was able to do it under a general Government approved order submitted by the County Council.  Having said that C&RT could still apply for an order, but seem unwilling to to so.

A very valid point. It worked with foot & mouth and is just as relevant now, because most footpath are also not wide enough for the 2m rule. This requires Government action to deal with the limp excuse of CaRT.

The F&M regulations were very wide ranging. The local council suspended our rubbish collection because the unmade up, unadopted ,road serving various properties was also a public footpath!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

 

That report relates to last weekend, when there were a lot of people on the towpath either side of Bradford on Avon. Since then the Local Council has asked people, apart from those who are moored there, not to walk on the towpath.  C&RT are almost correct in saying "it is not practical nor desirable to shut paths", one of the problems being that the Towpath between Bath and Bradford on Avon is designated as a "Right of Way" rather than a "Permitted Access" path which means they can only close it with a closure order, which is quite a complicated proceedure. It was actually part of my job, as Parish Clerk at the time, to manage closure of the towpath from Avoncliffe to Dundas, during the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001, but The Parish Council was able to do it under a general Government approved order submitted by the County Council.  Having said that C&RT could still apply for an order, but seem unwilling to to so.

 

 

 

But once it has a closure order it closed to everyone. The boaters cant sit out on the towpath or walk their dogs etc.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But once it has a closure order it closed to everyone. The boaters cant sit out on the towpath or walk their dogs etc.

I am not sure about that, the closure would only relate to Public Right of Way status being withdrawn, C&RT would still have control of the towpath.   From recollection, the footpath closure in 2001 only related to the general public, but the towpath could still be used by boat owners in relation to the navigation and management of their boat. I was certainly still permitted to access my boat which was on a short term winter mooring.

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sueb said:

Does anyone in CRT management remember the foot and mouth restrictions?

 

Just rereading a boak from that time, "The Water Road" by Paul Gotarty  which is set about then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the idea that residential boats on the towpath  have any more right to the towpath than local house owners and  ratepayers. Next boatowner i see walking through the village on having parked on our street i will tell to social distance off.

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Love the idea that residential boats on the towpath  have any more right to the towpath than local house owners and  ratepayers. Next boatowner i see walking through the village on having parked on our street i will tell to social distance off.

The General Public have always had restricted access to the towpath ever since the canals were built. Historicaly the towpath is an intergral part of the canal infrastructure, and until comparatively recent times it could only be used unchallenged for the bona fida navigation of a boat. Anyone else wanting to walk or cycle on the towpath had to pay for a Towpath Walking or Cycling licence, and I can remember them still being issued on the Grand Union in the 1960's. I can also remember the BCN being locked off from the public, and keys were only available from lock keepers to open the doors which were located next to roadway bridges.

 

In more recent years BW relaxed the regualation regarding walking and cycling on the towpath but, except where the topwpath became dedicted as a "Public Right of Way", the towpath retained the status of "Permitted Access" for the general Public, which the Waterways Authority had the right withdraw any time There also used to be a condition in the licence regulations which permitted each boat to have two bicycles, to be used only in connection with the bona fida navigation of the boat. Practice has changed a lot in recent years, but as far as I know, all the regulations still remain in place although no longer enforced.

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Love the idea that residential boats on the towpath  have any more right to the towpath than local house owners and  ratepayers. Next boaatowner i see walking through the village on having parked on our street i will tell to social distance off.

Arguably they have, given that boaters pay c.£1k licence fee a year (plus mooring fees in many cases) to the towpath owner CRT whilst walkers pay nothing.

 

In any case, walking past boats (which CRT have asked people not to do) is not the only issue. Most towpaths are nowhere near wide enough for two walkers to pass each other with two metres between them so people out for their daily exercise owe it to themselves, as well as others, to avoid being in such a situation. That's before you even get on to the issue of all the other people further down the chain of infection who could be hospitalised or even die if towpath walkers pick up or pass on the virus due to ignoring the clear government instruction to maintain 2 metre distance.

 

Edited by Lily Rose
  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.